Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,954 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 09:02 PM

You can't always trust the 'magic eye', they can be misleading. The electrolyte should be brought up to the full line before charging. If you charge it for 3-4 hours at 10 amps, disconnect it for a couple of hours and it still reads below 13.2 or so, it's probably bad. Jump starting modern cars will kill computers/ controllers, etc... They should be connected to a jump box, charger or running car for at least 5-10 minutes before attempting to start.

After removing the charger it has bled back down to 11.6 volts, definitely bad. I used the 78 Roper and very high quality jumper cables. It started the car just fine. I'll find out if all the error messages were caused by the flat battery once I get funds for a new one. In hind site, the Dealer did say they ran the battery down while trying to verify the no-start issue while they had it. 

#107 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 09:04 PM

Good luck, you've had your share of bad!

#108 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,954 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 09:05 PM

No rural king around here, O'Rileys is the cheapest I found.

#109 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 09:44 PM

If the dealer ran it dead see if they will pony up another

• Gtractor and dodge trucker have said thanks

#110 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Wonder if the battery being weak was the whole issue all along?

• dodge trucker and toppop52 have said thanks

#111 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 09:45 AM

A weak battery that will still start on a daily basis can easily drop to dangerous voltage levels during cranking. While I doubt that it was the whole problem, I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#112 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,954 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 10:03 AM

Not sure if the battery was bad from the start, The dealer did do some heavy cranking while troubleshooting and verifying the no start issue, and had stated such. Then the car was parked for three weeks, I did go out on Saturday evenings to start it up and let it run for 30 minuets or so. Only when I decided to use it for a business trip, and after filling it up, did it decide to crap out on me again. Four months now and I have only used this car once for a trip, and discovered the MYKEY issue. Ever sense then it has been in the Dealership or parked in the weeds.

This morning's battery test, I charged it up for 2-3 hours yesterday to 13.5, watched it drop to 11.0 over a 3 hour period, and this is where it is at this morning.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140585.JPG

#113 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 10:23 AM

That's on a new battery?

#114 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,954 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 10:43 AM

That's on a new battery?

No, that is the original battery. 2012, only 3 years old.

#115 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 10:57 AM

Sorta off topic but out of curiosity what is your average battery life span in Texas? I've always heard heat is worse than the cold in some aspects.

Being mild in the Ohio valley. I usually see 4 to 6 years out of a good battery. 3 years to me would be completely unacceptable. My oem Tacoma battery is 4 years old and still going strong even my wife's oem kia battery went just over 5 years. Surprisingly my mom's 08 cobalt is still on the factory battery. Car only has 25k miles on it. I am curious to see if it makes it this winter.

The kia battery took a below very snap for 3 days before it died. I bought her a new battery and took the old one charged it up and used it to start GTs that we don't have batteries for. We don't have batteries for all of our tractors.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 22, 2015 - 11:21 AM.

#116 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 11:09 AM

3 years from an OEM Ford battery seems better than average/ back when I worked at Sears and had a row of cars lined up down the center of the shop for new batteries, GM seemed to have the best OE batteries, (they were the "oldest" OE batteries we swapped out)

Ford was absolutely the worst with many barely getting past the 12 mo mark from the car being brand new and Mopar  was "somewhere in between".  The layout of the shop was 1 door in, 1 door out (not separate bays) and the stalls were to both sides of the center aisle but we would pack em in 2 wide down the middle of the shop and wheel the testers from car to car and swap out the batteries "assembly-line" style.

#117 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,954 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Roper 20T - Huskey by Excide, 420CCA 6/2015 (No issues)

1988 Craftsman II - EverStart 230CCA 11/2010 (Still starts the GT, but needs a slight charge after sitting)

1990 Craftsman - ProStart 340CCA 4/2010 (Still starts the GT, but needs a slight charge after sitting)

07 Ranger - EverStart 590CCA 1/2015 (Not sure if the ordinal battery was OEM.

95 Camry - EverStart 750CCA 9/2013, No issues

I guess this tells where I get my batteries.

• Alc said thank you

#118 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 359 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 03:01 PM

I am having a hard time understanding all of these problems with batteries. The shortest time for a battery to last was 9 years & that was because something was left on that the key did not shut of running the battery down making it hard to start. That battery was replaced with in the next year. There are a few things that I do that may help with this, the first is every thing is shut off it the vehicle well before I shut the vehicle off. These things include heater / air conditioner fan, radio, & lights. These things I am always after my wife to shut off in her vehicle & if I drive it they do. The second thing I do is if a vehicle is going to sit with out starting for more than a week I connect a trickle charger on it to keep charge up as all vehicles have a constant draw from the battery when it is just sitting. The last batteries I changed was in my F350 Diesel that is a 2001 model year & I changed the factory batteries in 2013. Those were more expensive being a dual battery set up so changed both batteries. 

Charlie

#119 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,954 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 03:28 PM

My issue was a no-start defect originating at the Transmission control module. Battery was good at that time. Dealer had it a week, and all they did was reprogram the TCM, and wore the battery down trying to make it fail to start. I had the vehicle for a week, and it stranded me again with a TCM related no-start. Another week at the Dealer, they replaced the TCM this time and wore the battery down again testing it. Then I get it back, and don't drive it fir 3 weeks (but started it at least once a week, then on week 3 I needed to use the car and the battery was ka-put.

• MH81 said thank you

#120 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 05:46 PM

That battery is certainly toast. I wouldn't jump the car anymore and risk more damage, wait until you can get a new battery and charge it on 10 amps for 30 minutes or so before starting, that'll make sure the battery is at peak for the first startup.
  • DougT said thank you