• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 05:28 PM

I had a post about buying a drill press during our town wide yard sale...Well, my wife had a 1st time yard sale and a lady that lives down the block bought a food vacuum unit from my wife.

The lady calls today saying she can't make the unit work. My wife said she used it 2-3 years ago without any issues but didn't remember exactly how to do it. She told the lady the instructions were included in the box.

Everything on our yard sale worked, and we had an electric cord set up so anyone could check any item before they bought it.

The lady just couldn't figure out how to load the plastic bags into the machine so she didn't want it.

The lady's husband brought the unit back and wanted their money back. My wife said not a problem because training to use the unit were not included in the $15 price.

What a Moron................

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, Bruce Dorsi and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 05:45 PM

I just had someone buy a used $345 electronic ignition module for their mower and then opened a return stating that it was defective.I installed it on my tractor after it was returned and it works fine so I sent the buyer an email stating that it works fine and they sent me a reply telling me that it was good to know as they are trying to diagnose a non running tractor.I got to pay the to and from shipping charges,received a defect from Ebay and I was thankful that the defective part on their mower did not ruin my part.

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 10:26 PM

Since when can you return yard sale items?  I thought yard sales were as is, where is... you win some and you lose some.

You're a good guy to take it back.  Better than I would be!  :wave:

I just had someone buy a used $345 electronic ignition module for their mower and then opened a return stating that it was defective.I installed it on my tractor after it was returned and it works fine so I sent the buyer an email stating that it works fine and they sent me a reply telling me that it was good to know as they are trying to diagnose a non running tractor.I got to pay the to and from shipping charges,received a defect from Ebay and I was thankful that the defective part on their mower did not ruin my part.

I won't go into dear folks like that.  I report that type.  You should be able to appeal that through eBay if you are able to spend an hour on the phone and prove your case.  This is where I wish we could still leave negative feedback for a buyer. 

Ben W.

• rustyoldjunk, DougT and Cat385B have said thanks

#4 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 11:43 PM

I won't go into dear folks like that.  I report that type.  You should be able to appeal that through eBay if you are able to spend an hour on the phone and prove your case.  This is where I wish we could still leave negative feedback for a buyer. 

Ben W.

That was the last straw for me with eBay. I was a top rated power seller with a eBay store and a verified business Pay Pal account (and still have the framable certificates that eBay sent me). I got the short end from buyers enough but when eBay dropped the sellers ability to leave honest feedback for a buyer,I dropped eBay....and Pay Pal. I haven't messed with them for a few years now. If I really need to get something I have my brother in law bid on or buy it and just pay him.

• superaben said thank you

#5 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 11:55 PM

That was the last straw for me with eBay. I was a top rated power seller with a eBay store and a verified business Pay Pal account (and still have the framable certificates that eBay sent me). I got the short end from buyers enough but when eBay dropped the sellers ability to leave honest feedback for a buyer,I dropped eBay....and Pay Pal. I haven't messed with them for a few years now. If I really need to get something I have my brother in law bid on or buy it and just pay him.

They put a hold on  payments now 

#6 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 12:07 AM

They were doing that before I left.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 12:21 AM

I was at an auction over the weekend and someone returned an item they bought earlier in the day! The auctioneer took the item back, told the guy they were to leave and never come to any more of his auctions (banned), and then resold the item. The auctioneer was nice enough to tell everyone what happened, but not the guys name... Dang lol.

#8 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 05:11 AM

It's all Walmarts fault........they will take anything back for any reason. Now people think everyone else should do the same

• rustyoldjunk, DougT and KC9KAS have said thanks

#9 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:09 AM

Since when can you return yard sale items?  I thought yard sales were as is, where is... you win some and you lose some.

You're a good guy to take it back.  Better than I would be!  :wave:

Ben W.

I had a neg removed last week and it only took about 10 minutes.I had someone request a $170 refund for an item that tracking showed was delivered.He then received the item days later just after I had the neg removed and said he was sorry and was going to remove the neg and asked that we could still do business in the future.Blocked.

I have had more returns in the last 6 months than I have had in the previous 10 years.I don't need it anymore,I found one cheaper.I didn't read your serial number breakdown before I bought the part,I thought it would fit another tractor other than what it was intended for etc.

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I don't even return things I say "I need to return that, it was not what was advertised..."

Returning thru ebay is a good way to lose money, because most sellers do not refund shipping either direction (understandable). Often times when you figure the price of keeping or returning the item it becomes easier to say "i guess i bought parts for what i need since ill have nothing for almost half what i paid to have something if i send it back."

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 02:50 PM

I used to have free shipping on most of my items but have been lowering prices and having shipping charges due to the amounts of returns I have been having.A buyer with remorse or mistake pays for the shipping both ways but with free shipping the seller eats the to destination charges.I lost well over a $100 in shipping charges in the last 3 months due to returns with "free" shipping.

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 03:12 PM

I don't sell in volume on ebay.  But when I do sell there is no "free" shipping.  Actual shipping charges apply. 

I don't think I've ever returned any items I've bought on ebay either.  If I buy it, and its wrong, if I "thought" it would work and it doesn't well that's my fault.  I've never ran into anything I've bought being incorrectly listed.  Just me going ohhh that may work!

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 04:30 PM

The reason I listed free shipping is so that a low star rating could not be received for shipping charges and that is important when you are trying to get a 20% discount on fees.