FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 09:26 PM

Ok, so I have been messing with my tractor to get the charging system working to no avail. I have decided that I am going to scrap the whole system and convert it using a one wire Chevy style alternator. I found that they sell "mini race" versions that at are 35-40 amps, but the best part is that they are only about 4" in diameter and 4.5" long!

The gear tractors have room for another pulley to be mounted between the block and the pulley stack. This will allow the alternator to be mounted behind the grille and remain hidden and factory looking.

http://pages.ebay.co...lobalID=EBAY-US
  • MH81, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 09:56 PM

Ok, so I have been messing with my tractor to get the charging system working to no avail. I have decided that I am going to scrap the whole system and convert it using a one wire Chevy style alternator. I found that they sell "mini race" versions that at are 35-40 amps, but the best part is that they are only about 4" in diameter and 4.5" long!
The gear tractors have room for another pulley to be mounted between the block and the pulley stack. This will allow the alternator to be mounted behind the grille and remain hidden and factory looking.
http://pages.ebay.co...lobalID=EBAY-US

That sounds like a great idea! Particularly if you push snow at night, the extra amperage would run plenty of lights.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 09:57 PM

Good idea, :thumbs:  that's exactly where they put the belt driven hyd pump on the early tractors that had hyd lift option.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 10:18 PM

I thought so... To save time, looking at the pulley stack on the motor... What direction is the belts running? Clockwise or counterclockwise wise? Worst case, I may need to make a jack shaft to face the alternator to the other side so that I can change the direction. Extra work, but not hard to do.
The best part is with the large car battery and the automotive ignition system, a stock charging system was really tapped out. Plus, I need a rear work light for winter time snow duty at night.
  • Alc said thank you

#5 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 11:13 PM

Ok, so I had to look... The pulley is counterclockwise and most all alternators run clockwise. I need to see if this will be a issue, or if I need to build a jack shaft to point the pulley towards the other side of the tractor.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 11:18 PM

When I added the alternator to my Craftsman I discussed this with my alternator repair friend and he told me this.
Alternators will put out the correct charging voltage spinning either direction, because they produce alternating current, which is later rectified to DC output. The cooling fans on alternators are why they are considered directional, and running them opposite is to risk excess heat build up. I ran a 35 amp Delco Remy Chevy style 3 wire alternator "backwards" and never had a single issue with the heat. Chevy Corvair alternators have the "reverse" cooling fan though. On a garden tractor I would not worry about it unless it is right next to the muffler. Hope this helps.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, August 24, 2015 - 11:20 PM.

• Gtractor, limebuzz, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 12:07 AM

That is a lot of what I am seeing too. I think it may be less of an issue with the small amp mini alternators , seeing as how none of them have a fan at all!
I will just run it with the pulley on the same side as the motor and see how it goes. I will not have much load on it.
  • wvbuzzmaster and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 12:11 AM

Have fun.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 12:50 AM

The alternator like that that I purchased only lasted about 50 hours and failed. I hope your luck is better than mine. 

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,484 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:06 AM

I had one mounted on my Sears for a bit while I was trying to find a good stator. It worked fine when I was running lights and the winch, but it would over charge my battery and cause it to boil so I removed it once I fixed stator. I had 3 or 4 of them lying around from when I was into my Camaros so I figured why not.

photobucket-31126-1337088408501.jpg

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:18 AM

If you mount the alternator to the back of the tractor from the belt you should be OK.  When you look at the front of the motor and the front of the alternator, don't they both turn the same direction?  If you look at the motor from the back and the alternator from the front, is where you get opposite direction of rotation.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

#12 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 10:07 AM

The alternator makes 3 phase AC that gets rectified to DC and will work turning either direction, the only difference is the direction the cooling air flows through it.

• Cvans said thank you

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Mine went on like this.

• Gtractor and Cvans have said thanks

#14 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 11:24 PM

Well one way or the other, this will be behind the grille. If I have to build a jack shaft to flip the alternator, so be it. It seems like I will be ok with a counter clockwise rotation, and seeing as how the tiny alternators I am looking for does not have fan blades, I will take it as it comes.

My system is a little non standard. I am running an auto ignition and the battery from a Honda CRV (freaking a $130 battery too!) I think it should be fine for charging. Plus, my heaviest load will be snow blowing at night, and the cold temps will help.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you