• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#91 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 03:47 PM

Does anyone have recommendations for removing these bronze bearings? I tried a blind puller and they wouldn't budge.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Manfjourde, June 17, 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#92 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 08:08 PM

Are you trying to save them to be reused or just get them out of the hole?  How long are the bushings?

• Manfjourde said thank you

#93 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 08:32 PM

I have new ones so they can be trashed. I just need them out. They are about 1.5" deep at max, maybe less.

#94 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 09:13 PM

If you don't want to save them take a hacksaw blade and wrap one end with black tape to form a handle or wear a glove to make it easier to hold and slit the bushings lengthwise until you get to the metal tube material they are in by sawing a slit with the hack saw - try not to cut into the metal tube.  Have the teeth pointed towards you so that when you pull it the teeth bite in and cut the bushing - the bushing is soft and should cut fairly easy.  Once the bushing is slit they should pull out with your blind puller.  You could use a saws all with a small metal cutting blade but be careful as it may cut fairly fast and be harder to control.  Another option you could try is get a nut that just fits inside the bushing and thread the nut onto a piece of threaded rod.  Push the nut in past the end of the bushing and drive a wedge ( a small piece of flat steel or hardwood) in against the threaded rod so that the nut catches the inner lip of the bushing and the threaded rod is jambed up against the inside wall of the bushing.  Then slide a deep socket that is slightly larger than the outside of the bushing over the threaded rod and let it come up against the end of the tube.  Put a flat washer on the threaded rod and thread a nut on and begin to tighten it.  The threaded rod should pull the bushing out of the tube and inside of the deep socket if it is not too tight of a press fit.   

• Manfjourde said thank you

#95 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 17, 2016 - 11:34 PM

Does anyone have recommendations for removing these bronze bearings? I tried a blind puller and they wouldn't budge.

If the back end of the bushing is exposed, you can try driving them out from the opposite side with a long rod (approx. 1/2" - 5/8" dia).

• Bolens 1000 and Manfjourde have said thanks

#96 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 01:20 AM

Thank you all so much! I was able to use a jigsaw with metal blades and get far enough into the bushing and then use a hack blade to finish it along with a flat head screw driver to pry the piece out and then pull it with the puller.

What do you recommend to clean out the shavings from cutting that are in the old grease? Any tips or ideas would be great before I try my own ideas.

I pulled the other bearings that I'll be replacing and got all but this one. Any other tips? I'm stumped because the blind puller did great on all but this one. It just won't budge.

And as far as seating the new bushings - any tips? This is all new to me so I'm trying to find all the ideas and help I can.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks

#97 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,170 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 21, 2016 - 09:46 AM

A good degreaser / brakleen product should clean out the old grease - if the holes are not blind I would take a shop towel and push it through the tubes where the bushings were using a long 3/8" extension, screwdriver or punch.  I would recommend that you remove all the old grease as you may not be able to get rid of the shavings by themselves easily.  Wash the area out with a good dishwasher soap - work it around the tube inside with an old tooth brush to suspend any remaining dirt and debris and then wash it out. 

I assume the needle bearing is the one that won't move (second picture) - if it is not a blind hole get a socket that is just slightly smaller than the outside of the needle bearing and use it on the inside of the hole to butt up against the needle bearing.  Use a deep socket on the outside that is slightly larger inside than the outside of the bearing and let it come up against the outer face of the hole that the bearing is in.  A length of 5/16" or 3/8" threaded rod with a nut on each end going through the sockets and start to tighten the outer nut while holding the inner should start to walk the bearing into the inside of the outer socket - be careful that the inner socket does not catch on the edge of the hole that the bearing is pressed into and that the outer socket is centred so the outside of the needle bearing does not catch on the edge of the socket.

As for installing the new bushings if the hole is not blind you can pull them in using a piece of threaded rod with nuts and washers on the inner end of the bore as well as against the outer edge of the bushing - use two or three washers stacked against the bushing so they do not bend or damage the bushing.  Sometimes a bit of WD40 or other light lubricant makes them pull in easier.  You could place the bushings in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer for a while before you go to install them as this may make them a little smaller on the O.D.  I do not recommend that you drive or pound the bushings in as this usually ends up distorting the end of the bushing.  If you have a press and can put the piece in it you can press them in using it but looking at the pictures I assume the piece that the bushings are in is too large to place into a press easily.

Edited by 29 Chev, June 21, 2016 - 07:03 PM.

• Austen and Manfjourde have said thanks

#98 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 01:10 AM

I assume the needle bearing is the one that won't move (second picture) - if it is not a blind hole get a socket that is just slightly smaller than the outside of the needle bearing and use it on the inside of the hole to butt up against the needle bearing.  Use a deep socket on the outside that is slightly larger inside than the outside of the bearing and let it come up against the outer face of the hole that the bearing is in.  A length of 5/16" or 3/8" threaded rod with a nut on each end going through the sockets and start to tighten the outer nut while holding the inner should start to walk the bearing into the inside of the outer socket - be careful that the inner socket does not catch on the edge of the hole that the bearing is pressed into and that the outer socket is centred so the outside of the needle bearing does not catch on the edge of the socket.

Thank you for explaining that again - I had to visualize it for a few minutes but got what I needed and it worked great! It slid out so easily into the socket and then out with the puller AND I had started putting in some bearings but didn't get far so I used this method to seat them and again worked perfectly.

I grabbed some retaining rings for the wheels tonight and aren't snug and barely hold them on. Any suggestions in getting the right size for all of them in this tractor? The manual didn't show sizes and I'd rather not take the pieces or pliers with me to the store.

I plan to clean out the old grease tomorrow with some soap and toothbrush. I was able to "squeegee" a lot of the heavy, thick stuff tonight.

Thanks and here are some pics!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Bolens 1000 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#99 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 22, 2016 - 09:30 AM

Looks like your making some good progress, Let me know the numbers you need on the snap rings I interchanged all of them when I redid mine a few years ago

#100 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 11:01 AM

Was there some kind of sealant on the inside of the gear case? If I remember right there was a gasket on that hole as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#101 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 01:16 PM

I think all that should be there are the little rubber seals

#102 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 05:23 PM

I think all that should be there are the little rubber seals

1/16 thick right? Should I scrape off that residue of whatever it is?

#103 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 08:06 PM

1/16 thick right? Should I scrape off that residue of whatever it is?

Yeah thats about what they were, I'd scrape all the crap out of there, its only grease that goes in there so the seal is just a dust seal really.

• 29 Chev and Manfjourde have said thanks

#104 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Yeah thats about what they were, I'd scrape all the crap out of there, its only grease that goes in there so the seal is just a dust seal really.

Perfect, thanks. Any tips on cutting a perfect hole? I see myself cutting with. A razor blade and being jaggy. Maybe just trace it with a razor blade?

#105 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 06:22 AM

That or a putty knife