36 replies to this topic

#31 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:26 PM

I have been having the same feeling. I made a post about my company laying off nearly a 1000 employees. Going from 8400 down to 7400. We have since closed 1 mine and are going to close another. So that will cut another 1000 people. We have had our paid vacation cut from 24 days(max which I've earned) down to 15 days. We also now have to pay 350 a month for our health insurance.

As I said in my big post about this, I am looking for other work if possible. Basically there is NOTHING out there that pays decent, offers decent benefits, and is close to my home.

I wish you the best.

Coal has gone soooo bad here in the last 6 or 7 yrs.... Coincidence? Used to keep my shop booming, like 4-5 hundred hours overtime a year to none whatsoever. As a matter of fact we are having voluntary layoffs to try keeping as many employed for as long as possible.
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#32 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 04:51 PM

So I did have a good gust of wind of change come my way. After being off work since last Tuesday I had some good news hit me on Thursday. Since I have a lot of close friends and co workers on Facebook I had made a post about anyone know of any places hiring. Well my previous boss had contacted from the restaurant and asked if I could come back and he'd hire me on the spot no interview needed. So I went down Thursday afternoon and talked with him. Yesterday I went back into where I was a year ago. Into the comforts of being in an air conditioned building away from the all the elements. It felt great to be back and it was a nice mini vacation. I dont miss the landfill one bit at all. It feels amazing to be back with all my old friends and co workers. Thank you all for keeping me going and for all the comforting words and advice. I plan going back to school in the spring but for now im going to settle in and enjoy myself for awhile  :wave:  :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 8 others have said thanks

#33 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 09:11 PM

Good to hear Mike.!

#34 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 03:53 AM

That is good news.

#35 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Coal has gone soooo bad here in the last 6 or 7 yrs.... Coincidence? Used to keep my shop booming, like 4-5 hundred hours overtime a year to none whatsoever. As a matter of fact we are having voluntary layoffs to try keeping as many employed for as long as possible.

It is not good.  We have only felt the impact in the last 6 months.  We were grow, grow, grow, hire, hire, hire then it was cut backs and lay offs over night.  I know the one mine that they shut down has had problems for years and was a money sink for the company.  They ate more money than they made.  The other mine that is shutting has been in continuous operation since 1956.  They are simply out of coal.  But the jobs lost by that mine closing won't be recreated, they are just gone.

I lived in the Dubois, PA area for about a year and half back in 2003-2004. The mine I was at was shut down in fall of 04.  I still have a few friends in that area that I talk to.  They are all out of  work at the mines.  The last one got let go 2 months ago. 

The odd thing is we are shipping coal like crazy.  We have less man power, less scheduled production days(5 days a week instead of 7) and they are starting to mandatory Saturdays again for production(our clean piles are on the ground and the raw piles are empty).  We are still shipping.  We shipped 4.7 million tons of coal last month.  I'd say we are making 5 to 15 dollars profit per ton.  Depends on where the coal came from and who it was going to.

Sorry for the thread for hi-jack! 

Glad to see you are back to work and feeling better.

I have put some applications out there.  Applied at the prison last weekend for a guard job and a motor pool job.  I have several friends and a couple family working there, so I have some good references.

• Dieselcubmike, oldedeeres and Marty'70 have said thanks

#36 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 12:27 PM

Education/courses--- never a bad thing. Even if they have no application for the job at hand they prove to an employer that you are not lazy, are willing to learn, and are intelligent enough to follow directions.

#37 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 01:59 PM

It is not good.  We have only felt the impact in the last 6 months.  We were grow, grow, grow, hire, hire, hire then it was cut backs and lay offs over night.  I know the one mine that they shut down has had problems for years and was a money sink for the company.  They ate more money than they made.  The other mine that is shutting has been in continuous operation since 1956.  They are simply out of coal.  But the jobs lost by that mine closing won't be recreated, they are just gone.

I lived in the Dubois, PA area for about a year and half back in 2003-2004. The mine I was at was shut down in fall of 04.  I still have a few friends in that area that I talk to.  They are all out of  work at the mines.  The last one got let go 2 months ago. 

The odd thing is we are shipping coal like crazy.  We have less man power, less scheduled production days(5 days a week instead of 7) and they are starting to mandatory Saturdays again for production(our clean piles are on the ground and the raw piles are empty).  We are still shipping.  We shipped 4.7 million tons of coal last month.  I'd say we are making 5 to 15 dollars profit per ton.  Depends on where the coal came from and who it was going to.

Sorry for the thread for hi-jack! 

Glad to see you are back to work and feeling better.

I have put some applications out there.  Applied at the prison last weekend for a guard job and a motor pool job.  I have several friends and a couple family working there, so I have some good references.

I wish you the best on your journey 

• Marty'70 said thank you