5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 11:03 AM

I hate to keep asking about these things but I have not found a listing for the different frame tractor models.  Or is anything that is not listed in the write up as a Tube Frame, a Large frame?  What about medium frames?  Is there a certain ending number or suffix that one can go by?

I have some of the large frames marked through the HT23 as the 8th one built.  Several models built after that but what were they?

Thanks in advance for the info on this.

Edited by chieffan, August 23, 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#2 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 950 Thanks
  • 377 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 02:23 PM

1658 is an H16XL. 1658-02 would place it as a 1979 vintage. The XL/Medium Frame Series was made for many many years under a large multitude of model/serial numbers.
  • Cat385B and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 03:45 PM

So a tractor with an XL or XT designation would be a Medium frame, is that correct.  I just found the article on the large frames I was looking for.  Thanks much.  Rog

#4 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 950 Thanks
  • 377 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 04:31 PM

Yes, all XL, X1 and XT are Medium Frame Series, which many simply refer to as XL series as to not confuse them with the Medium Tubeframe Series.

Easiest way to yell a Medium XL series is the tube steel front axle (as opposed to a cast iron axle) and the belt mule drive PTO. All others including the Q series, 5000 series, 5100 DURATRAC Series all have a cast iron front axle with a front PTO SHAFT drive.

The XL Series are really great tractors overall and we're very popular machines. They just don't get the love and attention from collectors and enthusiasts. I really need to work a write up for them to help with properly identifying them.
  • Bruce Dorsi, chieffan and Paulgo have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 05:30 PM

Thanks much ClassicBolens.  that makes it real easy to identify them.  Many times they will be listed for sale but the seller has no clue what it is other than what is on the hood or fender.  I have G16xt I picked up in St Louis early this spring with L head Briggs.  Had to put a starter in it but other than that, expense wise, not much at all and it is a great running tractor.  I really like the feel of the larger tractor.  It has an electric winch on it for the sleeve hitch which is a work saver - if I remember to stop it in time.  Really to fast so will have to see about slowing it down a little.

• Paulgo said thank you

#6 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 07:44 PM

I got in an argument on facebook with a guy who said that the QT's were medium frames. I said that I have owned both and that the QT series was slightly bigger and a lot heavier than the medium frame series. He said they are STILL MEDIUM FRAMES, so I gave up. I guess any time there is something bigger and something smaller, then the ones in the middle are mediums. I just didn't want them confused with the XL's...

Paul

• ClassicBolens said thank you