#16 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 935 Thanks
  • 685 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 09:25 AM

I too am sorry to hear of your situation. Been in a similar situation myself. I worked doing real estate examinations after HS all through my 20's. In the late 80's the RE market bottom dropped out and I became unemployed. I had grown up in a mechanical enviroment, but had no formal training, no college degrees. There was a period, a fair one, of angst, despair and self pity. But, after a bit I got proactive. I went to the unemployment office EVERY day and checked for jobs available. I checked for training courses available. I went to interviews, a good number. This went on for a good spell. Then a free machining course became available. Full-time, 16 weeks, federally funded. And if your attendance and grades met the marks, you kept your benefits. That was enough to keep my truck on the road and I gave the rest to my Mom for the house expenses. Graduated NMTS the Fall of '92, started at a smallish manufacturing company in Feb '93 for $7.50 hr. Swept floors, cleaned the bathroom, and learned every chance I got. Got an opportunity to work in the CNC dep't. Eventually became CNC supervisor. After 10 years there I became a partner and owner. I'm sure some will thinking I'm bragging. I'm not. The point I'm trying to make is......it can be done. I've got two young guys at my company now, 19 and 22. They have skipped over every other worker I have. Some have been there 20 years. Why? Not because of a degree. Or shear intelligence. But because of their hunger to learn, to excel. Because the strength of their will to succeed exceeds the strength of their backs. Positive, team attitudes. Jobs may be hard to find, I'll grant you. But, as a business owner I can tell you, a dedicated, hard working, hungry worker doesn't grow on trees, either. When I find one, I do all I can to keep them. Learn everything you can, every day. Don't let anyone else out work you. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. I wish you all the luck in the world, but you can't mope. Get after it!

• Gtractor, Bruce Dorsi, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#17 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 09:26 AM

I have been having the same feeling.  I made a post about my company laying off nearly a 1000 employees.  Going from 8400 down to 7400.  We have since closed 1 mine and are going to close another.  So that will cut another 1000 people.  We have had our paid vacation cut from 24 days(max which I've earned) down to 15 days.  We also now have to pay 350 a month for our health insurance.

As I said in my big post about this, I am looking for other work if possible.  Basically there is NOTHING out there that pays decent, offers decent benefits, and is close to my home.

I wish you the best. 

• boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and Marty'70 have said thanks

#18 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 09:36 AM

I can certainly identify with the "being lost lately". I have no history in the public work arena so have little advice other than keep the faith. The guys have offered up some great advice. Being you're young that is a huge plus. You'll come out better than you were with patience.

As far as you getting a "day job, if you are working with friends, around a product or service you know, it should be a simple matter of keeping busy, communicating issues, and learning the side of things you don't know. And whatever you do try to steer clear of workplace politics.
  • olcowhand, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#19 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 09:57 AM

After 10 years there I became a partner and owner. I'm sure some will thinking I'm bragging. I'm not. The point I'm trying to make is......it can be done. I've got two young guys at my company now, 19 and 22. They have skipped over every other worker I have. Some have been there 20 years. Why? Not because of a degree. Or shear intelligence. But because of their hunger to learn, to excel. Because the strength of their will to succeed exceeds the strength of their backs. Positive, team attitudes. Jobs may be hard to find, I'll grant you. But, as a business owner I can tell you, a dedicated, hard working, hungry worker doesn't grow on trees, either. When I find one, I do all I can to keep them. Learn everything you can, every day. Don't let anyone else out work you. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. I wish you all the luck in the world, but you can't mope. Get after it!

You have earned the right to brag and have shown a good example.

In 1970, I worked in a factory for the summer. They were behind on a government order for trailers so, I was hired to build a few. The three old guys there were working together and producing one trailer per day. The foreman told me to watch them and then try to build 2 trailers per week by myself in my own bay. After one week of figuring it out I realized that there was a much better way to do the job. After two weeks there, I was producing 3 trailers every two days by myself. The order ended up finished on time. After 7 weeks there I had to quit because I was coughing up black crud and couldn't get out of bed for a day. I had made the boss look good and he wanted me to stay but I was scared by the black crud. No job is worth dying for. Good Luck, Rick

• Cvans, tiretrx, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#20 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 09:57 AM

I agree with trying to go back to school.  My son was in a no where job and decided to do something about it.  He is now back in school learning to weld.  His instructor also recommended him to a friend that needed some help in his shop so my son has a part time job working in his new field.  He has also gotten to be friends with some guy who own a custom Bike shop so he has been learning to fab custom Motorcycle parts.

My daughter is back in college at age 40 to finish getting her degree.  She wants to teach.  My Son has VA but also has picked up several scholarships and my daughter is going on grants and scholarships.  So there are ways to pay for schooling, especially tech type training.  So don't be discouraged, visit your local tech school and see what they have to offer.  Good Luck.

• tiretrx, boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#21 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 781 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 11:41 AM

Apply to every D.P.W. in every town around you. Keep going back. they'll get sick of looking at you, and they might just hire you!

Edited by karl, August 25, 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 12:49 PM

Have you thought about refrigeration or some other service industry. Treated me well and they are always looking for people. The last employee I hired was fresh out of vocational school and all the students were spoken for. 2 years now might pay you well in the future.

That is not a bad idea! Been considering it myself,I would like to know more about HVAC.Q
About a month ago the air conditioner went out in the churches parsonage.
A 70s unit and not repairable. My nephew sells in the Lennox warehouse.
He had a friend he hooked us up with and he installed a unit the next day.
That young man working by himself( with the exception of 3 of us old guys, making sure all
Wireing and plumbing was in place)
Completed a $2500 job and was on the road in just under 3 hrs.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 25, 2015 - 12:55 PM.

• Cvans, tiretrx and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,509 Thanks
  • 5,028 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 04:46 PM

Service technicians and health care workers are going to be in demand for a long time.

I had many calls from headhunters over the years wanting to know if I would be interested in coming to work in their facility. From my experience if you could get into industrial refrigeration you would not have to look for work again. Working with Anhydrous Ammonia is not for everyone but pays well and there seems to be a demand for good people experienced in this field.  Residential and commercial refrigeration technicians are also going to be needed. 

Welders and Electricians are in demand and seem to be able to ride out lows in the economy. Diesel engines are becoming more and more common. Wind energy and bio fuels look to be on the increase. More service techs. for these fields will be needed.

A self motivated young man should be able to set himself up for a pretty good future with the way things are developing today. 

Best of luck to you in what ever endeavor you choose. 

Edited by Cvans, August 25, 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#24 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 05:01 PM

The best advice my Dad ever gave me was to find a job in the food service or healthcare. People are going to get sick and they have to eat. I went the healthcare route. I started in the Army as a Biomedical Equipment tech and ended up doing Laboratory refrigeration. I live in a great area for both.

If I had to start all over again, I would spend some time looking through the help wanted ads and websites to see what was in demand and If there was something that I could enjoy doing. Once I found that I would see what training would be needed and start working on getting it. Every geographical area has a different set of needs. Find out what your area needs are and see if there is something that interest you.

• Cvans, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 05:19 PM

Chris and Bill have both mentioned welding, it is a good trade.
Just got news my cousin was losing his job. He was a shop manager in a fabrication shop.
They are closing because they can not find enough qualified welders in the area.

My son (38) just completed a certified welding course at the community college. Most of the course was paid for in grants.
He has worked as a construction laborer and in Hog confinement (wein to finish.
He is now a stone setter for a monument company, he likes it and may continue doing it for some time.
But his welding certificates are money in the bank if he decides he does not want to set stones.
It is back breaking work and who knows when his health may require a change.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 25, 2015 - 05:27 PM.

• Cvans, tiretrx, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#26 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 06:19 PM

I have been off work too, so what I do, is, set a plan for things to do the next day, what ever it is, good or bad. Next thing I do, is always get up at the same time every day as if you are going to work. Then do your list for the day. Helps keep a person in the groove of things. It helps the mind. Hope things get better for you, Noel.
  • Cvans, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#27 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,203 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Everyone has offered excellent advice, get some training, check which services are offered in your area , keep a routine of getting up every day, and stay positive. Good luck, and remember bend our ear when you need to !
  • Cvans, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#28 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 11:56 AM

I want to thank you all very much from the bottom of my heart. Right now ive been looking around very hard. I was offered my old job back from a year ago. Its not much but if all else fails thats my backup plan. While there im going to try and do vocational adult classes in the evenings. I was looking into maybe either carpentry, hvac, or going back into welding.  

• MH81, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#29 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 12:38 PM

I want to thank you all very much from the bottom of my heart. Right now ive been looking around very hard. I was offered my old job back from a year ago. Its not much but if all else fails thats my backup plan. While there im going to try and do vocational adult classes in the evenings. I was looking into maybe either carpentry, hvac, or going back into welding.

Why not do them all? That way you get to try them all to see what you like best(or none at all). The more you know the better you can be at what you do. Good Luck, Rick
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#30 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Mike you're in prime oil field territory. Keep looking and maybe talk to the Big Guy every once in a while. Good times will come to you I have a feeling.
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you