• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • Member No: 62247
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 06:59 AM

Hi,  yesterday I ran my tractor for an hour or more while I used an atv winch to pull my chicken coop up onto a trailer to transport.  Well thats a little beside the point, but you know people like to hear what you did with your GT today.

So as I pulled away with the coop loaded (among the heaviest loads it's ever pulled) the mowing deck started spinning.  I clicked the PTO switch back and forth a few times, when it was on the blades of course went full speed, and when off, they surged back and forth a little, but did pick up to feel speed.

So the PTO is dragging.  Later in the garage I shut down the engine, removed the belt and turned the PTO by hand.  There was obvious friction and a nasty grinding noise.  Then I flipped the switch with (engine still off) and turned again.  The PTO was locked and with the little force I could produce I could feel the cylinders moving.  It's sounds better with the PTO engaged. 

The tractor is a Deere 317 with a Kohler Magnum 18, restored and repowered, and bought at auction, so I don't know poo about the history.  It's been a lovely machine and super reliable so far.

So where should I start in fixing this?  Would a new PTO unit solve it, is the dragging bearing or surface likely to be housed in the PTO?

Is there any harm in using the tractor with nothing attached to the PTO and always on?  

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Sounds like a bearing locking up in there! Time to take it apart and fix. If that isn't possible right now, take the belt off it and leave it turned on.

• MH81, Alc, Trav1s and 3 others have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Kenny P hit it dead square in my opinion.  Some are designed not to be repaired but with some careful tool work they can be repaired.  Anything that goes together, can be taken apart.

Edited by chieffan, August 30, 2015 - 08:37 AM.

• VillageGreenDeere said thank you

#4 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 10:08 PM

Today I decided to try some mowing, lawn was long and I was thinking that if PTO is engaged I should be fine.  Well that tractor kept shutting down.  No stalling, more like it was losing it's ground and just shutting off.  PTO on or Off, it just kept doing it.  So I limped back to garage and got into it.  I couldn't imagine why but I figured it had to due to with that PTO.

The PTO came off pretty easy and looks a little trashed.  See Pictures.  I don't know much about how a PTO works, but I'm imagining that the exposed copper could have been shorting out the tractor?  Who thinks that is what caused it?

I posted a few months back that after giving the tractor a thorough bath I had the same shut down issues.  Few days later, back to normal.  Was that moisture creating the connectivity in a worn area to short it out?

It's no wonder saturday did it in, the tractor ran for probably an hour or more to power the winch as I slowly worked that chicken coop into position.  I was lucky it didn't shut down then.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3541.jpg
  • IMG_3542.jpg

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 05:26 AM

I have a Mag 18 and found the PTO clutch from a B&S Horizontal 18 HP fit it just fine. Not sure if that is repairable.

• Alc and VillageGreenDeere have said thanks

#6 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 06:07 AM

A Vanguard 18?

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 06:21 AM

A Vanguard 18?

No, the older L-Head twins. Not sure if the Vanguard has the same setup. Engine model # 422437, Sears # on the clutch is 109550X. This came off an 80's Craftsman II 18 HP.

• VillageGreenDeere said thank you

#8 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 06:32 AM

Does it make any sense that this was electrically shutting down the tractor.  I'm really curious if I have another issue that is about to rear it's head.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 06:59 AM

That I cannot answer! If it creating a direct short, then I would say yes it could. Try running the engine without it on there and see how it does!

• Alc said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 07:38 AM

Here's a pic of the Sears PTO on my Mag 18.

2015-09-04 09.12.10.jpg