• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 5ubtle OFFLINE  

• Member No: 74379
  • 13 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 04:43 PM

Hi again,

The plastic dash "surround" on my recently purchased MF12 is almost completely gone.  I call it a "surround" but I don't really know what it is known as.  See my picture.  It is the plastic piece which fills the gap between the steel dash panel and the hood.

What is the correct name for it?  I'd like to try to find one used.

Also, what is the forum convention for us new guys asking questions?  Should I make a new post for each new question, or should I put all of my questions into one post?

Thank you for all your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dash Surround.jpg

#2 5ubtle OFFLINE  

• Member No: 74379
  • 13 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 10:26 PM

I found what it is called using agcopartsbooks.com.  They call it "Cowl, Instrument".  Part number is 513613M1.  This is the first time that I've used agcopartsbooks.  It's pretty neat.

Now just to find one.  Google gave me no search results for 513613M1.

• propane1 said thank you

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 07:56 AM

Yes, dash or cowl is the normal term. Finding a new one would be like finding the Holy Grail! Your only hope would be to find a good used one, which is again, not easy! If you are lucky, you can find a spare one that still has all the broken pieces with it. They can be plastic welded if you can find someone with a good plastic welder that infuses plastic rods into the repair. (I am pretty sure they are ABS plastic)

Once repaired, a brace that goes on the inside to plate the lower bolts which ties it to the bottom bolts of the metal dash will help support the weight, while reducing failure down the road. The easiest way is a hand laid fiberglass brace that has large washers to reinforce the bolt areas. One day I will make one and take plenty of photos.

Here is a really bad dash I built out of two. One had been hacked to fit a battery, the other was broken all over and a huge chunk missing from the top edge. I litterly cut patches out of the one that was hacked for the battery to repair the rough one. I even used parts of the lower mount hole to replace missing parts of my "good one". Then there was a hole to be filled where a switch was mounted.

I still need to do the cosmetic repairs to the dash and prime it before paint, but I want to build the fiberglass brace first. This one will replace my old one that I tried to epoxy repair and use bigger washers.... It didn't hold up.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by FirefyterEmt, August 23, 2015 - 08:00 AM.

• limebuzz and 5ubtle have said thanks

#4 cheluIS OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46558
  • 162 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 06:54 AM

If you want to repair it try this :

http://gardentractor...e-9?hl= cheluis

from post # 124