FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 01:00 PM

Well, I just pulled the trigger on 1.5 pounds of Burpees stringless grean beans.

Burpees Stringless Green Pod Bean Seeds and Plants, Vegetable Gardening at Burpee.com

We can almost all our beans and I hope to plant enough to keep us until next spring! We shall see how this goes, it was a pretty good drop of cash on seeds, but cheaper than buying them per packet. (I hope) I debated on buying the $1.00 packets from Wal-Mart... and I may still buy some and compare, but to rest the whole crop on dollar seeds, well I hate to loose!

#2 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 01:37 PM

How big of a garden do you put in Lee?

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 01:48 PM

That a lot of beans. Yes, how large is your garden?

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 03:13 PM

Not all that big, it's just 25' x 50' for now. My main crop is the paste tomato & beans. I plan my beans in wide rows with four or five plants wide. This allows for a more stable row, and saves a ton of room. On top of that, there is more shade to keep the water in the ground. They claim that a 2 ounce packet will sow a 20' row, so there should be 8 packages per pound. I bought what should be 12 packets. That could be just three wide rows of 4 plants. We shall see just how it seems to "plant out" and if it was worth buying them this way. I hate buying seed at places like Wal-Mart, and had very bad luck with seed at TSC last year. I hope they are guessing low on the sowing, because with shipping, I am not sure if I came out ahead buying bulk like this. We shall see, live and learn!

I may not get this done this year, but I plan to run a 24" deep raised bed along with length of my garden fence with a wide gate / arbor in the center. This will be three 24" x 6' beds with a 24" x 24" bed on each end, and one at each side of the arbor. The 24" x 24" beds may be a bit higher (2 boards high over the other 1 board high beds) These raised beds will be places for stuff like herbs and stuff like my prized rhubarb patch (I want to transplant it all over to one of the 6' beds) Other 6 foot beds will have things like carrots, lettuce, and other "small crops" that I want to grow for use, and not canning.

I have a total of 5 children in my home (4 of my own, and we are foster parents for children 2 and under. Right now we have a great little boy who is 13 months, and we got him when he was just 6 months) So, we do tend to go through a lot of food! Being able to can the beans, and my spaghetti sauce, and have all the other stuff from the garden is great! We are also on our second flock of chickens, I have 8 new chicks in a brooder out in my shop. In a week or two, they are going out in the coop!

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 03:33 PM

Sounds like you are going to havea nice garden!! We have always planted bush beans, but Jo says she wants to try pole beans this year.
We only have the wife and I, my daughter and two grandaughters in the house now.
But your right it takes a lot of food! I am sure we are far from done buying seed, but I leave that up to the wife to decide.
My parents and 3 of my 5 brothers and 1 sister all live in the same town so we always share any extra..
I think it will be dry enough to start tilling tomorrow? The wife wants to start with a 25 X25 patch and I need to get some ground ready when the rasberries arrive. I have 8+ acres so I can open up as much as she wants to care for. She said she wanted to plant a lot of separate patches instead of one big garden. I used to have a 60 X120 patch so this will be a litle different.

#6 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 03:52 PM

Sounds like you are going to have a nice garden!!

+1! Sounds great!

We have always planted bush beans, but Jo says she wants to try pole beans this year.

We did pole beans last year. It was a real space-saver!

Lee - We used to grow pumpkins (around 1000 plants per year) and we had pretty good luck with Harris seeds: Vegetables Seeds, Flower Seeds, Plants, Bulbs, & Garden Supplies | Harris Seeds

I buy most of our veggie garden seeds at our local farmers co-op as we don't grow enough to justify buying in bulk.

Kudos to you and your wife for being a foster parent; that takes a special person!

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 04:39 PM

I have done the pole beans, but between setting up a trellis (and more than one) and digging through the vines to find them, I find the poles a lot easier to work with. I think you wife has a good idea, smaller gardens are easy to dedicate to one thing. I could see a 25' x 25' tomato and another for beans.

Last year we did corn, and it was a bust. We were hit by corn borers, bad seed, and the yield was just poor for the 1/3 of a garden it took up. Like I have said, I am planting a small form of "three sister" planting in with out pumpkins & butternut. I may toss some pole beans in there just to see how it goes. The corn is that Indian corn though, just for looks.

I will have to take a look at Harris too. Last year was the first year I started tomatoes from seed and it save quite a bit. I just put my tomatoes under the lights in the shop, and most of them are a good 1" tall now. (No signs of Tomatillo's though) My peppers have yet to sprout, but I hear they take longer. I am worries about how much moisture is in the planter with the lid and added heat... I hope they make it, I am looking forward to those Tangerine Dreams!

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 07:07 PM

Sounds like your going to have a great garden area with the raised beds too. I'm just trying raised bed myself , really only the 2nd year so I'm still trying to figure out the best way to make them work for me . The local farm store near me carries Roher Seeds , they don't carry every seed variety but any seeds I want they put them on their next stock order , this way I don't have to pay shipping which can get $$$ pretty quick. Maybe you can find a farm store near you that does something like that with the seed brand the carry , Al
Garden Seed, Vegetable Seed, & Flower Seed | Quality Rohrer Seeds since 1919!

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 07:12 PM

Yeah the sweet corn has me a little aprehensive this year. The new place has a small drainage ditch through it.
A creek 1/2 milw west and another 1/2 mile south, I'm afraid Racooons will get the sweetcorn