LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:42 AM

I found this in a collection of jokes. I don't think it is a joke, so I put it here.

Paul Harvey wrote:

We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better. I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover
meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated. I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car. And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old dog put to sleep. I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in, I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother. And it's all right if you have to draw a line
down the middle of the room, but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you, let him.

When you want to see a movie and your little brother! Wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him. I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely. On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't
ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one. I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head. I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole. I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it. And if a friend! offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend!

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Granddad and go fishing with your Uncle. May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays. I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a
baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you-tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, its the only way to appreciate life.

Send this to all of your friends who mean the most to you. We secure our friends not by accepting favors but by doing them.

Paul Harvey...GOOD DAY

• DH1, rustyoldjunk, daytime dave and 21 others have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:46 AM

Who's Paul harvey?
  • hamman, WNYTractorTinkerer and Marty'70 have said thanks

#3 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:57 AM

Pancakes made over a coal or wood fired stove was my reward.
  • rustyoldjunk, hamman and Lmiller3358 have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:24 AM

I try to make my kids grow up learning things mentioned in this article. 

Paul Harvey had many insightful things to say.  I used to listen to some of his radio broadcasts on AM radio.

There is one floating around where he "predicts" the future.  His observations and thoughts sometimes in the 60s.  It was actually pretty accurate and scary.  You can find it on your own.  Don't want to start a political discussion.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 19, 2015 - 09:31 AM.

• rustyoldjunk, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#5 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Am radio is becoming popular again playing pre hard rock tunes and just basic short news segments .
  • rustyoldjunk, hamman, Lmiller3358 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:47 AM

My great grandma used to bath in the same bath water as her 10 brothers and sisters used.

• hamman, Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:52 AM

I miss Paul Harvey !!  He was a fresh breath every day when he broadcast the news. He reported the news and and told you about what was going in in the world and our country. He very seldom ever tried to skew the news or a story. He told it like it was. He was a very passionate man about the hardworking man and woman in America. He was passionate about the youth of America. He was very passionate about America and loved our country and the hard work it took to make America great.  He cared about family, God and Country.  I miss Paul Harvey, now more than ever. Thank you Mr. Harvey, I learned a lot about our country and how to care about others from you.        

Thanks for posting that. My son gave me a huge set of Paul Harvey " The Rest Of The Story " CDs for Christmas one year. We take them camping and on road trips. I still haven't listened to all of them.                                                                                                                                                                   Roger

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 10:00 AM

Paul Harvey. One smart man.

• rustyoldjunk, hamman, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#9 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 10:23 AM

Who's Paul harvey?

A great American, philosopher, and radio broadcaster.

Dodge used part of a speech he made to the Future Farmers of America in 1978 for their 2013 Superbowl commercial.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZRDaPEaDJ7E

• rustyoldjunk, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#10 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,657 Thanks
  • 1,740 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 11:11 AM

:thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:       PAUL HARVEY     :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

• hamman, KennyP, Lmiller3358 and 1 other said thanks

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Who's Paul harvey?

Kids these days

• hamman, Lmiller3358, toomanytoys84 and 2 others have said thanks

#12 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 11:59 AM

I miss his broadcasts,,, used to tune in everyday for many years and a lot of times go out my way just the catch the noon time broadcast,,,being on the road most of the time,I think I knew every radio station that carried him on the east coast

• hamman, KennyP and cootertom have said thanks

#13 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 12:05 PM

I worked at a place in the 80's that listened to him religiously on the radio. I was a pup. Never know of him before that. Never forget him after. A true American, imo.

• hamman, KennyP, Lmiller3358 and 2 others have said thanks

#14 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 01:03 PM

This is Paul Harvey, good day!

• hamman, Lmiller3358, KC9KAS and 1 other said thanks

#15 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Who's Paul harvey?

I guess I am getting old.. Never thought I'd hear someone say that... I don't know if there is a place to listen to his recordings, but if you can find them just listen. Listen carefully and with your heart and mind. You wouldn't believe what kind of insight you will find.

My great grandma used to bath in the same bath water as her 10 brothers and sisters used.

My mom told me about doing the same. Only it was with 3 of 5. 2 were already out of the house.

This is Paul Harvey, good day!

I wish you could have typed the inflection he put on "good"

Edited by Marty'70, August 19, 2015 - 06:21 PM.

• hamman, KennyP and Lmiller3358 have said thanks