#1 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 10:38 PM

If you have seen the bolens thread I just posted, I said I had picked up 3 tractors, one of which was that Bolens 1000. Next on the list of things to show is this little cub cadet 123. There isnt much special about it other then it has wheel weights, the rears are also filled with calcium judging by the severe amount of rust around the valve stem. Didnt get a deck or anything with it sadly.

But, the real bummer is that I cant get it started. Im sure if I wrapped a rope around the S/G pully and gave her a good yank she would fire but I just havent had the time to do so. The S/G off the tractor is so corroded and messed up that as soon as the engine his the compression stroke it just stops dead in the tracks. So, if any of you guys closer to central minnesota have a S/G I could buy off ya, lets make a deal hahaCub Cadet 123.jpg

• wvbuzzmaster, Cvans and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 11:43 PM

If you bring that S/G in to a older IH repair shop they can rebuild them for you for a lot less that buying one and paying the shipping.  Might check with other older repair shops as they may be able to help you too.  The newer shops know remove and replace and that's it.  Very little repair any more.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 11:49 PM

While I am not an expert on them, starter generators are pretty straight forward and they make rebuild kits for them - basically brushes and bearings. You can even buy the coil windings if they burn out. So don't be in too much of a hurry to pitch the old one!

Best of luck getting it running. The old cubs are well built and worth the attention to get them running again. And they seem to multiply!!!!! I brought home 2 of them a while back in a multi-tractor deal like yours, and now have 6 of the yellow beasts somehow......

#4 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 12:18 AM

I pulled it apart shortly after getting the trio but the armature is so corroded its almost not even worth saving. I did my best to get it cleaned up enough to get it started but I just doesnt have the power anymore. If it was a normal turning one then I would be in luck as I have a fully rebuilt one sitting on the shelf but cubs ar weird. haha

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 04:45 AM

I was just going to say I have two or three starter generators out in the storage shed ------  but if cubs use a different style than that wont help much.  Nice looking cub.  I have a cub original on my bucket list :thumbs:

Pete

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 09:20 AM

That one is in a lot better shape than mine.

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 09:42 AM

Cubs s/g is off the PTO side of the engine so besides rotating "backwards" they are otherwise the same as most others.

#8 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, i figured out that with the last time i had a cub haha i need to find that backwards turning s/g