• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kubota D1005 OFFLINE  

Kubota D1005
  • Member No: 74631
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 09:28 PM

HI all.  I have a Kubota D1005-EF02 engine I'd like to adjust the fueling on.   I think I have the correct screws figured out, but would like a little insurance before I proceed.   It's running well below it's maximum rated RPM so would like to correct that, plus it's a little low on power in my opinion, so might turn up the fuel a little as well.

The "how to" things I've found say they are all the same, but man, does mine look different!!!   So here's a picture of the 6 screws I have to chose from to make the 2 adjustments.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Injecter01_zpsgutmfmbd.jpg

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 12:04 AM

That engine looks rather new? Anyways, Number 1 is your rpm set screw. number 3 should be your shut off lever. Letter B should be your fuel screw. Letter A looks like part of the shut off solenoid. Not sure what letter C is.

You need to get an actual repair manual for your engine. And the reason it could be running below maximum rpm is because each engine from the factory is already preset depending on which application its being used for. For example. The difference between the 1005 and the 1105 is the preset for the rpm. Exactly the same parts. Each engine family in the kubota line is interchangeable. The 05 series for instance. The 905 being the baby, then the 1005, then the 1105. All the same. The 750, 850, 950 are the same as well etc etc. As far as fuel setting you shouldn't need to be touching it as its setup from the factory.   

• Alc and Kubota D1005 have said thanks

#3 48willys OFFLINE  

48willys

• Member No: 8184
  • 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 07:22 AM

Don't hold me to it because I really don’t know much other than what I read when I worked on my D1105, but I think with that type pump the timing is adjusted with shims under the pump but if you get into that you need to be careful.   I have heard of people adjusting the fuel rate by turning the pump barrels but that is really tricky and once you do that the only way to get it right again is to take the pump off and have a diesel shop reset it. If it was mine I would at least call a good diesel shop that works on pumps and ask them about the adjustments.I think C is the max fueling screw.  If you do get playing with it have a way to cut the air off just in case it starts to run away :firejumper: 

Edited by 48willys, August 28, 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#4 Kubota D1005 OFFLINE  

Kubota D1005
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 08:34 AM

Thanks guys, you've mostly confirmed what I suspected.  You are also correct, it's only a couple of years old, but the warranty is up.  Dig around on the Kubota sites long enough, and you'll find the maximum RPM for the D1005 is 3800 RPM, it's only turning 3200.   I do not intend to exceed that 3800.  Heck, many a Kohler rated at 3600 came from the factory a couple hundred RPM below that.   I typically set them to 3700-3800 so I had full open governor around the rated RPM.

Why all this concern about speed?  To go fast?  Heck no, but it makes a heck of difference in blowing snow!   Which might very well be the only time I pull the lever all the way down.   There is a tach, I'm a relatively compentent person.....

I don't plan on messing with any timing.   Maybe a little turn of the screw that adjusts rack travel.  A little more ooomph for hard blowing snow.  I am disappointed in it's snow blowing ability.  But then, I am comparing it to 40 year old tractors that I have "adjusted" for better performance.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Is there any way to change the blowers drive ratio without messing with the engine. This is what I plan to do with my blower by changing one sprocket and taking some links out of the chain.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#6 Kubota D1005 OFFLINE  

Kubota D1005
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 02:58 PM

Altering the ratio within the snowblower is within the realm of possibilities.   However changing the ratio for speed results in the lowering of torque applied to the shaft.  It seems to be underpowered already.  

Now looking at the power graphs for this engine, the power is still climbing when the line ends at the edge of the chart.  A little extra speed in the engine also gives a little more power, not less.    Allowing the engine to run to it's full potential of speed and power isn't what I'd call "messing with the engine".   Rather, just using what's already there to it's fullest.

If there is an overabundance of available power, changing the ratio might very well be the ideal way to accomplish the goals I'm looking for.  Not in my case though.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this ever since that first year of disappointing performance.