10 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 07:25 AM

With the bottom dropping out of the scrap price, what is that old non runner, flat tired, shredded seat, no battery GT worth?

Around here a good heavy duty GT is considered "torch steel" and going for about $40 a ton, that puts most GTs in the $10 range for scrap

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Now is the time to be stock piling that old iron and call it an investment.  Most of the scrapers in this area are doing just that and really going after all they get their hands on.  $100 each for an old car and they haul it off.  Wait till the price goes back up and they will be in like Flinn.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 08:05 AM

^^^^^^^^ That's what I'm doing.

• Sparky said thank you

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 05:37 PM

I guess another " whats it worth" thread wasnt really what I was shooting for.

I will rephrase the question.. has the lower price of scrap had any impact on the price of the less desirable GTs? Do you use the scrap price as bargaining leverage on non runners?

I havent been a GT buyer for a few years and dumped most of mine about the same time. Just curious of what the market is doing now.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Prices around here continue to rise on any GT. Period. Prices haven't dropped one bit.

• shorty, tater195 and Paulgo have said thanks

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 08:51 PM

Almost everyone thinks they are sitting on a gold mine. Even though it hasn't sold after a year of advertising.

• tater195 said thank you

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,628 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 09:12 PM

I've seen a few auctions around here with real deals.  This stuff was too good for the scrap guys but I think its the dollar and the economy people are scared of.

#8 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 10:02 PM

I think the auction prices are more of a true price of a GT compared to the wacked out $3,000 for a 20 year old Murray Lt price on ebay. Every "whats it worth" thread on here has atleast 1 post stating "it's worth what some one will pay for it". The CL asking price is one thing but the actual selling price doesnt get posted.

Edited by tater195, August 28, 2015 - 10:03 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 08:46 AM

Seems people think everything is gold now. Rusted set up plow $150 67 john deere 110 $1000 "it's a round fender" allis b 1 $250 no tires no carb not sure if bfb is any good no seat tin rotted to the point of most likely not usable. Case garden tractors in my area are crazy but you still can find some that won't drain the bank account. And yes I've seen some ads on cl that have been listed for years 2or3 and they still want the same price. In fact ther is a guy with 2 110 deserves one needs engine work (governor ) the other is just there not anything special and they get listed and then bumped so they are back to the top of cl adds.

Although you still get a good deal on some stuff. My original for instance looks like crap but the motor completely rebuilt really clean engine on the inside. It sat so long the po forgot about it. I bought it and put a battery and new wire harness works just fine.

#10 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 03:47 PM

I don't think the scrap price is effecting the GT price what so ever. There will always be some guy wanting big bucks for junk and somewhere there is somebody just letting go of Dads old tractor or a nice unit for pennies, just got to find the deals if your buying. Generally I believe they are going up in value, even ever so slightly, due to sights like these supporting guys like us. See when people SEE that there is so may variables to use them for and that they can be used for everything from gardening, to snow plowing, to working your lawn and mulching, all of the sudden interest starts to peak. When you have demand you have price increase. We are helping our own tractor values rise by promoting our own tractors. Pretty cool idea when you think about it. Did I ever mention I love this site before. LOL!!!! OK I'll shut up.................

• olcowhand and tater195 have said thanks

#11 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 06:03 PM

The parts prices are getting so high now on batteries , belts and tires that a guy cant even flip the freebees anymore. 15 years ago a guy could pick up a free LT, put a new battery, a few tires, rebuild the carb and do some turd polishing and make $100 after parts. 6 years ago, when scrap was high, you pulled the engine, tires and axles and scrapped the rest. Now its hard to find free lts, new tires are $50 each, $50 for batteries and the frame is worth about $2 scrap. I sold off all of the wheels/ tires, decks and transaxles 3 years ago. Selling the engines now for $100 a pop

Edited by tater195, September 01, 2015 - 06:07 PM.