I was mowing last weekend with my DGT 1700 and thought wow this thing is really running smooth. I looked down and noticed that the deck spindles just stopped spinning. I did a quick test of the clutch by plugging in a clutch from a Briggs L Head engine and that one worked so I knew the DGT 1700 wiring was ok.
I proceeded to remove the clutch. It took an hour to remove it by the time I got the hood, bumper, exhaust and belts off the tractor. Kind of a big job for just a clutch. Anyway I was lucky enough to get the clutch apart and remove the wound coil.
I called Frank Gonsalves who lives 2 miles from me. He knows these clutches inside out. He invited me over to have a look. As it turns out he had what I needed. He also was very helpful with information, contacts for places that wind the coils and sell parts. I ended up visiting him twice on Saturday to get this done. He's a great guy willing to help folks with clutch issues. So I got the clutch assembled and back onto the tractor on Sunday morning. I took it out for a test ride and it worked great.
I have attached some pictures of the job. Going from left to right is the pieces of the clutch as it would go back together should anyone ever need to do this. The picture on the left would be the bottom, to the right the pieces will stack up onto each other until the entire clutch is complete.
For anyone with issues with the clutches on Eliminators, Durtrac, JD and any other small tractor don't hesitate to contact Frank. He advertises on craigslist as well http://nh.craigslist...5162349735.html