• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 weekend_cutter OFFLINE  

weekend_cutter
  • Member No: 71091
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Hi guys. I need some pictures of how a G-10 lift handle is set up to pick up a mower deck. I have my deck from a G-10 on my 1054 but can't raise or lower it. Any help is greatly appreciated
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 07:54 AM

I have a deck on my 1053 that is the same way.  Front lifts about an inch and that's it.  Haven't found anything to help get it set up right.  good luck with yours.

#3 weekend_cutter OFFLINE  

weekend_cutter
  • Member No: 71091
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 02:54 PM

I have a deck on my 1053 that is the same way. Front lifts about an inch and that's it. Haven't found anything to help get it set up right. good luck with yours.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue

#4 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 05:20 PM

Can you post a few pictures of your lift set up? Bolens used a number of different deck lift setups. I could be that you are trying to use parts from one set up to another.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 10:04 AM

Got some photos of my deck and lifting brackets.  The last photo is with the lift lever at full lift position.  The previous photos are at lowered or just making contact with the lift pins on the brackets.

This is the left side of the set up with deck lowered.Deck lift-1.JPG

These are all of the right side:     Deck Lift-2.JPG     Deck Lift-3.JPG

Deck Lift-4.JPG        Deck Lift-5.JPG   

I bought this tractor, deck and a front blade as a package at an auction. 

Edited by chieffan, August 21, 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#6 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 07:01 PM

I have the factory correct deck on my 1054 and the lift linkage is very different from what is in your pictures. Even the points where it hangs off the tractor frame are not the same.  If you removed the brackets and links from the deck and made new ones at least closer to originals it would probably work, but you may be trying to keep the deck original. I can take pictures of mine if that will help. I  should mention that I have the rear guide wheels on mine as low as they will go (ie tallest cutting height) and at full lift on a level concrete floor the wheels are only 1/2" off the floor.

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 07:13 PM

I have the factory correct deck on my 1054 and the lift linkage is very different from what is in your pictures. Even the points where it hangs off the tractor frame are not the same.  If you removed the brackets and links from the deck and made new ones at least closer to originals it would probably work, but you may be trying to keep the deck original. I can take pictures of mine if that will help. I  should mention that I have the rear guide wheels on mine as low as they will go (ie tallest cutting height) and at full lift on a level concrete floor the wheels are only 1/2" off the floor.

Some photos of your set up would be great.  I also have a green deck with completely different lift system but don't have the brackets for the tractor.  don't know how that one is to work either.  My wheels do not come off the ground and the front will only lift 1" max.  I leave the lift lever a full lift and it still cuts as short as I want to go.

#8 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 10:23 PM

I am heading out in the morning to go look at a tiller for it. I will be about 4 hrs each way, so I won't be able to get the pictures till tomorrow afternoon sometime. I will need to remove the deck to mount up the tiller anyway (assuming I buy it), so detailed pictures will not be a problem. Your deck looks similar to mine, just not the linkage setup.

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 09:13 AM

I'm not sure if these manuals will help any of you guys, but check them out.

http://www.mytractor...8421-0_deck.pdf

http://www.mytractor...420-01_deck.pdf

There are many different styles of deck mountings on Bolens tube-frame tractors. 

If you know the model of the deck that helps.  ...If not, the (original) color of the deck and the cutting width helps to narrow down what you have.

Clear pics of the linkage parts and mower deck can help sort things out.

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 04:04 PM

Those both look very similar to what I have.  Model on my deck is 18422-01.  Would have to compare photos side by side to tell if there is any difference or not.

I have the 18521-01 manual as that is the closest I could come to my deck.  Thanks for posting those links.

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 05:06 PM

Here is a link to the parts list for the 18422-01 mower:

http://gardentractor...wer-parts-list/

#12 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 11:23 PM

Got some photos of my deck and lifting brackets.  The last photo is with the lift lever at full lift position.  The previous photos are at lowered or just making contact with the lift pins on the brackets.

This is the left side of the set up with deck lowered.attachicon.gifDeck lift-1.JPG

These are all of the right side:     attachicon.gifDeck Lift-2.JPG    attachicon.gifDeck Lift-3.JPG

attachicon.gifDeck Lift-4.JPG       attachicon.gifDeck Lift-5.JPG  

I bought this tractor, deck and a front blade as a package at an auction. 

Here's what I see wrong, but I'm not sure it will solve your problem.

(1) The two L-shaped brackets that bolt to the rear of the deck should be switched side-to-side so that the pins face inward.

(2) The curved link attached to the lift lever should be turned end-for-end, so that the "one-hole end" is attached to the lift lever.  ...Gear-drive tractors get the inner hole of the other end attached to the lift arm.  ,,,Hydromatic tractors get the outer hole attached to the lift arm. 

(3)  The bracket showing the #171451x number in your pics is not used for your model 18422 mower.

I have found some additional paperwork for the 18422-01 and I uploaded it to here:

http://gardentractor...otary-mower-42/

This info shows some of the dimensions which need to be checked to get proper operation of the lift linkage.  ....Look at the info closely and read the text. 

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, August 23, 2015 - 08:46 AM.

• chieffan and 29 Chev have said thanks

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 02:01 AM

Thanks much for the manuals and advise.  That bracket #171451X is just hanging there and is part of the lift assist when I have the snow caster on.  It don't get in the way of anything so didn't take it off.

In item #1 above you mentioned the two L shaped bracket need to be switched side to side.  Are you talking about the rear brackets bolted to the deck, or the ones bolted to the tractor frame?  I'm thinking your referring to the deck brackets.

Thanks much.  Rog

Edited by chieffan, August 23, 2015 - 02:09 AM.

#14 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 08:45 AM

In item #1 above you mentioned the two L shaped bracket need to be switched side to side.  Are you talking about the rear brackets bolted to the deck, or the ones bolted to the tractor frame?  I'm thinking your referring to the deck brackets.

My post should have read:

(1) The two L-shaped brackets that bolt to the rear of the deck should be switched side-to-side so that the pins face inward.

Sorry about that !  :wallbanging:

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 09:08 AM

My post should have read:

(1) The two L-shaped brackets that bolt to the rear of the deck should be switched side-to-side so that the pins face inward.

Sorry about that !  :wallbanging:

I thought that is what you meant.  That deck has never been set up right then from day one, and probably why it hasn't been used much.

Turning those two brackets I don't think will change the lifting any as the lift point is still the same.  Will reverse the curved link and see what happens but the distance between the two holes will remain the same so doubt that will do much either.  Will get it up here to the shop later and see what I can come up with.  Have an H16 with the hydro out of it on the work table now and may be there a while.  Will try and have this one rebuilt or get a replacement.  Will let you know what I find out.  Thanks much for your help on this.  Hope this helps Weekend-cutter as well as he started this and I kind of jumped in the middle of his post.