Kolher K Series Points

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

• Member No: 47950
  • 332 Thanks
  • 249 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 09:12 PM

Is the pin for operating the points using anything special in the metal it is made of. The reason I am asking this is the points on my LGT 100 seem to need adjusting about 6 months time. There is nothing that I can find showing wear on the points everything looks the same as when the points were new 3 years ago. The tractor starts losing power & after checking everything I find that the points gap has closed so I adjust them the power returns to normal power. The screw for setting the points uses an Allen Wrench so I feel that I am getting it plenty tight but I am thinking something wrong here. The pin is showing no wear the taper on the ends show no change. So my thinking is making another pin to make it 0.003 inch longer which is not much but may add enough so that the screw has better clamping ability to maintain proper gap. 

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 619 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 05:11 AM

Maybe the screw holding the points is loosening up. It should be a flat headed screw with a wide head on it, at least mine are....most Allen headed bolts have a small head on them.....

• FixItCharlie said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 05:15 AM

I'm not sure what the pin is made of but the end that runs on the cam would need to have the right hardness for the job. You don't want the pin to wear the cam shaft. Have you taken out the points and looked at them closely to make sure there isn't an issue with the spring or insulator being cracked or some other mechanical issue that could cause the gap to change? 

• shorty and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 08:21 AM

I say the points aren't being clamped tight enough.

#5 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

• Member No: 47950
  • 332 Thanks
  • 249 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 10:06 PM

The points were doing this with the screw in there I tried tightening the screw so much that the slot was damaged & that did not help. So I changed to this screw thinking I could get it tighter. The last 2 times that I needed to adjust the points I removed them to check even closer for wear. The last time I adjusted them I bent the Allen Wrench when tighten them maybe they will stay with the proper gap but with number of times I have had to adjust them I am not confident with that. I am looking for ideas to correct this & I actually wonder if this was the original problem with this motor as the PO stated the reason for selling it was he thought the motor was worn out because it was losing power. This is part of the reason I rebuilt the motor & did not find anything that was definitely a cause for this. The cylinder is standard bore & rings had some wear. It would blow some smoke when started but soon cleared. I did not have anything to test the power of this tractor before I started going through it as I knew in a few years I would want to use this tractor & knew it was better to look for problem now instead of waiting until the tractor is needed.

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,048 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 10:36 PM

A star lock washer under the allen-head screw should help hold the point adjustment. 

If you can't get enough adjustment on the points, you may have to lengthen the adjustment slot on the points.

Thermal expansion/contraction cycles may be the cause of the screw loosening enough to allow the point setting to change.