4 replies to this topic

#1 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 09:10 AM

so as some of you know i picked up a 149 last week. it has a problem where on first start up of the day the hydro makes a lot of noise for about a minute then stops. kinda like the pump is dry starting.  any ideas on how to fix that. also my in reverse it doesnt want to move.  I new to these hydro cubs so any ideas would be helpful

#2 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 10:37 AM

The 149 has two relief valves on top of the transmission . They are located under the tunnel cover and should have two buttons on top . One is forward and the other is reverse . The later model cubs have auto release valves that don't have the buttons on top and a small vent hole where the button is located on the earlier ones . They are interchangeable and the reason I mention the later ones is in case one or both might have been replaced sometime in the past . Sometimes the buttons get dirty and sticks down (pressure release position ) . If one sticks down the tractor won't move in that direction ( I'm not sure which is the forward and which is the reverse release valve ) .

If one is stuck down you can try spraying it with PB blaster or some other penetrating oil while pushing on it , this often will free it up . You can also remove them and swap them and the tractor should then move in the reverse but not forward direction if the one is bad . A noisy hydro could very well be a dirty ( clogged filter ) or water in the hytran fluid . I'd check the release valves to make sure both release buttons are up and change filter and fluid .

Attached Thumbnails

• 782 rearend #1.jpg

Edited by Jlaws, August 22, 2015 - 10:42 AM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 12:28 PM

The 149 has two relief valves on top of the transmission . They are located under the tunnel cover and should have two buttons on top . One is forward and the other is reverse . The later model cubs have auto release valves that don't have the buttons on top and a small vent hole where the button is located on the earlier ones . They are interchangeable and the reason I mention the later ones is in case one or both might have been replaced sometime in the past . Sometimes the buttons get dirty and sticks down (pressure release position ) . If one sticks down the tractor won't move in that direction ( I'm not sure which is the forward and which is the reverse release valve ) .

If one is stuck down you can try spraying it with PB blaster or some other penetrating oil while pushing on it , this often will free it up . You can also remove them and swap them and the tractor should then move in the reverse but not forward direction if the one is bad . A noisy hydro could very well be a dirty ( clogged filter ) or water in the hytran fluid . I'd check the release valves to make sure both release buttons are up and change filter and fluid .

I have removed the relief valves already and got them unstuck, although i have not swapped them around to see what that does,  to my understanding there is a main system relief infront of the other two. maybe the spring in that one is weak.  I have done lots of work on heavy equipment hydraulics but nothing with non adjustable reliefs and older technology. 

#4 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 01:46 PM

There is some adjustments to the pump pressures but I didn't want to get into it if you weren't familiar with hydraulic systems .

Here's part of a page out of one of my manuals , it will give you a ideal of what pressures your pump should be putting out .

If pump pressures are low there are a couple of things that the manual suggests .

Attached Thumbnails

• hydralic lift 2 003.JPG

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 08:50 AM

I looked into it more and found out that the (sorry for me not knowing wat its called) looks like a spring on the lever running to control the swash plate was stuck. Fixxed thay now it goes good. Engine lugs down a lot when u move now. Dont know if its because the old gas thats in it or the fact that it is burning a lot of oil