• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 11:05 PM

I know no one else noticed, but I sure have been missing the place the last few days. Stealing 5 minutes morning, at lunch and at 11 doesn't quite cut it.

Last Friday, I brought home a rental excavator. Rented from a local place, I managed to get it stuck once (eventually got it out) shed a track (they didnt have them tight enough IMHO) and more than once had a load that made it light on one side or the other while turning to dump.

We had to un-muck the drainage ditches at the farm. Here is an Arial view.
image.jpg
We are using the SCS plans we have in place for the farm and bringing them back into place as best we can.
The larger blue lines toward the top are the long ditch that runs across the old pasture. You can also see a small "pond-ette" in that run where a spring comes to the surface. The gap In The line is a culvert we replaced also.
The branch that points down and left, I only had 14" of overall depth to play with. Lots of transit work on that one.
The reddish circles are little cleanup jobs, one being removal of the guide wire anchors from the old electric lines that were abandoned by the power company. Wish I had a nickel for every time those anchors have been in the road.
The orangish line is the water run off from the road. The state used to take care of it. That stopped in the late 60's. I would say Dad last cleaned it all out in the mid 80's

Those are all done.

I have a couple small things not on the picture, one just out of frame is a Township culvert that's being neglected and backing up water into an already nuisance pond down the dirt road. Another is the burn pit cleanup I have been ignoring and the third is a gutter run from the barn to the most upper blue line. (Yellow)

The purple line toward the bottom. Because it's within 100 feet of a roadway, I felt it prudent to use the Public Utility buried line finding service we have here. It's called PA One Call. They will all have been there and check off on the project by midnight Thursday. So that's my last project. Downspout and drainage to the road ditch.

So far (measured with a rolling wheel) 2,937 feet of ditch, 4-5 foot wide average, one spring water pond reclaimed, and a couple very tired young transit runners. (damn, I am SO proud of my kids)
Hope they hang in there for the last of it without forming a union. :D
  • olcowhand, DH1, Gtractor and 11 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 11:13 PM

Hi Alan, you have been missed, but at least I know the business venture we need to work towards now. :D
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 12:11 AM

The problem with excavators is that they are so darned handy. But, way too expensive. Pics? Good Luck, Rick

• MH81 said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 12:57 AM

That's a lot of digging to to, but it's going to be a big improvement and satisfying when the project is completed. My neighbor rents small 12,000 lb. excavators from time to time for landscape work. If he finishes a job early, he allows me to use it for a day or two. It's usually a Cat 304 and they are great little machines with a thumb and push blade. I dug up many stumps, moved lots of boulders, and did some grading. I used to run quite a few different excavators at work from mini excavators up to an Hitachi 450. Also ran a 50 foot long reach to bail settling ponds and an Akerman H25D quarry shovel to load the haul truck. Man I had lots of fun on those machines. Seven weeks on a rock hammer breaking boulders up on the quarry floor wasn't too much fun, though!
It's more involved running those little excavators since they are quick, light, and we tend to push them to the limit. I jump on one every chance I get, since I enjoy the heck out of running them. Good thing you got some transit runners, have fun!
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 03:40 AM

That's quite a little project, Alan! Glad you have some help getting it done!

• MH81 said thank you

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 04:30 AM

Gee Alan, after all that fun, how do you go back to getting anything done with GTs?  Nice work though.  I really dig what you're doing there.

• MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 05:14 AM

Sounds like quite the project. Its easy to dig with a mini how. I never got to where I could hold the grade very well. But I enjoyed it.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,616 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 06:58 AM

Visual aids. I love visual aids!

Where did you dump all that mess you dug out? Did you just leave it where it was?

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 07:12 AM

You were gone? Hadn't noticed :poke:  :poke: :bigrofl:  

Sounds like you have been busy with clean up. I need to do similar with all the down trees on the property, that will take me days or a weeks to get it all cut up.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 07:59 AM

Where did you dump all that mess you dug out? Did you just leave it where it was?

Going to smooth it out as I have time as a berm of sorts for most of it. Some I have to relocate, but that's minimal.

It's been such a mess, I didnt want to take a camera in. I may do a few "after shots" and I can get a couple of the downspout area too.
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 08:21 AM

It's kinda standard practice to build your berms and grade as you go......

Rookie.
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 09:01 AM

It's kinda standard practice to build your berms and grade as you go......
Rookie.

That's how you hayucks in Michigan do it...
Down here, we rent the unit and run the b@lls off it before we have to return it, then go back with the dozer and smear it around.

Much less efficient but if you are a one man band... Or were you volunteering to come out and fix it? :D
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,718 Thanks
  • 4,276 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 09:10 AM

That's how you hayucks in Michigan do it...
:D

UMMMM.........Alan, He's in Mini soda, not Michigan!!  

• MH81, KennyP and Cat385B have said thanks

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 09:13 AM

I'm gonna need more photos before I can bid the cleanup and grading.

Why are you insulting our upstanding Michigan members? Aside from adding moisture to every storm that's heading your way, Roger, Josh, Jerome, Don, and company did nothing to deserve such a harsh rebuke.

Us Minnesotans throw spitwads at every PA plated automobile we see, however.
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 10:09 AM

That was a lot of work, but I bet it was fun too. I've always liked doing spring work that involved getting the water flowing and moving out of the yard. How tough are the gov't. regulations on draining water in your part of the country? Up here it's getting so that you hardly dare walk across a field with a hoe in your hand before someone "in authority" is on your case because someone downstream figures the water should go somewhere else or stay where it is, regardless of the natural lie of the land.

• MH81 said thank you