• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 haykarenhardy OFFLINE  

haykarenhardy
  • Member No: 63476
  • 49 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 06:19 AM

Fleet Owners, When you have  five or so garden tractors that you use (not in storage) from plowing snow to tilling, leaf vacuuming, mowing do you change oil every year?  Or do you let some go for two years?
Stan

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,773 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 06:44 AM

Change it every 24 hours of running time or every fall before storing. Oil turns acidic as the engine runs. I have worked on generators that have been left for years with old oil in them. Their dipsticks are pitted from the acid. I worry what has happened to the crankshaft. I have always believed that oil changes are cheap insurance. I even do one at one half hour on a new engine. Good Luck, Rick

• Canawler, Talntedmrgreen, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 01:16 PM

Change it every 24 hours of running time or every fall before storing. Oil turns acidic as the engine runs. I have worked on generators that have been left for years with old oil in them. Their dipsticks are pitted from the acid. I worry what has happened to the crankshaft. I have always believed that oil changes are cheap insurance. I even do one at one half hour on a new engine. Good Luck, Rick

I'm with Rick...once a year, minimum.  Usually, it's a fall day with me and a few of my closest friends (typically Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest), and we change oil in 10 or so tractors that haven't seen regular enough use to warrant an earlier oil change that season.  Fall is my 'dirtiest' season, with leaf mulching etc, so my working mowers (who are also my blowers & pushers) get fresh dino before the snow files as well.  Sometimes, that's a separate oil change day, and a different flavor.

:beer:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 01:47 PM

I'm gonna go a different direction here.

Everything you said is absolutely true.  I definitely agree with that first early oil change to get the break in "residue" out of the engine and oil changes are cheap insurance, but I'll add that modern engine oils are very good.  They're designed to deal with the acid buildup.  If you miss an annual change on a low hour engine it's not a big deal at all.  I'm no tree hugger but dumping oil at 24 hours seems to be a bit wasteful to me.

• shorty, boyscout862, haykarenhardy and 1 other said thanks

#5 MN Masseys OFFLINE  

MN Masseys
  • Member No: 62622
  • 76 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 09:36 PM

I do my Kubota every fall while swapping from mower to snowblower. My manual and dealer recommend doing it at 100 hours, but it doesn't see that many hours in a year. I do, however, grease everything periodically throughout all seasons. I pretty much follow my manual for hydrostatic fluid and filter changes. Amsoil synthetic is used throughout my machines.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 05:44 AM

I have a question boyscout862 might be able to answer , does the acid comes from each hour of running or will it accumulate from just sitting ?   

#7 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 09:56 PM

Hot summers and sub-zero winters here. Straight 30w in the spring and 5w30 in the fall. Never get enough hours on the oil to warrant changing. Would be nice to find a way to filter and save it for reuse...