8 replies to this topic

#1 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 12:05 AM

You know, I have always wanted a bolens, but I didnt think I would come across a 1000 for cheap. But, two weeks ago my boss came up to me and offered up three GTs for a small fee of 250 bucks. Granted they had seen better days but I have payed more for far less so I took the chance.

He had shown me pictures and I knew right then and there I wanted all three. One was this little 1000 that needed some love.bolens 1.jpg

Its smokes some, barely runs right, and needs some tinkering. But for only tossing a coil on it and bypassing the original ignition along with a battery and gas it fired up and ran, and not only that, it charges to. Pretty freakin cool if you ask me haha

• fonz3482, Gtractor, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84
  • 723 Thanks
  • 580 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 02:45 AM

Love the 1000!! Its been my favorite since I was a kid. I was riding one and mowing 5+ acres of tall grass when I was 5yrs old at some family property. It would take me about 8 or 9 hrs on the 1000 in 1st and 2nd gear low to do all that tall grass, but man that tractor ran strong, and never let us down! That 1000 is still around today and still runs great! These Bolens with the wisconsin motors run forever! So with some repairs to the one you have, you will have a great machine for many years to come! Great buy, Enjoy!!
  • boyscout862 and Paulgo have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,485 Thanks
  • 17,099 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 07:40 AM

Congrats on your new Bolens!

Looks like its all original minus the muffler and seat

#4 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 07:52 AM

Nice 1000!

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,248 Thanks
  • 7,478 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 08:41 AM

Sounds like an easy redo.

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,670 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 09:06 AM

#7 Chubien OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61561
  • 577 Thanks
  • 364 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 12:41 PM

That's my favorite tractor as well, I like the round hood of the older tubeframes and I like the 6spd transmission, the 1000 brings it all together.

Picking mine up on Saturday! It will be the first tractor I buy that will actually drive itself up the ramps and onto the trailer.

#8 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 10:23 PM

Well, now that I have some more time, guess I can get a little more indepth on the issues this tractor has.

A: It lacks major power, it almost stalls completely out in 1st hi so the carb needs some adjustment.

B: Steering skips pretty bad. Since the steering sector it on the same shaft as the clutch pedal I am going to make some shims for it to get it a wee bit tighter. Kinda sucks when you try to turn after going in a straight line and you just spin the wheel aimlessly haha

C: The seat needs to be welded to the hing where the old seat was cut off from. I never liked those old seats and much rather prefer the ol pan seats.

D: put a new kill switch in as the original one is broke.

E: change the oil in the rear as I am sure it is FULL of water.

#9 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 03:22 AM

When I got my 1050 a few years ago I wasn't sure how much power it should have.  It ran ok, and I had to fiddle with the carb, new spark plugs, timing, wiring, etc.  It still worked.  Mowed the yard, blew snow, tilled some dirt, then moved it around with the plow.  As far as I knew it was working as normal.  Last spring I decided to replace the head gasket to try and fix an oil leak.  Replacing the head gasket made it seem like a new engine.  Now I can mow twice as fast as before.  I am anxiously waiting for snow season here in WI, if I am honest.  Always had to work the speed just right, but it would still clear 2 feet of snow with half the HP it was supposed to have.  Granted you have a lot more experience than I do with tractors, but I have to throw my 2 cents in.  I still haven't gotten the carb working perfectly now with the new head gasket and new compression, but it still works every day I need it to.

I also found it is a much more pleasant ride without the wheel weights in the summer.  I did put a new clutch in it after a bearing failed in the drive shaft a couple years ago.  Found out the hard way that mowing in H-2, with the new and improved engine, while turning the steering wheel, it would lift the front tires off the ground slightly, which made turning very easy, and if your thumb is hooked in the steering wheel, it will hit the stops and slightly dislocate your thumb.