• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 06:23 AM

I've got one almost like that. Had it since 95. That one looks well cared for and should last you forever. 

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,131 Thanks
  • 4,548 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 07:13 AM

If I feel the need to get heavy handed on the feed, I back off, sharpen the bit and lay the cutting oil to it. I believe in slow speed, cutting oil and a gentle hand when drilling holes in steel.

Good advice..  It's all about the feed and speed!!  (brings a machinist's handbook to mind)  

I only have a table top but have had a need for a floor model a few (not too many) times though..  I have even made a few tools on that thing and some complex cuts..  I don't use it much but when I do it's great to have..

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,664 Thanks
  • 4,212 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 08:19 AM

I bought one several years ago thinking I would only use it occasionally, but now I don't think I could get along without it.  A very useful tool.

As I was reading the comments and read this, I said out loud, " I feel the same way about my wife"!....She is still laughing!

Thanks for all positive comments.

• Alc said thank you

#19 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,453 Thanks
  • 6,342 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 08:41 AM

Good old Homier, right in town here.  As noted, they do more trailer traveling sales. Used to be pretty good, but now closed all  it's regular stores, warehouse for sale, but still doing trailer stuff. Not sure what is going on with them. Lots of junk was sold there too. They once sold line of tractors, same as the Northern ones when they first came out. They quit that after few years. Think lots of trouble with those early models, better made now on one's left selling.  I think this press will be good for home shop, wanted one myself, and was good price for sure.  Make sure the chuck is tight on taper. That is where mine on bench slipped and messed up the taper and kept falling off.  I think I used for too big of holes on smaller press really.