• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ocbinva OFFLINE  

ocbinva

• Member No: 3556
  • 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 09:27 AM

I have a 61 and 63 suburban.  I gave my son the 63 to restore.  He tore it down last year and put engine in the wheel barrow and parked in the shed with a tarp.  Well I have not been back to that area in over a year and the roof leaked and tarp blew off and the engine has been underwater for who knows how long but looks like a long time.  The engine ran before being removed although not well.  Tonight I am going to drain it and fill with ATF or Marvel to let it soak for a few days.  My question is after I flush it and get new plug and oil is it best to see if I can get running or do I invest in a rebuild kit and go through the whole engine and carb and just do a full rebuild?  Opinions appreciated.  Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• SIDE VIEW.jpg

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Is it stuck? Might warrant a complete tear down, might not.

#3 ocbinva OFFLINE  

ocbinva

• 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 10:41 AM

Not sure yet.  I hope to look at it tonight.  I did not want to try and turn it over much until I give it a day or two an a a good ATF soak

#4 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 11:00 AM

I had a 143302 on my panzer I did about the same thing cleaned it real good. Ran ok but a year later it was dogging it really needed a full rebuild. I dropped in a brand new briggs and will rebuild the old one some day

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 12:04 PM

Similar has happened to me too. In this situation I prefer to dry it completely and soak in kerosene. Kero is cheaper and penetrates better because it is thinner.  Good Luck, Rick

#6 ocbinva OFFLINE  

ocbinva

• 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 01:57 PM

Yea I was thinking of using 50/50 acetone and ATF.  I use that exclusively as a penetrating fluid and I swear by it.  The acetone helps pull the ATF into areas.  I am also working on a 1980 Z28 and I was pulling the control arms out that were original hardware.  I squirted them 2 or 3 times a day. for 3 days and I was able to get them apart no problem and they were rusted BAD!!!  I am also a big fan of Marvel Mystery Oil and it seems to work great on the vintage stuff it was originally designed for. I never thought of kerosene though.

Plus my son now wants my Allis B10 so its up to me to fix the DB....RIck

Edited by ocbinva, August 21, 2015 - 01:58 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: briggs, stratton, rebuild