I've had a 'new to me' car trailer sitting in the driveway for about a month.. I got a spark yesterday and spent all day on the thing.. The deck boards were crumbling so they were ripped off the trailer and put in the truck for disposal.. We took the wood over to the town barns for the upcoming dump days.. Next up was the framework... There was a bunch of rust under the deck to bust up and remove.. The hammers and the air chisels got a good workout prepping the frame for rust converting and then paint.. @ about 21"00 tonight I thought I should have took some pictures of the process.. Oh well.. Once the framework was prepped I had to fab up and replace / repair one of the D-ring mounts on the front.. I broke out the Miller and burned the thing into place.. Next up was fabbing up some plates to keep the ramps from sliding up into the rear axle.. The previous steel hunks were gone..
I had some old tractor frame hunks which fit the bill just fine.. One of them was an ell and need to be straightened out.. While I was horsing the vise and clamping the corner and straightening the piece out I was really putting pressure on the old vise.. SNAP!! I busted my old vise I've had for 25 years!! GRRR
I still gotta fab up the other stop bracket and some light holders then wire the thing up and paint it..
After that I gotta find new wood for the deck.. It had tongue in groove and its been a chore finding suitable replacement wood..
The project is on hold until after the weekend.. I know I'll cough up a half pound of metal dust tomorrow..
Well here's a few pic's of the frame after de-rustage and in the midst of weld repairs: