• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 03:12 PM

Well last night I was going to the fire house. As I drove past the house where said Wheel Horse lives, the lady I spoke to earlier came running down the driveway waving her arms. So I stop not sure if she remembers me from the Firs Dept and the Ambulance or if she wants to talk about the tractor. She walks up to the truck and asks if I still want to buy the tractor. Before I can answer she said you can have it for $150.00. Evidently she is in a money crunch. Bare in mind I have bee driving buy and looking at this thing for about 5 years. I told her to hold on and I would see what I could do. With a little finagling I pulled together the money and called some of my fire buddies to help load it in the truck.

Left it there and took it to work today. Was able to find time to pull the carb and do a little cleaning and coaxing. Low and behold she fired up and ran real nice. No smoke or extra noises. Buuuut when I pulled the charger off it promptly died. So it looks like the generator isn't genning. Never had one of these apart so any advice would be most appreciated. Oh and by the way Casey this one has a slot hitch too. Not sure how cool that is though.

MIKE - WIN_20150828_081731.JPG MIKE - WIN_20150828_081735.JPG MIKE - WIN_20150828_081738.JPG MIKE - WIN_20150828_081742.JPG MIKE - WIN_20150828_081745.JPG

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,655 Thanks
  • 7,679 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 03:55 PM

One good thing; it has the gen out where you can test it. The newer ones are stuck behind the flywheel. Did you notice that parts are missing off the pto?

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 03:58 PM

Congratulations, that is one of the good ones. The slot hitch and wheel weights are a great bonus. Drain the trany soon. They attract water. Good Luck, Rick

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 05:07 PM

The slot hitch is cool, but does make it more interesting to find implements.
If you watch, they are out there, just harder to locate than sleeve.

The generator is relatively easy to get into, I would suggest burnishing the contacts in the regulator and getting a definite case ground on the reg before anything else.

Nice buy, especially for a runner with the plow!

#5 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 06:24 PM

The PTO and he deck are still there. They are in a shed as best we know. expecting a call when she finds them. She was pretty happy that it was going to be maintained instead of scrapped or parted out. She was also glad that it was staying local.

I have a plow that is currently three point. I have intentions to convert to slot hitch for my Springfield. Kind of liking the idea of having all the same hitch on the back.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Are you the one that asked about this tractor and the man was soon to go to a nursing home?  If so, I'm glad you got it, but glad no matter if it's the same one or not.  You did really good.  The weights alone can go for almost what you paid.

#7 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Are you the one that asked about this tractor and the man was soon to go to a nursing home?  If so, I'm glad you got it, but glad no matter if it's the same one or not.  You did really good.  The weights alone can go for almost what you paid.

This is the one.

• olcowhand said thank you

#8 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 02:59 AM

Nice find and the price was right too. Good luck with the Horse!

Be sure to update when you pickup the deck.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 04:29 AM

Nice score there! Good luck with the generator. Maybe this will help.And this for the regulator.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 07:27 AM

It's my opinion that slot hitch plows are fine for 8", but I think the 10" version they made was to long and to heavy for that system. Especially with the armstrong lift.
plow_PP-101.jpg

If you're making a plow, you will want to keep it a little shorter coupled than the old pp101. What size is the moldboard you have?

Edit:
Here is a pic of the 8" slot hitch. It's got to be 10" shorter in length. This one is my daughters
post-802-0-56922500-1329080505.jpg

#11 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for all the advice. The mold board I have is an 8 inch of unknown manufacture. It has been refit to a three point hitch and I plan to convert it to slot hitch. Keeping it short makes sense. don't guess there is any reason to let leverage work against you.

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 09:17 AM

If one did the slot hitch, doesn't the tab on plow need to be at a proper angle then? OR, is the frame tweaked on plow to have a tilt? With three points you can adjust tilt, sleave usually has some adjust or it is built angled, so is this built in?  Would think that would be an important point if making your own set-up?  No plow expert here, just going by what I have read and heard about them. You can stick a plain flat stock in too to get a pull tab for trailers and items on those.