Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Deere 425 help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 05:21 PM

Where is the fuel pump ground on this tractor? Neighbors stopped working and I thought I would try something to help him.

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 05:30 PM

Looks like a stand alone unit or attached to the engine.  See the pic attached from jdparts.com

Attached Thumbnails

• MP12513________UN01JAN94-2.gif

• David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 05:37 PM

He says the pump is in the tank itself.

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 05:58 PM

Check the fuses under the dash right side if you have not done so already.I have a book and can look it up later on.It's supper time right now.

#5 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 06:02 PM

#12 in the pic is indeed the pump and the part number is AM115629.  I would guess the ground comes thru the wiring harness but cannot confirm that.  I wanted to get the pic for you before my meeting and got in a hurry.  Sorry about that.

Edited by Trav1s, August 19, 2015 - 06:03 PM.

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:23 PM

The ground comes with the positive wire from the front of the tractor.  There are 3 wires that hook to the pump assy..  One if for the tank level (Blk/Wh)  One is grey-  (Pump pos) and the other one is black (ground).

The wires run back to the Fuel pump relay on the power module circuit board that is behind the right cover under the steering wheel.  If it isn't working try cleaning the plugs that connect to that circuit board and check the 2 fuses installed there..

• Trav1s and David Brown have said thanks

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:42 PM

The ground comes with the positive wire from the front of the tractor.  There are 3 wires that hook to the pump assy..  One if for the tank level (Blk/Wh)  One is grey-  (Pump pos) and the other one is black (ground).

The wires run back to the Fuel pump relay on the power module circuit board that is behind the right cover under the steering wheel.  If it isn't working try cleaning the plugs that connect to that circuit board and check the 2 fuses installed there..

Ahh, it just clicked when you mentioned the circuit board with two fuses.  I saw that, just didn't do anything with it.  These green ones are far beyond my capabilities.  I didn't tell the guy I would work on it, nor is he expecting me to.  I was just playing around and figured if I lucked into a fix, it would save him some money.  I'll look at that board tomorrow and see what I find.  Thanks.

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 10:44 PM

Yep,those are the fuses I was talking about.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 04:36 AM

Well the guy said the last time this happened, it was the ground for the pump which is why I asked where that might be.  He just had it worked on a month ago so I doubt it would be that.  This seems to be a recurring problem with this tractor.  I often thought it would be nice to have one of these to mow with but after seeing what he goes through with his, I'm not so sure.  Since I have no manual and no prior knowledge in the world of green, I elected to leave it sit until he decides what he wants to do with it.  As long as I can get the truck back in the garage before winter.

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 07:11 AM

If he wants to get rid if it I'll be in a long line of members to take it!!!

They are confusing to someone who hasn't worked on them or been exposed to them but in the service manual there is a detailed trouble shooting process to determine just what the problem is..  Also the nice thing about these is that the wires are numbered as well as color coded so it will be easy to find and test the wires,,  It may be the key module as well..  Do the dash lights come on with the key?  It may just be the pump itself..  The best way to check will be to remove the seat pan and test & the pump pigtail..  

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 07:41 AM

As complicated as they seem,they are actually a very reliable and very capable  tractor.

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 07:52 AM

As complicated as they seem,they are actually a very reliable and very capable  tractor.

Maybe, but I'm not sold on the reliable thing, just going from what I've witnessed over the years.  Capable, yes.  That thing can eat a lot of grass.  I have rescued this thing numerous times with my tractors that always seem to be running and working with minimal care.  May have to chuck it up to the owner or the work it performs.  Heck, the second year he had it he had to have the whole mower deck rebuilt.  Still wouldn't mind having one someday to mow with but my little Wheelhorse just keeps plugging.

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 10:08 AM

That tractor is definitely the exception and not the rule with my experiences with these tractor.I have been servicing a friends 445 since it was new and with 12xx hours have replaced a coil pack,valve cover gaskets,broken engine mount,deck wheels and a deck belt.

How many hours on this one?

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 10:54 AM

This one has around 900 hours on it. I did get the pump running and took it back over to him this morning. All I did was take the two fuses out, wipe them off and put them back in. He said he's done that before. Good to know now. Anyway, I would think there has to be an underlying problem here.

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 01:13 PM

Does he wash the tractor?  Water on that circuit board makes thing go wonky..  Tell him to leave that area alone with the water.  Also he could coat the connections with dielectric grease to keep things corrosion free

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, August 20, 2015 - 01:26 PM.