#1 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Picked up some 1050 parts last week and one of them was a seat pan, spring and fender that looked like they had been in a wet, muddy environment at some point in their life.  The nuts were seized that held the seat pan onto the spring but a bit of heat and cold water got them moving and then I started cleaning off the mud, dirt and rust from the seat pan - sorry I did not take any pictures of the condition it was in to start but I did take some of the pan after I got the surface cleaned up with a wire brush.  The pan is in reasonable shape but it does have some rusted sections around the edge, some pitting in spots, one weld was broken and there was evidence of rust between the pan and the reinforcing piece that is welded to it where the bolts go so I sliced the welds with a die grinder and split them apart so I can clean out the rust between the two pieces.  I think I can clean up the reinforcing piece and the seat pan and reweld them but if not the rusted sections will get replaced.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Broken Weld.jpg
  • 2 Left Front Corner Edge Rusted.jpg
  • 3 Rust Lifting Reinforcing Piece.jpg
  • 4 Broken Weld Bottom View.jpg
  • 5 Right Side Weld Still Good.jpg
  • 6 Bottom View.jpg
  • 7 Top Edge Rusted.jpg
  • 8 Welds Cut With Die Grinder.jpg
  • 9 Die Grinder.jpg
  • 10 Reinforcing Piece Removed - Trapped Rust.jpg
  • 11 Seat Pan.jpg
  • 12 Seat Pan.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Looks like your off to a good start with it.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#3 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 07:26 PM

Got the back corner and the edges welded and ground back down and did some more sanding on the pan - while it will still have some pits it will be solid and should not rust anymore once it is painted.  Cleaned up the reinforcement piece and while pitted it is still solid so I gave it a coat of paint on the bottom side and let it dry while I worked on the seat pan.  Since I just want a good solid seat that will last I will not be filling any of the smaller pits as they will not show once the cover is on and the seat is mounted.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Seat Pan Reinforcing Area Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 2 Pitted But Solid.jpg
  • 3 Left Weld Area Ground Out To Reweld.jpg
  • 4 Reinforcement Pitted But Solid - Painted On Bottom.jpg
  • 5 Starting To Weld In Badly Pitted Areas.jpg
  • 6 Left Front Corner Welded.jpg
  • 7 Right Front Corner Welded.jpg
  • 8 Top Back Edge Welded.jpg
  • 9 Left Rear Welded.jpg
  • 10 Left Rear Weld Backside View.jpg
  • 11 Left Front Corner After Grinding.jpg
  • 12 Right Front Corner After Grinding.jpg
  • 13 Cleaning Up Nicely.jpg
  • 14 Back Top Edge After Grinding.jpg
  • 15 Left Rear Weld After Grinding.jpg

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Then I masked out the section where the reinforcement goes using it as a guide and then I gave it and the masked out area a good coat of paint - this should slow down the rust and after it dries overnight I will try and weld the piece back to the seat pan tomorrow.  I have attached pictures of the fender pan to give you an idea of the condition of the seat when I started as it is coated with mud and rust scale the same as the pan was.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Reinforcement Set In Place And Area Masked.jpg
  • 2 Reinforcemet Removed.jpg
  • 3 Area Painted.jpg
  • 4 Masking Tape Removed.jpg
  • 5 Masking Tape Removed.jpg
  • 6 Reinforcement With Second Coat Of Paint Left To Dry.jpg
  • 1 Fender Pan.jpg
  • 2 Fender Pan.jpg
  • 3 Fender Pan.jpg

#5 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 08:59 PM

nice work. Love the updates. Looks like it will be a nice and solid unit when its done. can't wait to see the finished product!

• 29 Chev said thank you

#6 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:21 PM

Set the insert in place and put two nuts and washers on the studs and tightened it down - the rear edge did not fit down flush but it was close enough that I could push it down with a push bar to hold it while I tack welded it in place.  Set the pan up on two short 2x4 scraps about 9" apart so the pan would sit level but the bottom would be open where I was welding, got the mig welder out and tack welded the insert back in place.  Checked it over one last time and welded the front and back of the reinforcement while checking to make sure the pan did not warp. While the paint at the edge smoked a little there was no big flame so I assume most of the paint in between is still intact and should keep the rust in between the pan and the reinforcement to a minimum.  I added one extra weld at the back and two extra at the front for a bit more strength and let things cool - everything looked good so I cleaned up the welds with a wire brush.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Reinforcement Top View.jpg
  • 2 Reinforcement Back In Place.jpg
  • 3 Rear Edge Will Need To Be Pushed Down Before Tacking.jpg
  • 4 Nuts And Washers On Bottom.jpg
  • 5 Two Short Blocks To Set Pan On.jpg
  • 6 Sides Welded And Ends Tacked.jpg
  • 7 Ends Welded.jpg
  • 8 Welds Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 9 Welds Cleaned Up 2.jpg
  • 10 View Underneath After Welding.jpg
  • 11 Back View - Very Little Warpage.jpg

#7 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Then I gave it one last sanding and a good cleaning before I sprayed some red paint on it.  Did the back and bottom first, let them dry for a little while and then I mounted the seat on the seat spring and threaded two more nuts on the studs and hand tightened then so the seat would not rest on the spring.  Gave the top of the pan a couple of good coats and let it dry.  The pits still show in spots but at least now it is solid, clean and should not rust much in the coming years. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Back Painted.jpg
  • 2 Bottom Painted.jpg
  • 2.5 Seat Set On Spring And Nuts Hand Tight.jpg
  • 3 Top Painted.jpg
  • 4 Top Painted.jpg
  • 5 Front View.jpg
  • 6 Corner View.jpg
  • 7 Back Corner View.jpg

#8 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 07:51 PM

Looks great!

• 29 Chev said thank you

#9 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 03:35 AM

I still have the seat pan that came with my 1050, but the cover was worn out.  I threw the cover and pad away (maybe I should't have thinking back on it).  The pan is in really good shape.  I replaced it with a seat from Fleet Farm so it was at least somewhat comfortable.  What are my options in actually recovering the pan without spending a ton of cash.  I saw a post a while back about someone else designing a new cover for 1050 seats for his own tractor if i recall correctly.  I would love to have the orange seat back versus the black replacement seat i bought as a replacement.

#10 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 05:47 AM

I still have the seat pan that came with my 1050, but the cover was worn out.  I threw the cover and pad away (maybe I should't have thinking back on it).  The pan is in really good shape.  I replaced it with a seat from Fleet Farm so it was at least somewhat comfortable.  What are my options in actually recovering the pan without spending a ton of cash.  I saw a post a while back about someone else designing a new cover for 1050 seats for his own tractor if i recall correctly.  I would love to have the orange seat back versus the black replacement seat i bought as a replacement.

Check out this thread I started on a cover I hope to be able to offer for sale once I get the bottom fitting a little better http://gardentractor...-cover-project/  - right now some other projects have put it on hold for a few weeks.  Depending on your definition of a "ton of cash" this may be an option or another suggestion would be to get a stadium cushion about the right size and mount it with some Velcro strips glued to the pan and the cushion.

#11 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 04:21 PM

Since the paint has dried for a couple of days I took a few minutes today and put some door edge moulding around the edge of the pan - this will take the sharpness off the edge so it does not try and cut the new cover material.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Door Edge Moulding Around Bottom.jpg
  • 2 Corner.jpg
  • 3 Back Done.jpg
  • 4 Corner.jpg
  • 5 Back View.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#12 gardentractornut ONLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 08:19 PM

Looks great Chev!

• 29 Chev said thank you

#13 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Since the paint has dried for a couple of days I took a few minutes today and put some door edge moulding around the edge of the pan - this will take the sharpness off the edge so it does not try and cut the new cover material.

Really nice touch. Is that standard automotive edge molding? do you get it at your local auto parts supplier?

• 29 Chev said thank you

#14 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:55 AM

Yes it is regular automotive door edge moulding from an auto parts store - takes about seven feet to do the seat.

• backyardtinker said thank you