Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help with an Allis B12

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 01:25 PM

My later B10 has the 243341 B&S engine. Yours should be the slightly bigger one for 12 hp. It should be the same engine as my MTD 1200. I'll go check it. Meanwhile, look for the B&S Repairmans Manual. Good Luck, Rick

It is probably in the 300401 to 300424 series. In my opinion you are better off pulling the engine out, pulling the shroud and cleaning the engine are a good start. I have found that mice really like these engines an build nests in them every winter. The young chew on the wires and piss on the coil causing corrosion and shorts. When I pulled the engine on my son's B10 two years ago, there were two layers of mouse nest and a 4' snake skin in the shroud. The cooling fins were totally plugged and would have overheated the engine if it had started.

While you are that far along, consider overhauling the engine. Thorough disassembly and cleaning can head off impending failure and help it run better. Lap and gap the valves. Good Luck, Rick

I found the tag on this engine and the numbers are gone.  This was a sticker tag, not what I am used to with a briggs.  My question is, would the range you gave me be good enough for ordering parts such as gaskets, points, etc?

#17 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 04:57 PM

I don't know on that. Check with a sponsor. Good Luck, Rick

#18 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 06:00 PM

I wouldn't order any parts till you figure out what model the engine is.  there should be a set of #s stamped on the flywheel cover somewhere, look either on the top near the spark plug or down on the side near the center line of the flywheel.  you may need to do a little cleaning and sanding to find them they are not very defined.

Pete

#19 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 07:30 PM

I wouldn't order any parts till you figure out what model the engine is. there should be a set of #s stamped on the flywheel cover somewhere, look either on the top near the spark plug or down on the side near the center line of the flywheel. you may need to do a little cleaning and sanding to find them they are not very defined.
Pete

This is true. I have had Briggs engines where I was sure the numbers weren't there but they sure were once I went the extra step. I hope this is the case as I need to get some gaskets for the carb.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:19 AM

Are there numbers on the carb?
  • David Brown said thank you

#21 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:51 AM

Are there numbers on the carb?

Maybe.  I have it soaking at the moment to try and remove all the crud.  I'll have to look when I pull it out again.  We'll see how things go tonight after I go through the firewood ritual.

• MH81 said thank you

#22 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 01:21 PM

So I had a little time today and decided to get back to the Allis project I've been sitting on for a couple of years now.  When last we left Allis, she had no spark.  Well, things haven't changed.  She was cranking over fine but, alas, no spark.  Started cleaning connections (years of sitting under a porch roof), looked at the points, they look like new, still nothing.  I started to think the voltage reguator might be bad.  Then, in my smack the head and call yourself stupid moment, I knew exactly what the problem was (is).  It has to be the coil.  This is a briggs and the flywheel is probably so corroded that it's not setting to coil off.  Guess an engine removal is in order this week (I hope).  Now, a question, was there only one engine on these tractors?  I ask because, I have been all over this engine and have found no numbers what-so-ever.  Gonna need those numbers if I have to get parts.  I found part of a tag that looks like it had important numbers at one time but, of course, they are worn off.  Briggs usually stamps numbers into the shroud but I have yet to find any.  This thing has the hi/lo range so I really want to get it running and find a tiller for it.  I have a snow plow, deck and garden plow for it already.

Once I have it running (it will run), I'll get some new tires for it and set about painting it.  I just have to find paint that is a close match.  Any suggestions there?

if your having problems finding info on it look at the shroud 

there will usually be numbers on it describing the carb. and coil.

i dont know if you know this but i thought i would bring it up

#23 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 01:24 PM

if your having problems finding info on it look at the shroud 

there will usually be numbers on it describing the carb. and coil.

i dont know if you know this but i thought i would bring it up

oops i just read it better :wallbanging: