• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Wasn't looking, out passin' thru small farm area, bingo.

I had to stop 'n look. Liked it, the poor little Cub runs well but does need some love 'n care. Cubbled a bit and the poor thing followed me home.

Was love at first sight for the Cub 'n I. Now all I need to do is explain to the Ms. The lonely Cub was lookin' for a barn to share, stay warm 'n dry and get some TLC. Think the Ms.'ll understand the bonding?   :love:

I added the text to the picture, memory is fading. :-)

Cub_154.jpeg

• Alc, boyscout862 and BNK have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 07:53 PM

Those are a real nice mowing tractor.  Years ago when I was in the State Park service we ran those as one of our main finish mowing units.  Mowed the camp ground and main part of the picnic areas with it.  Ran it 5 & 6 days a week all summer long and it kept right on mowing.  With the usual expected maintenance of course.  Later we got it;s big brother, the lower profile with wider tires unit.  You have a great acreage tractor there that will do a lot of things besides mow.  Great snag for sure..

• boyscout862, Tankman and _swede have said thanks

#3 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Good to see the sheet metal covers remain,usually are removed and not remounted. Last LoBoy I owned had some sheet metal missing which took me time to hunt down. The nose was in sad condition but I rebuilt it with "kitty hair" fiberglass, got a hard to find mess grille screen from Patton Acres. The bad for me was the worn spline on the drive shaft @ the clutch, got a decent used one from Hamilton Bob Cubs...a "mother" of a task to complete. It was a sweet mower and a fine ride. I even found a nice glass pan seat and upholstery which made it look correct. Great find for you,congrats!

#4 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 933 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 07:28 AM

Nice looking LoBoy, congrats!

#5 Meteor149 OFFLINE  

Meteor149
  • Member No: 73225
  • 23 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 10:12 PM

Nice find! I've always liked Cub LoBoys, they're good looking tractors.

#6 _swede OFFLINE  

_swede
  • Member No: 78683
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 08:16 PM

A great find indeed! Great for plowing too. I used a single bottom moldboard to dig a trench about 300 feet long to run underground power and water to the chicken coop. 154 with IH carb, turfs and a creeper. Never went above 2/3 throttle and never faltered. A mini workhorse.

feab1528e03ff4b8620234e201f0dacb.jpg
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#7 _swede OFFLINE  

_swede
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 08:18 PM

A couple better views....

09d9b3a15541ca3d29dc4199ccaf0c44.jpg

f4f4cc01164e31cc33cd79628cdac492.jpg
  • chieffan said thank you

#8 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 08:43 PM

That looks impressive! I have only seen people bashing them for being under powered and weak hydraulics. They must be comparing them to an 8N. Should be a major upgrade from a GT. I have an LGT 195 and a Ford 3000, looking for something in between. I wanted to buy one along time ago, but backed off from the reviews and price, I can buy a restored 8N for the same price as they want for a worn out 154 with original tires around here.

• Alc said thank you

#9 _swede OFFLINE  

_swede
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 09:48 PM

I'll admit I read the reviews after my purchase (not like me) and I got a bit worried. But now that I have used it, I have plenty of power and absolutely no regrets. Sometimes I want a FEL but I can borrow a neighbors yanmar if I need that so badly. I've been able to do everything I need to do without a FEL. Between a dozer blade up front and a back blade on a quick hitch, I can move dirt, level/grade, rotate the compost, move snow, and tear up small brush on the property borders. Also have the moldboard plow, boom pole, trailer hitch and I am building a carry-all. Neighbor has a woods belly mower for it but I already have a smaller GT for that.

#10 _swede OFFLINE  

_swede
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 09:53 PM

That looks impressive! I have only seen people bashing them for being under powered and weak hydraulics. They must be comparing them to an 8N. Should be a major upgrade from a GT. I have an LGT 195 and a Ford 3000, looking for something in between. I wanted to buy one along time ago, but backed off from the reviews and price, I can buy a restored 8N for the same price as they want for a worn out 154 with original tires around here.

A caveat to my other post is a good tune up with quality parts goes a long way. Rebuild the carb, distributor, all new fluids, filters, plugs, wires, adjust the governor for peak no-load RPM. When you're at original rated HP with a creeper, 15 hp goes a long way. Make sure the hydraulics are running fresh fluid, pump is in good order, the relief valve is set appropriately and you can do a lot with the single action cylinders too. There is always the desire for more power... The challenge is getting what you actually NEED.

#11 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 14, 2015 - 10:02 PM

Most around here were bought for mowing by "5 acre farmers" and have been beat on for 30 years with very little maintenance  I think I would trust an 80 year old 8N before I bought a 152 from a towney. Upkeep is the biggie

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Most around here were bought for mowing by "5 acre farmers" and have been beat on for 30 years with very little maintenance  I think I would trust an 80 year old 8N before I bought a 152 from a towney. Upkeep is the biggie

One can almost tell by looking at the house and surrounds how well their equipment is maintained.  Big fancy house, immaculate yard, nothing out of place and good chance they were in more of a hurry to go play golf than do maintenance on their equipment I   have walked away from a couple tractors from places like that.  Deck blades were beat to pieces, oil on the dip stick would hardly drip off and black as tar, battery terminals where hid under a pile of green.  Not always true by any means but for me it is a warning sign.