4 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 11:50 AM

I was mowing last weekend with my DGT 1700 and thought wow this thing is really running smooth.  I looked down and noticed that the deck spindles just stopped spinning. I did a quick test of the clutch by plugging in a clutch from a Briggs L Head engine and that one worked so I knew the DGT 1700 wiring was ok. 

I proceeded to remove the clutch. It took an hour to remove it by the time I got the hood, bumper, exhaust and belts off the tractor. Kind of a big job for just a clutch. Anyway I was lucky enough to get the clutch apart and remove the wound coil.

I called Frank Gonsalves who lives 2 miles from me. He knows these clutches inside out. He invited me over to have a look. As it turns out he had what I needed. He also was very helpful with information, contacts for places that wind the coils and sell parts. I ended up visiting him twice on Saturday to get this done. He's a great guy willing to help folks with clutch issues.  So I got the clutch assembled and back onto the tractor on Sunday morning. I took it out for a test ride and it worked great. 

I have attached some pictures of the job. Going from left to right is the pieces of the clutch as it would go back together should anyone ever need to do this. The picture on the left would be the bottom, to the right the pieces will stack up onto each other until the entire clutch is complete. 

For anyone with issues with the clutches on Eliminators, Durtrac, JD and any other small tractor don't hesitate to contact Frank. He advertises on craigslist as well http://nh.craigslist...5162349735.html

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09721.JPG
  • DSC09722.JPG
  • DSC09723.JPG
  • DSC09724.JPG
  • DSC09725.JPG
  • DSC09727.JPG

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 05:44 PM

I'll add this if it's an Ogura clutch and you had issues with the field coil , while you have it down replace the bearing in the clutch. They are JUNK !
Took two new coils and a complete NOS one, before I did some research and the guy (who I believe is up in the northeast) that rewinds field coils told me about changing out the bearing it drags when it gets hot and adds to the heat problem this set up suffers from originally,has proved to be good advice.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, August 19, 2015 - 04:43 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Husky, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 06:42 AM

Yes it is an Orgua clutch. We checked the bearing and it was solid but never gave it a thought that it could heat up and cause issues. I never changed out the bearing now wish that I did. They went so far as to mount the clutch 2" from the muffler. It must get hot in there. 

#4 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 07:27 PM

Sorry Ed , should of read your post thoroughly and I wouldn't of mentioned it, instead of the 'now you tell me' moment. My Durtrac came dangerously close to me succumbing to ill thoughts towards it last summer as it smoked it's 3rd !! field coil which was part of a NOS complete clutch system. Don't use it anymore got it out to remow front lawn after several weeks of growth due to inclement mowing weather, the GRS is the mother of all mulchers IMO, bagger? who needs a bagger? Anyways I notice the tell-take glow off the battery idiot light followed by the kiss it frigging goodbye smoke and the final death throes,the blown 20amp fuse.

So screw the POS , I envisioned a gas leak and a match, a faulty parking brake and the steep bank, a quickie saw... you get it. Instead I pushed it to the back of the garage , put the battery tender on it shut off the gas , covered and forgot it.

Every now and then i'd think about it get pissed, all the money in clutch parts, wrapping the muffler in heat tape, place the high priced ' NASA tested and approved' DEI heat shield material between the block and clutch, the fire blanket material 'NHRA approved for transmission tunnel fire/heat wrap' between the muffler and heat shield ,etc. and on and on. More I thought about more pissed I got, I had also previously dumped the 60" deck that came on it and bought a NOS 48" thinking ( which I still do) 60" to much deck for the tractor.

As I've stated before I bought it new, has a little over 400 hrs on and has been replaced first by a Simplicity Legacy XL , which when I put a FEL on it, was relieved of its mowing duties by a Simplicity Citation zero turn in IMO only way to mow a lot of grass.

So last month I uncovered the PITA , disconnected the tender, turned on the gas and cranked , cranked some more and it fired rite up, let it warm up, drove it outside , threw the PTO switch and.. and.. nothing, SOB it hadn't fixed itself.So I remember reading about the rewinding field coils service, ebay, CL someplace , find it , inquire, lament my woes to a very patient listener (probably thinking ' you want a coil or what') anyways he asked you ever check the bearing ? Absolutely hey this last one was NOS and didn't have much over 150 hrs on it. That's when he schooled me up on Ogura junk bearings!

So as I thought 'why didn't I think of that' instead of this POS is junk, seriously badly engineered, design flaw, SNAFU'D and so on, I decided after all this I would tear it down as you describe (again) and give it a new coil, bearing and one more chance. May the Oruga curse of the bad bearing never darken the door your DGT 1700 resides.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, August 19, 2015 - 08:29 PM.

• Husky, blackjackjakexxix and Paulgo have said thanks

#5 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 06:36 AM

Wow, I Iove your narrative that is great. This tractor has 562 hours on it so that clutch died and early death. There was no smoke of funny business it just stopped working 1/2 way through cutting the grass. I now wonder if that bearing is bad. It was nice and tight when we looked at it but maybe it will still heat up who knows. I wish Bolens would have stayed with the mechanical idler and belt pto system. It was much better and put a lot less stress on the entire system at pto engagement time. I do love the DGT 1700 other than the clutch it is an awesome machine. Best of luck with your last chance clutch  project. I hope that it solves the problem for you. 

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks