• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#61 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 01:47 AM

Thank you! I thinned with the Sunnyside naphtha and sprayed the hood. It is a lot smoother than the other parts (they aren't bad but noticeable). I want the hood to be like glass if I can. Should I wet sand and then shoot with even thinner paint?

A note regarding the wheels - when I told the shop what I wanted the guy said they install tires on $1000 rims and they are good to not scratch while installing. I learned a lesson - just spray the whole wheel, get tires installed and then touch up the minor scuffs. I really wish I had done this to save time and have more uniform paint on the wheels. I got some sags but they go onto the backside of the wheel and aren't noticeable from the outside.

Tonight I did the hood which was the last primed part and I did the yellow on the grill. It will need to be scuffed and another cost applied but for now all primed parts are painted! I feel pleased for my first endeavor at painting and have learned a lot. Also I really like the Oliver green and transport yellow together even though they aren't true to the original colors.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Tbrooks and 29 Chev have said thanks

#62 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 07:17 AM

Nice work!! Looks great, I can't wait to see this thing bolted back together. I'm guessing it's kinda hard to not got some saggy parts in paint. I took my wheels to the body shop where I used to work and they painted them for me cheap. Well cheap and fast I'm guessing because my wheels have multiple sags or runs in the clear. So don't feel bad, even "professional painters" do it.
  • Manfjourde said thank you

#63 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 01:07 PM

Well I think I am going to start getting this back together now that the parts have sat for a bit. It will be a long, slow process but I'll try to update with pics as I go.

Do you think that pushing dirt, rocks, snow with a from push blade would be stressful and bad on the engine and tranny?

#64 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 05:08 PM

I wouldn't think so, it should spin before it does any damage.

#65 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 05:14 PM

Well I think I am going to start getting this back together now that the parts have sat for a bit. It will be a long, slow process but I'll try to update with pics as I go.

Do you think that pushing dirt, rocks, snow with a from push blade would be stressful and bad on the engine and tranny?

only thing I'm thinking for possible damage would be breaking a drive pawl if your hitting ice chunks or get hung up on uneven concrete

#66 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 06:09 PM

That cub was made for the abuse, get it running and keep your fresh restoration nice for next spring summer! You did a great job and don't feel bad about the runs in the paint, I have logged hundreds of hours in the booth and I still have imperfections quite frequently. The more you paint the better you will get and the more you will know your equipment. You will get better the more you paint, and paint in different environments. Looking good hope to see more soon.

#67 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:44 PM

That cub was made for the abuse, get it running and keep your fresh restoration nice for next spring summer! You did a great job and don't feel bad about the runs in the paint, I have logged hundreds of hours in the booth and I still have imperfections quite frequently. The more you paint the better you will get and the more you will know your equipment. You will get better the more you paint, and paint in different environments. Looking good hope to see more soon.

I can't find a plow blade as cheap for the cub but you make good points.

#68 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 04:43 PM

I have a whole cub 1250 and plow for sale if you want.

#69 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 10:28 AM

Okay I am going to start getting this back together. The first thing I need to do is degrease the gearbox gears. I have read and found multiple solutions online. Are there any that you prefer? I have time and would prefer a soak of some kind in diesel or kerosene. What do you suggest?

#70 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • Member No: 69804
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:31 PM

I just soaked my trans in diesel, cleaned it out pretty good

#71 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:20 PM

I prefer using paint thinner but whatever you are comfortable with is probably good. My only advice would be to use the least aggressive solution. I use a ultrasonic bath but usually not big enough for what you need, just let it soak overnight and it will be less work for you.

#72 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:54 PM

I've got some diesel on hand - not much paint thinner. I'm thinking just fill an oil pan and let it soak a few days. Would that be good for it?

#73 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 12:46 PM

I would think that would be OK but ensure it is thoroughly clean and dry when you have emptied it.

#74 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Well I have all the gears soaking in diesel and so far so good. It's coming off slowly. I play to scrub and wipe tomorrow.

Also I grabbed a cheap puller from harbor freight and pulled my main engine pulley off. I've sprayed it about once a week for the past 2 months and once it started it slid off quite easily. Is there any reason to replace the main shaft bearing on the engine?

#75 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Well I have all the gears soaking in diesel and so far so good. It's coming off slowly. I play to scrub and wipe tomorrow.

Also I grabbed a cheap puller from harbor freight and pulled my main engine pulley off. I've sprayed it about once a week for the past 2 months and once it started it slid off quite easily. Is there any reason to replace the main shaft bearing on the engine?

If there is no slop or growling coming from the crankshaft bearings there's really no need to replace, they are constantly lubed from the oil dipper and if the previous owner did oil changes then they will rarely wear.