Seem to be a little lost lately...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 10:31 PM

Good evening everyone. Usually this isnt something I would post about but lately ive been feeling kinda down and out. Tomorrow marks my final day at my current job and with not much experience its hard for a young fella like me to get good work anywhere. Only have a background in the food industry and a little bit in heavy equipment. Not much around here its either retail or food and id rather not do that. I looked into a over the road trucking company that offers you a free cdl class to truck with them. Not that I want to be gone for weeks at a time but if it leaves with a cdl to my name then so be it. Just kinda looking for suggestions/opinions. Id love to paint or do metal working but everyone always wants some kind of background experience :(. Thank you all very much for your time.  

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, MH81 and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66603
  • 622 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 10:50 PM

Look at school. I was in a similar position at my early twenties. I found a field of interest and went back to school. Has turned into a 25 year career and I still love my job. Financial aid is available. Don't sell yourself short on the I can't go back to school line. I work with a guy that just started school again in his forties to be a physicians assistant. I really admire his dedication and when he's is done he will be in a fine position.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 10:56 PM

Don't feel alone, I have similar woes. I love West Virginia but there isn't much for good work around here for anyone, even with a degree and a little work experience in the field. I find myself constantly fighting depression sometimes, mainly due to having had it so good, and afraid of personal failure in the work environment, on top of my own failures at my own ability to complete projects at home. Did I mention I am 25 years old, live with my parents, spend my evenings at my Grandfather's, work 40 hours a week (can't forget that), and I do nothing the others my age consider to be fun...
Point is... Hang in there, it's a long way to retirement... Which I plan to achieve at age 50... Ready or not, mental hospital or not LOL.
  • daytime dave, Alc, tiretrx and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 1,042 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 12:39 AM

Is the place where your employed shutting down or moving jobs out of the county ? You may be eligible for job retraining and extended unemployment compensation. If you have a tech collage around they may have some answers , they deal with this all the time and they may have a something your interested in like paint and body work,compleating a class should help you get a foot in the door.

Getting a CDL might not be a bad idea,around here theirs a lot of local day runs semi--straight truck--dump truck--They have a hard time finding anyone around here that can pass a drug test.  

• Alc, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,742 Thanks
  • 2,721 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 12:41 AM

Don't lose hope, you are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Have you considered a Union building trade they offer a five year apprentice program while you work in the field and get hands on experience. Those programs also qualify you for an associates degree with a few more credits. There's a lot of work going on right now in the trades and when you become a journeyman you can travel anywhere in the country and work. Just a thought
  • Alc, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,314 Thanks
  • 4,912 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 12:47 AM

Have you thought about refrigeration or some other service industry. Treated me well and they are always looking for people. The last employee I hired was fresh out of vocational school and all the students were spoken for. 2 years now might pay you well in the future. 

• Alc, JD DANNELS, tiretrx and 2 others have said thanks

#7 camdigger OFFLINE  

• Member No: 70250
  • 669 Thanks
  • 230 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 01:12 AM

I don't mean to pile on, but now is a tough time to be looking for a job.

My advice would be to be flexible as far as what you will work at, where you will do it, and what it might pay. I've worked in the oil and gas industry for 30 years. The oil patch is notorious for boom and bust cycles. I've done some very menial jobs keeping body and soul together through a bust cycle in spite of having a degree and a decade of experience.

For the short term, think about registering with a temp agency. Working through them may get you some cash, experience, and possibly something more permanent. If nothing else, it can help you cross bad jobs off your list.

Think seriously about training. Try to pick a field that is in demand and is something you can stomach doing. It rarely works out well if you hate your job, no matter how much it pays. The world is full of taxi drivers with advanced degrees in basket weaving, while people with minimal training become millionaires by making successful choices.

Looking back, I wish I'd stayed working through the boom cycle and gone back to school on the next bust with a reason to be there and some cash in my jeans. As it happened, I graduated just before the boom ended and had some interesting life experience through that particular bust...... Long story there.
You have some big decisions ahead of you.
Good luck!
  • Alc, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,158 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 04:48 AM

If you aren't afraid of sweat and show a little incentive you shouldn't have any troubles at all staying employed, I started rite out of high school without any experience and worked my way up.  now I am a lead fabricator in a locale fab shop and am very happy and comfortable, as others have said if the place you are working for is closing down then there are lots of training programs out there just remember just because you went to school for something doesn't make you an expert.  Good luck

• Alc, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,660 Thanks
  • 28,313 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 06:42 AM

I cant say anything any better than everyone else has.
I would second the motion to go back to school if its possible. Not necessarily a 4 year, but even night courses on welding, body work, etc.
If that's a field you are interested in, there's your training and some experience.
  • tiretrx, boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,756 Thanks
  • 4,263 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:05 AM

When you go for an interview for a job and guy says something about no experience, offer to work for him for 3 days.  At the end of 3 days he decides if he pays you and keeps you on, or sends you down the road.  Prove yourself and you will get the job.  To many lairs out there that want a paycheck and don't want to work for it.  Your offer catches them off guard and they think "this guys really wants this job".  Dig your heals in and go for it.  Good luck.

• Bolens 1000, daytime dave, tiretrx and 4 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:10 AM

Good advice from all above.

Be careful with those "free training" place, especially with the CDL's. Yea, you will end up with your license for the future, but most of the time, you have to sign a contract to work with them for a year or two so the can give it to you free.

Sorry to hear of your plight with the job, hope you find a new career you will enjoy.

• tiretrx, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:22 AM

Sorry to hear about work. My wife is going through the same with looking for employment. 

Try to not do the free CDL thing with a trucking outfit. You will be required to sign on for a minimum of a year to two years. Guaranteed to be away for 3 to 4 weeks at a time. Are there any millwright or rigging positions in your area? I know more and more employers are using the temp agencies to get employees so you may want to get signed up with a couple of them.

I wish you nothing but the best in your search.

• MH81, Cvans, tiretrx and 2 others have said thanks

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,227 Thanks
  • 7,457 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Good evening everyone. Usually this isnt something I would post about but lately ive been feeling kinda down and out.

If, after going through all of the obvious options, you find that your are giving up looking; be aware that it is possible for people in your position to develop depression.

• Cvans, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#14 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,457 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 09:02 AM

I am just about to turn 64 and started working in 1965. I have seen many boom and bust cycles and gone through a bunch of jobs. The first and most important thing is not to let it get you down. It is just going to be a tough time(hopefully short) and you will get through it. Have an activity that you do each day that is atleast mildly physical and enjoyable. Walks are great.

Check into the training that is available but be carefull. There is alot of schools and training that isn't worth anything. Many schools are not properly accredited so, their degrees and certificates aren't accepted by most employers. State run schools are usually the best deal and should be properly accredited. Many of the people that have the big student loan debts went to "for profit" schools that were not accredited. They borrowed $50,000 to get a piece of paper that isn't worth anything. Don't let anyone take advantage of you. 

You should be eligible for 26 weeks of unemployment. Take advantage of the counseling and free training, in job searching, that your unemployment office offers. They may offer testing that will help match careers to your strengths.

I and many of the "old timers" believe that the 40 hour job keeps you alive but what you do with the rest of your time is what gets you ahead. I worked as a Civil Engineer, was an Army Reserve Officer, repaired vehicles, and built a new house during my working years. Find a "hobby" that you enjoy and can make or save you some money. I've seen the hobbies turn into careers for a few people. 

Whenever your situation seems to be a downer, take a sanity pause and do something you like. It will work out in awhile. Good Luck, Rick

• Cvans, tiretrx, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,207 Thanks
  • 29,685 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 09:19 AM

I can certainly identify with the "being lost lately". I have no history in the public work arena so have little advice other than keep the faith. The guys have offered up some great advice. Being you're young that is a huge plus. You'll come out better than you were with patience.
  • tiretrx, boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks