Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Best pdf package?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:31 AM

I am starting to train a guy at work so that they have someone to give me some help.  I've always thought that what I do was somewhat easy but I am beginning to realize that not everyone picks up on this quickly.  I guess you have to be a certain kind of messed up before you can get good at it.  Anyway, what makes things tougher is the fact that I am in Pennsylvania and he is in Alabama.  As a result, we do everything via email and phone.  This is where the problem comes in.  When I check his work, I either have to write a small novel of an email with the corrections required, some of which understandably get lost, or I have to hand mark a drawing, scan it and send it back.  What I am looking for is a pdf program where I can call up the drawing he sends me, mark it up and send it back.  I've worked with some programs that are very cumbersome and just take up too much of my time for a few markings.  Some of these drawings REALLY get marked up.  I need a suggestion for a program that is user friendly and can handle anything from shapes to clouds to notes and arrows.  I'm leaning toward full blown adobe acrobat but I want to be sure there isn't something better for the money.  I only get to do this once and its not like you can take it for a test drive.  Of course, I guess with some you can but it's a bear to get out of if you don't like it.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:39 AM

There have been a few instances where I had to correct the architect on a job or at least lay it out where my equipment is going.
It those instances, I have used one of a couple of free programs that take a PDF and turn it into a jpg.
Then, any of the decent photo editors and send that back as a jpg.
Advantage to me: not buying adobe
Advantage to them, the original file isn't all marked up.

I guess that's the poor man's way of getting around it, but it works for me.
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:40 AM

I see they have a page of trial versions. Is that what you were looking for?
http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 07:13 AM

I see they have a page of trial versions. Is that what you were looking for?
http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html

Thanks.  We'll have to stick with some sort of pdf software because that's what everyone in the company (and world) is using.  I saw the free trials but some of them are so difficult to get out of if you don't care for them, I elected to seek advice first.  I figure, if someone comes along with something that they can't say enough good about, then I would give it a try.  Company is buying this but that doesn't mean I want to break the bank.  They bought me a program a few years ago and it's terrible.  I won't even use it.  Everyone down there loves it but I recently found that they have the Cadillac version while I had the Yugo.  No respect for the northern office.  I also come to find after much conversation that the program they use is "ok" but I would probably need something a little more.

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 07:36 AM

All GREEK to me!

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 09:53 AM

Open office or Libre office may be a good choice.  They both have a drawing program in them and can open and save PDF's.  Plus they are free. 

Another program that I have read a lot about on the Tech forums is Master PDF Editor.  I have it installed but have not used it.  On the Linux side it is free but I believe on the windows side there is a licensing fee. Good Luck.

#7 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 10 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 09:56 AM

you could look at PrimoPDF and Foxit software, 
i like them because their footprint is SMALL, and, are NOT resource hogs

between the two of them, do everything i need to do, including the notations thing and scanning in my printed manuals to make them a *.pdf manual, (can keep them on the pc then, which makes finding the manuals somewhat easier, versus that intimidating filing cabinet monstrosity)

before i got them tho', as #MH81 suggested, i would just do a screen-shot, paste that into my photo editing program, do whatever manipulations-corrections-notations i wanted-needed as a *.png, *.bmp, *.gif, or *.jpg, then "print as" as a *pdf that i added to the original *.pdf
1. i haven't altered the original, 
2. i was free to do my thing on the "copy" 
3. just about any printer has the ability to "print as *.pdf"
4. my manipulations become a part of the *.pdf, so a record of the revisions is always there
5. adobe products aren't cheap versus very good photo editors, (in fact Paint is on most pc's, and IrfanView is free, both of which really ARE very good)
6. adobe products have a rather "steep learning curve" to become even a little bit proficient versus the photo editing softwares
7. i have found with adobe you have to "over-buy" to get the few simple things you need-want
8. personally think adobe products is kind of like the "green-paint-syndrome" in tractors...

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. There are a few things I want to try from all this once the power us back up. Planned power outage today. Oh joy. We work in AutoCAD and then save as pdf files to exchange and check so it's not real important for the original pdf to stay intact.