Garden Tractor Forums banner

Briggs total rebuild?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ocbinva 
#1 ·
I have a 61 and 63 suburban. I gave my son the 63 to restore. He tore it down last year and put engine in the wheel barrow and parked in the shed with a tarp. Well I have not been back to that area in over a year and the roof leaked and tarp blew off and the engine has been underwater for who knows how long but looks like a long time. The engine ran before being removed although not well. Tonight I am going to drain it and fill with ATF or Marvel to let it soak for a few days. My question is after I flush it and get new plug and oil is it best to see if I can get running or do I invest in a rebuild kit and go through the whole engine and carb and just do a full rebuild? Opinions appreciated. Rick

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yea I was thinking of using 50/50 acetone and ATF. I use that exclusively as a penetrating fluid and I swear by it. The acetone helps pull the ATF into areas. I am also working on a 1980 Z28 and I was pulling the control arms out that were original hardware. I squirted them 2 or 3 times a day. for 3 days and I was able to get them apart no problem and they were rusted BAD!!! I am also a big fan of Marvel Mystery Oil and it seems to work great on the vintage stuff it was originally designed for. I never thought of kerosene though.

Plus my son now wants my Allis B10 so its up to me to fix the DB....RIck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.