11 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Here is the thing, we all like a certain brand for specific reasons. I want to hear your reasons for your favorite. No ragging here, we get that all the time and it does not seem productive. Just positives comments about "your" brand.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 08:27 AM

The thing That I really like about my Bolens is they have one of the best designs to change over attachments.
You can hook up and and disconnect any attachment in just minutes.

I also like the automotive style clutch on them as well.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• fast switch.jpg

Edited by Bolens 1000, April 09, 2011 - 08:52 AM.

• MH81 and middleageddeere have said thanks

#3 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 08:31 AM

Wow, that is cool. I never even knew about either of those points you made.

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 08:42 AM

I like older sears/murrays becuase they look cool and r very tough little tractors. Also because they have a heavy duty rearend and a briggs and stratton on them.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#5 Kraftsman OFFLINE  

Kraftsman

• Member No: 2285
  • 3 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 11:49 AM

My SS14 was the first old tractor I bought thats why I like Sears the best My first Love !

#6 101 senior ONLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 171 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 03:57 PM

My favorite tractors are Masseys. I grew up on a small farm. We had Massey Harris Tractors. My Fathers favorite was the 101 srs. They were cheap to buy, repair, and were powerhouses. I think Ive got the red paint fever. How ever, there are many old tractors out there that are great. I just like Massey red.

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 08:24 PM

I grew up on a farm also. And my uncle always used to say, "You can buy other tractors but you could at least paint them green when you get them home." I have always loved the look of JDs. I have also loved the fact that they try to have an option for every niche of the market; big, little, crappy (recently). I have been pretty disappointed with their LT and GT these days but still love the way the old ones look, sound and run.

#8 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 05:22 AM

It's red and it says Massey Ferguson on the side. What more could anyone want?

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Grew up using the Ferguson System. Harry Ferguson was genius in his time and changed agriculture forever with his invention. It has been added to with the use of computers over the years, but it's the format for the rear end of every tractor used in farming still today.

As for lawn upkeep, the only 2 brands I ever remember were Sears and MF. My dad still talks about how reliable a workhorse his Custom 6 was and how much better built it was than most everything since. Looking back, it took care of the property with a 36" deck when today mowers are running 50-60".
As with most others here, there is a certain heredity in the brands we favor and the brands we don't.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 07:59 AM

I'm primarily Massey, being brought up with them. But this thread is about characteristics, and some of my Bush Hogs have two neat things. The D4-10 has a very heavy duty automotive style clutch, and a rear pto that actually comes out of the rear differential like the big boys. My T-63 also uses the automotive style clutch.

#11 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 12:54 PM

Never heard of those Bush Hogs till this site. We always called those big 3pt mowers "Brush Hogs".

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 04:23 PM

I don't really have one set brand as I like a multitude of them. I really like the looks of the Massey's and they are built pretty good and are fairly easy to tear down for repairs. The variable drive is very nice because of the unlimited speed possibilities albeit a hydro is limitless also but comes with power loss. The variable drive system that is used on the Massey's is also used on some of the John Deeres as well. My biggest gripe about the attachments for the Masseys other then the mower decks is, they are a pain in the butt, but they are some of the sturdiest attachments out of any of the gt's out there.

I also really like Cub Cadets, mainly the narrow frames. I really like how the Cub's are built, easy to tear down and work on. The auto style clutch and direct driveline are a plus. The Cubs newer then a certain year also have a quick attach feature which makes it really nice just like the Bolens. Maybe even a little easier on some attachments and not so easier on others.

I also just recently bought a Bush Hog D4-10 which I haven't had a chance to play with yet let alone see it in person LOL. I like the looks of it as well and I really like the auto style drive line and the rear pto.