b10 allis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ocbinva OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3556
  • 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 02:12 PM

I picked up a B1 and B10 for a project.  I also have two David Bradley Suburban's.  Anyway my son has taken claim to the B10.  When we picked it up the steering would not turn.  I will be looking at it next week so anything I need to focus on when they will not turn?  I know I could figure it out but thought maybe it you all could save me a bit of time by letting know where to focus my efforts.  I am ordering a carb rebuild kit and getting  thing ready for him to get it running.  Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• Allis B1.jpg
  • Allis Chalmers B-10.jpg

Edited by ocbinva, August 21, 2015 - 02:19 PM.

• boyscout862 and Dennisjeax have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,509 Thanks
  • 7,373 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 02:22 PM

Great score!  Big Ten(the 1965 B10) was the first tractor my son Ricky loved. It wasn't ours so, I got him a B10. I fixed it up and he spent hours riding it around our property. Download the manuals from our Manuals Section. If you are interested in the history and the attachments that were made for the B10 go to www.simpletractors.com  .

You can get at the stearing gears from underneath. I have had problems with them worn loose and the shear keys breaking. Look for something jammed in the gears as they are exposed. Post more picks. Good Luck, Rick

BTW They are so nice that we now have 3.

Edited by boyscout862, August 21, 2015 - 05:31 PM.

• ocbinva said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 02:38 PM

...also check the front spindles.

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,052 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 02:54 PM

To get at the gears, you will need to pop a side panel off.  Blast it with WD and work it in...they get setup, but are rare actually froze, as they have a bronze bushing in the main assembly.  It's possible chewed acorns and such are piled up in there too...see that 50% of the time when i bring one home, but never so bad as to lock the steering.

#5 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48052
  • 307 Thanks
  • 599 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 03:17 PM

When I got mine the steering was almost froze.  Started really looking into it and found that a large rubberband looking thing was stuck up in the gear set.  PB Blaster, removed the rubber band thing, and lots of turning back and forth while spraying did the trick.

Get the front wheels off the ground with jack stands makes it easier to works the parts free again.

#6 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,701 Thanks
  • 2,161 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 03:52 PM

The first thing I would do is remove the tie rod from the steering arm to the front wheels, that will tell you where it is stuck.  otherwise the others have it, lots of pb blaster and some elbow grease !!  Great tractors, you will fall in love so hard and fast your wife wont know what happened :thumbs: 

• AfterShock95 said thank you

#7 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 05:42 PM

I agree with petrj6

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: b10, allis