#1 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:22 PM

I sold my Bolens H16XL to a member on here. ( Chieffan ) We met halfway and swapped the tractor over to his Truck and had a little visit while there. It's always nice to meet a fellow member of this forum. It was a pleasure doing business with you Roger and I hope the Bolens works for you. Couple of Pics,, Roger and his Wife and Roger and I.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02091.JPG
  • DSC02094.JPG

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and 10 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Had a good trip home with the G16XT.  Left Burlington, IA at 12:15 and was home at Corning in SW Iowa at 4:20.  223 miles one way.  Made one stop for splash of gas, stretch and go in Osceola.  According to the computer the ol' Chevy got 17.2 mpg for the trip over and back.  Best I ever got with it.

Had a nice visit with Traill95 and his wife after we made the switch.  Good meet site members in person like that.  Now the work begins to get the H16XT up and running again.  More photos to follow.

Edited by chieffan, August 27, 2015 - 06:45 PM.

• olcowhand, Traill95, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:53 PM

Had a good trip home with the G16XT.  Left Burlington, IA at 12:15 and was home at Corning in SW Iowa at 4:20.  223 miles one way.  Made one stop for splash of gas, stretch and go in Osceola.  According to the computer the ol' Chevy got 17.2 mpg for the trip over and back.  Best I ever got with it.

Had a nice visit with Traill95 and his wife after we made the switch.  Good meet site members in person like that.  Now the work begins to get the H16XT up and running again.  More photos to follow.

HaHa  I beat you on gas I got 19.3 according to the computer. Good Luck with the new toy.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 853 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 07:26 PM

Very nice! There's something great about seeing our machines go to other members during changes of ownership. :thumbs:

Edited by Austen, August 28, 2015 - 11:57 AM.

• Traill95 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 11:45 PM

HaHa  I beat you on gas I got 19.3 according to the computer. Good Luck with the new toy.

Yes, but yours in 8 years newer and a whole lot less miles. 

• Traill95 said thank you

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 06:02 PM

UPDATE:  The H16XL is up and running.  Rolled it down off the work table about noon and fired it up and all went well.  I already had the engine out of the H16 with a bad Hydro.  Traill95 had the original motor unhooked and just bolted down so didn't take a lot to get things swapped over and have my motor ready to install.  I made an isolator and put it in with the plate on the front couple from the engine to the drive shaft.  Didn't tighten the lock nuts up real tight either, just goo and snug.  The motor went in without any problems.  Changed the oil drain over to the right side for convenience.  Had to remove all the electrical from the H16Xl and my old H16 to swap thing around.  The motor I put in out of the H16 was a newer model so had to have the ignition switch along with the rectifier/regulator box so just changed the entire wiring harness over.  Put the removed harness, etc. from the H16
XL with the motor so it is ready to go if/when I need it.  The Xl wasn't real dirty so didn't bother to wash it first.  It was looking like rain when we got home so unloaded it on the work table and quit for the day.  Saturday we had shower off and an most of the day so forgot about washing it down good.

XL Electrical.JPG       XL Engine.JPG      XL Left.JPG       XL Right.JPG .

Now that I know it is going to be a good tractor will finish up with some minor items.  Will change the front tires as the ones on it a real smooth.  The rear will get a pair of Ag bar tires & wheel with wheel weights.  Some brackets have been added to the back axle to frame mounts so those will come off.  Will put a sleeve hitch on later.  Will have to figure out the lifting set up on the XL yet for the front blade.  All in all It will make a good hydro tractor.  Makes up for taking it in the shorts on the H16 I traded for.   I kind of knew I was in trouble when I drove into the area to make the trade..  New housing area and all the lots were like 1 A. each and the cheap house probably ran 250 to $300,000 area.  A few of them were closer to half mil. or more.  We live and learn.  Anybody want parts off the H16 it will be parted out.  Fender pan and bad Hydro are spoken for.  Will start stripping it down to the frame and wheels and thinking of making a dump wagon out of it.

• olcowhand, blackjackjakexxix and Paulgo have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:41 PM

2nd UPDATE:  Back on the H16 today.  Started at the back and worked forward.  First was to jack the back end up and remove the tires.  Then removed the brackets that were bolted with the axle U-bolts to the frame.  Not sure what they were for but were the same color as the green frame.  Mounted two 23 X 10.50 X 12 Ag bar tires on JD rims.  Then put on two JD wheel weights and bolted them on with 4 bolts each.  With arthritis in both hand and elsewhere they are not very easy to handle.  Used a hydraulic jack handle on the rim and the other end on a 6 X 6 block on a tall stool that was just the right height.  Set the weight with U notch over the handle and slide it up into place.  Got the first bolt through and washer and nut on it and knew it was down hill from there.  Not real fond of the end of the bolt sticking out but no other way to do it.  Carrage bolts fit in the square hole in the rim so will live with it.  Moving forward I took the wheels off the H16 and swapped them over to the H16XL.  They had a lot better tread.  Had to replace the choke cable and actuator so had another hole to drill and bolt it in place.  Then covered the old holes on the right side with flat head 1/4" short bolts.

Cleaned the foot pads off good with paint thinner and put down two strips of 3" wide non slip tape.  Wet feet on smooth metal is not a good combination.  Next in line was adjusting the brake linkage.  Seeing as how the lift cylinder had been leaking the nuts were not seized so that was a minor project.  Found out in the process of changing the front wheels the there is a lot of up - down movement in the front axle.  Will have to drop the entire front end out from under the tractor to work on that so passed that project for now.  The hydro linkage is A OK the way it is so on to the next item. 
Removed the center planks from the work table so I could work up under the tractor and get at the lift cylinder.  A big oily mess up there.  Can't tell where exactly the oil is coming from so will replace the hoses and rebuild the cylinder.  Unfortunately, the cylinder off the H16 is different and will not interchange.  Will get at the cylinder removal tomorrow.  Granddaughter woke up from her nap and wanted to run the trains so we cleaned things up , including ourselves and headed for the garden railroad. Tomorrow is another day.

Edited by chieffan, August 31, 2015 - 06:51 AM.

• Bolens 1000 and olcowhand have said thanks