Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 06:23 PM

I bought an Ariens GT18 tractor with a 42 inch mower earlier this year.  The previous owner did some "jury rigging"--most of which I corrected soon after I got it.

One thing I wasn't aware of, though was that the U-joint yoke on tractor side of the mower drive shaft isn't a collar type quick connect.  It has a hole bored crosswise to, and off center of the shaft. It looks like the same setup used on a full sized rear PTO--you press a spring loaded button and the lock pin slides to a cutaway section that allows you to pull the shaft off.

In this case, the button isn't there, and the owner resorted to peening the end of the PTO shaft with a hammer to keep the yoke from slipping off----Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

I managed to clean up the shaft with a Dremel enough to get the yoke off, but now I'm not sure how to hold the yoke on the PTO shaft.  The cross hole in the yoke is .200"--to big for 3/16" and too small for 1/4".  It's also drilled fairly close to the outer diameter, so drilling it out for a 1/4 inch pin may cause it to break out.

IMG_20150818_173704_982.jpg   IMG_20150818_173713_454.jpg

IMG_20150818_173738_237.jpg

Has anyone seen a setup like this??? 

No regular bolts or roll pins will work to hold it on... would a snug cotter pin work? ??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, August 21, 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#2 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 42 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 06:47 PM

A cotter pin will work fine!  

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 07:26 PM

I use a hair pin type. It isn't tight in the hole, but tough enough that I like to use a hammer to get it set.

#4 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:51 AM

They used to sell a large hair pin for that, which went through the hole and over the yoke.

033(6).jpghttp://www.savedfrom...NE-OEM-2615.htm

I've used a #10 bolt and a nylock nut. which is what they now sell for that app Ariens 53126000 Shaft Retention Kit

• Alc, Utah Smitty and shorty have said thanks

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I wondered if a #10 would fit in it, but didn't take a calipers with me when I was at the hardware store.  I was also worried about the bolt being too soft and the getting bent in the bore so it was a bear to get out...

Regards,

Smitty

#6 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 02:40 AM

Crap! All these years (decades, actually) I have been screwing with that hair pin and I could have used a bolt.
  • Wm McNett said thank you

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 10:50 PM

Well, I got to thinking--I'm going for neck fusion and rotator cuff surgery soon, and it may be hard to screw a nut on a bolt and tighten it down while lying on the ground, even after I heal up...

So, I took a piece of cattle panel that I'd cut off, and turned it down to .195 on my lathe, then drilled the end and made a cotter key of stainless steel mechanic's wire... should work great...

Smitty

IMG_20150820_201410_894.jpg

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 10:53 PM

Next question:

How do I level the front of the mower deck?  When I lower the deck, the front goes all the way down, but the rollers at the back hold the back up.  There's a ski-type skid on each front corner and a center skid, but no roller on the front of the deck to adjust.

There's also no guage or pointer to tell me relative deck height, so I can return to the same height if I have to raise it to go over something...

I've tried tightening the chain at the rear of the tractor, but I can't see that it made any difference?

Any suggestions?????

Smitty

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 11:08 PM

The chain is a lift assist. To help the deck float. On the top side of the deck there should be a threaded rod. Going from rear roller assembly to a point on the front arms. Tightening this rod will level the deck front to back. Once that is adjusted, the front will follow the roller setting. I usually let the deck down on the rollers to mow. That is how I maintain the height.

#10 Tdrvr69 OFFLINE  

Tdrvr69
  • Member No: 84872
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 03:40 PM

I use a machine screw with a couple of nuts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens, gt18, ariens mower