#1 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 11:32 AM

I've had a 'new to me' car trailer sitting in the driveway for about a month..  I got a spark yesterday and spent all day on the thing..  The deck boards were crumbling so they were ripped off the trailer and put in the truck for disposal..  We took the wood over to the town barns for the upcoming dump days..  Next up was the framework...  There was a bunch of rust under the deck to bust up and remove..  The hammers and the air chisels got a good workout prepping the frame for rust converting and then paint..  @ about 21"00 tonight I thought I should have took some pictures of the process..  Oh well..  Once the framework was prepped I had to fab up and replace / repair one of the D-ring mounts on the front..  I broke out the Miller and burned the thing into place..  Next up was fabbing up some plates to keep the ramps from sliding up into the rear axle..  The previous steel hunks were gone..  

I had some old tractor frame hunks which fit the bill just fine..  One of them was an ell and need to be straightened out..  While I was horsing the vise and clamping the corner and straightening the piece out I was really putting pressure on the old vise..  SNAP!!  I busted my old vise I've had for 25 years!!   GRRR

I still gotta fab up the other stop bracket and some light holders then wire the thing up and paint it..

After that I gotta find new wood for the deck..  It had tongue in groove and its been a chore finding suitable replacement wood..  

The project is on hold until after the weekend..  I know I'll cough up a half pound of metal dust tomorrow..

Well here's a few pic's of the frame after de-rustage and in the midst of weld repairs:

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

• grnspot110, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 07:24 PM

That looks much better than mine did to start with! I think a tennis ball would have rolled to center from any corner!

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 09:12 PM

T&G white oak?

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 09:04 AM

I've used T and G, but it still seperates some when it dries more. Never opened up, but did make grooves for all the dirt to collect in. It was treated is all. I have also taken 2x's and just cut my one corners off, rabbet I guess might be full length making each one on opposite side of board, sort of a one sided t & g. That worked OK, but still seperates when drying. All new woods seperate after awhile. Use long pipe clamps if you have to draw them up to each other good, that is best I've found to keep them close. I've never done the Oak boards thing, but guess they last long time, compared to treated.  Never had much like with painting or sealing any of them, tried many things. I once bought horse pen paint, black, and thought it was gonna be the best, but after a year outdoors even that seems to just dissapear.  Not sure what happens to the paints on these boards?