Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,595 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:59 PM

Two weeks ago this coming Sunday I got up early as it was actually cool enough that I could function outside.  The brush cutter was already on the Fergie and the yard was needing mowed.  Figured I'd finish with the rough cut mower then switch over to the finish mower for the yard.   Mowed just a little on the right of way and had to cross a pretty good ditch so I shut the PTO off.  Crossed the ditch, turned the PTO on and... nothing....   I sheared the shaft inside the tractor rearend.  Don't quite know how because the PTO was off at the time.  I got talent!!!    Must have twisted the tractor chassis and the shaft must have already been cracked.  I know the shaft was bent.  I did that myself a few years ago. :mad2:

Had to fire up the Super C farmall to mow the yard.  It hadn't been started in 3 years.  As usual it performed flawlessly and actually does a better job mowing and does it quicker with less fuel.

Ordered the part from Steiner - then - found it for less than half price elsewhere on the net.  

Live and learn.

Here is the broken shaft. 

PTO.jpg

I guess the pin through the shaft weakens it enough thats the "shear pin" to save other gears and shafts inside the tranny. 

Poor design if you ask me.  There is a shear-pin on the brush cutters PTO shaft.

Super easy to change out.  UPS delivered the part Tuesday.   I installed it immediately and put the rough mower back on.  The marijuana around here was about 12 feet high and that stuff is super tough to cut. 

Tonight I was finishing up just after dark with the lights on and some of the plants caught the rear work light wire on the tractor.  My lights went real dim and when I looked down the wire was glowing red!  Very nearly caught the tractor on fire.  I killed the switch but it was melted inside and the lights stayed on. 

3 feet of wire and a new switch and I believe all will be OK. 

When I rewire it there will be a fuse in the line somewhere.  :wallbanging:

• MH81, hamman, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 10:06 PM

Wow that sucks. Nice old tractor there. Glad you caught the wire problem. Thanks for sharing with us.                                                                        Roger

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 10:08 PM

We did that years ago on our Farmall 706, we had just gotten our first discbine and our drawbar was too short, snapped the shaft off just inside the seal.  We extended the drawbar, ad haven't had any problems since.

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 10:42 PM

Glad it was an easy fix. The bend must've done more damage than you thought. Amazing it held for years.
I love old ferguson tractors. God Bless Harry, he really made things better for the farmers.
  • Gtractor, HANKG and propane1 have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Now that I have read this , mine will break on my Ferguson tractor probably tomorrow when I cut the grass.  Noel

• Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks