16 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 08:31 AM

I saw a post on Facebook that a guy was selling a Sears. He lived close by so I decided to go take a look. The tractor is a Suburban 15 and came with a snow plow. I don't know much about it other than its supposed to run decent. Tried starting yesterday and it had no spark so I figure the points need cleaned. Only have one picture for now, I will take more soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• suburban 15.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, MH81 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 09:13 AM

they are good machines not hard to trace no spark either. 

• rustyoldjunk and farmerall have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 12:12 PM

Snatch that one up!

• rustyoldjunk and farmerall have said thanks

#4 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 01:01 PM

Snatch that one up!

I already did. I haven't decided what I'll do with it yet though. I'll clean it up and sell it come winter or most likely use it as an organ donor for another project.

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 03:49 PM

That is the exact model tractor that I've been looking for.

Darn you lol.Don't pull the engine man there really good tractors and pretty hard to find around here.I know where there are 3 SS14s but they want a bit to much for them.The SS15 is a beast.

Best thing about it is the old Suburbans are simple to work on and those old briggs are darn near Bomb proof.

If I had the money I would get it off of you.

I'm going to pick up an old 66 Suburban this evening.Guy up the road wants my 12 Hydrotrac.

• farmerall said thank you

#6 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 10:43 PM

get it running and use it dont part it out or other stuff like that. u do understand ss14s are one year only and so are the ss15s but thats a sub 15 which was made only one year also lol but  the regular sub 15s are harder to find.n the made more ss15s than regular sub 15s

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak, August 29, 2015 - 10:43 PM.

• KennyP and farmerall have said thanks

#7 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 02:24 PM

get it running and use it dont part it out or other stuff like that. u do understand ss14s are one year only and so are the ss15s but thats a sub 15 which was made only one year also lol but the regular sub 15s are harder to find.n the made more ss15s than regular sub 15s

I'm still undecided, I will look at it depth more tomorrow. The problem is that I already have more than enough working tractors that sit around. So this one will get sold one way or another after I decide its fate.

#8 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 06:02 PM

I'm still undecided, I will look at it depth more tomorrow. The problem is that I already have more than enough working tractors that sit around. So this one will get sold one way or another after I decide its fate.

well i know ill get some hate for this. but i have owned onan, tecumseh powered sears and ill tell you what the briggs is strong and tons of power i know the onan has more torque but my briggs blew away the tec powered st16 i had. onan was good too but i sold the ss16 i had after fuel pump went out. now my fleet is 3 cast iron briggs powered subs. yea they give me fits once in a while but nothing major

#9 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:01 PM

I already did. I haven't decided what I'll do with it yet though. I'll clean it up and sell it come winter or most likely use it as an organ donor for another project.

Ouch...that hurts.... :poke: :D

#10 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:26 AM

Here are a few better pictures of the Suburban 15. The first picture made it look better than it actually is. It's seen its fair share of use over the years and has a few rust problems too. One bonus is that the rear tires look relatively new. I need to get it running first before I decide its fate.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03736.JPG
  • DSC03737.JPG
  • DSC03738.JPG
  • DSC03739.JPG

#11 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 01:01 PM

Take the rear tires off and load it up and bring it out to me I'll give you my old 66 Suburban 12 for it.hahaha

My old sears needs quite a bit of work done to it.It's been sitting under a lean to for the past 20+ years.Hey I'm up to the challenge

I have to eliminate the points on this one.Bolt snapped off in the block for the points and it's missing the plunger.Good thing I have a Nova II module and some Quick Steel in the shed somewhere.Head is cracked from PO trying to install a Helicoil.I have a head for it though.Yep mine is rough but she's a big old Tank of a tractor.I named her Sassy Sally.

Hey I got this one from it's original Owner.He swears it ran like a new one before it got parked due to a bad ignition switch over 20 years ago.

100_1427.JPG

LOL I know it has the wrong fenders on it.I don't care.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 31, 2015 - 01:09 PM.

• KennyP and farmerall have said thanks

#12 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 07:35 PM

it looks better than my sub 14 lol. first one is ss15 then my sub 14 (was left outside all the time since new until i got it) then my beater in the back early model ss14

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0604.JPG

• EricFromPa and farmerall have said thanks

#13 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:20 PM

I got sometime to mess with this tractor today. Found that the carb bowl was full of water. After that was drained I learned that there wasn't any gas coming out of the tank, the outlet was plugged full of rust. So after removing the stock tank and replacing it with a plastic one the tractor runs again. I drove it around the yard too and can't say I'm impressed, it just doesn't feel comfortable to operate.

Take the rear tires off and load it up and bring it out to me I'll give you my old 66 Suburban 12 for it.hahaha

My old sears needs quite a bit of work done to it.It's been sitting under a lean to for the past 20+ years.Hey I'm up to the challenge

I have to eliminate the points on this one.Bolt snapped off in the block for the points and it's missing the plunger.Good thing I have a Nova II module and some Quick Steel in the shed somewhere.Head is cracked from PO trying to install a Helicoil.I have a head for it though.Yep mine is rough but she's a big old Tank of a tractor.I named her Sassy Sally.

Hey I got this one from it's original Owner.He swears it ran like a new one before it got parked due to a bad ignition switch over 20 years ago.

attachicon.gif100_1427.JPG

LOL I know it has the wrong fenders on it.I don't care.

I'd be tempted to take you up on your offer if it was an orange Suburban lol.

#14 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:25 PM

what doesnt feel right? lol the briggs are hard to tune in just right

#15 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:49 PM

It's that board under the seat. Just get a different seat and spray paint over that "hers" on the back and you'll love it for sure. A little TLC will go a long way on that tractor. I love both my Suburbans and I think they ride better than the Customs I have. They are all cast iron mules that run like there is no tomorrow, but the bigger frame Suburbans are definitly my favorites. You should fix that one up and get rid of one of the other tractors you got. Justy make sure you show pictures of them all so we can tell you which ones we want, I mean might sell fastest. LOL!!!!