• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Howdy guys and gals.  I figured that I would give y'all a heads up. We are planning a fall plow day at the new farm.  I dont have an exact date yet but it is going to be late October or Early November.  The land is currently planted in cotton and will depend on when he can get the cotton harvested and then get it bushhogged.  There is about 35 acres that can be plowed.  Most of it is black sandy looking soil but there is a section that is a red sandy clay.  It was deep ripped last fall before planting wheat on it and then disked this Spring before planting the cotton.  Should be good plowing.

There are several major hotel chains within 7 miles of the property and several restaurants within 10 miles.  As it gets closer to time, I will pin down the date.

Hope to see a lot of you plowing with us on my new property.  I am hoping that this will become an anuall event.

Thanks

Robert

"Rodan Farms"

• KennyP, shorty, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Cub 1650 OFFLINE  

Cub 1650

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 975
  • 105 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 06:28 AM

Robert we are looking forward to it.

#3 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 04:43 AM

I am going to plan on having the plow day the weekend of November 6-7th.  The cotton looks like it should be ready before then so it shouldnt be a problem.  I am going to start checking with the local hotels to see what kind of discount rates that I can get. There is plenty of room for parking and for those of you that would like to "camp out" on the property, that shouldnt be a problem either. Depending on how many tractors that we have show up, we will probably start with the smaller fields in the back (about 12-15 acres) If we have a big enough turnout, we will do the larger field and then do the smaller fields as time allows.

Look forward to seeing everyone!

Rodan Farms

Edited by Robert Webb, September 09, 2015 - 04:51 AM.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 06:18 AM

Wish I were closer! Looks like there is plenty of ground there!

#5 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 12:17 PM

The plow day is OFFICIALLY ON!  they are harvesting the cotton this week!  I will post all the details as soon as I have time to sit down and type it all out........lol

#6 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:25 PM

OK, here are the details.......Friday 11/6 and Sat 11/7

.......The address is 182 County Road 502, Verbena AL.  I will be there from about noon on Friday afternoon.  There is a Days Inn and a Key West Inn in Clanton (7 miles away) that have rooms for about $50 a night. IF you are staying at one of these, it is actually CHEAPER to book online than just walking in the door.  I called and tried to get a "Group Rate" and they quoted me a price that was more than the online price........GRRR  There is a group of us that are going to eat Friday night at "Cattleman's Steakhouse" in Clanton about 7pm.  We will do some plowing Friday afternoon but most of the plowing will be done Saturday.  If anyone needs any more information, you can call me @ 205-612-0839. 

This did pick the cotton and bush hog the stalks Tues or Wed of last week.  I walked the field a little bit Friday afternoon and it looks pretty good.  All of the rain that we are getting this week should make it even better because it was pretty darn dry last week.

Edited by olcowhand, October 27, 2015 - 06:59 PM.

• Cub 1650 said thank you

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:42 PM

So is this being held on Friday Oct 30 and Saturday Oct 31st?

#8 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 06:57 PM

No,,,,,,Friday 11/6 and Sat 11/7

#9 Oak OFFLINE  

Oak

• Member No: 5131
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 08:44 AM

I'll be loading the Cubbies up Friday morning and pulling out around noon if work doesn't screw that up. Sounds like steak for dinner too...yummy!

#10 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:29 PM

I have been worried about all of the rain that we have been getting and it messing up the plow day but I went down to the farm this afternoon and walked one of the feilds. There is enough sand in the soil that it is pretty much just soaking in. I was able to stick a shovel all the way in the ground with just a little bit of pressure from my foot. The rain is supposed to move out tomorrow and then we have a 30% chance Friday and a 35% chance Saturday. I am not looking for any issues from the rain unless it comes a torrential downpour.  The fields have enough slope to them that the even a heavy down pour will probably just run off and not cause any issues.  I am going to go down Thursday afternoon and take a look around just to make sure that we are good to go. I would hate for some of you to make the drive and not be able to plow.  Been there and done that........no fun! I will post my findings Thursday night and make the final decision then.  Looking forward to finally getting a plow in the ground because it has been a LONG time since I have been able to do any plowing. Heck I havent even been on my tractor since Spring other than my grass machine.

Anyone other than Oak planning to join us?

• KennyP said thank you

#11 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 04:06 PM

Well, the first annual Rodan Farms Plow day is in the books.  Not exactly the weather that I had hoped for and attendance was lacking because of the forecast but we still go the field plowed and had some fun at the same time.  Jim Brown came up Friday afternoon and he and I plowed for about an hour or so before we got rained on. We stood under the trees and talked for a while as we waited for it to let enough for us to load up. We called it a night but I was back at about 6:30 Saturday morning. We had a good bit of rain Friday night and I was afraid that it was going to stop us from plowing but the ground was GREAT.  Daniel Pike drove up Saturday morning along with my youngest brother Lee. I told Daniel that I would call him Saturday morning with a field update before he left so that it wouldnt be a wasted trip if the ground was too wet but that wasnt the case.  All total we only plowed about 4-5 acres but with only 4 tractors in the field before we got rained out about 3:30, I think we did a pretty good job.  The only real issue that we had was all of the cotton stalks that were left from where they cut the field after harvesting.  The Bushhog left the stalks windrowed (rows about 6' wide) in the field about every 10-15 feet and it was causing issues with the stalks clogging the plows. The coulters couldnt cut the stalks.  Oh well, we suffered through a few passes with the trash and then we could plow nice clean ground for about a dozen passes. One of those things that I will have to work out next year if they replant in cotton.  When I talked to the farmer a couple of weeks ago, he was still undecided if he was going to plant soybeans or replant cotton.  They should be planting winter wheat in the next week or so as a cover crop.

I am already looking forward to plowing some more in the Spring and next Fall's event.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Sorry the weather caused issues!  If I were closer, I'd have tried plowing with you guys!

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 06:07 PM

I want to be able to make the trip down some day to plow southern fields of Rodan Farms!  Just wasn't in the cards for me this year.

Glad you guys got to plow even with a small crowd.  With the forecast you had, you did pretty good! 

#14 Oak OFFLINE  

Oak

• Member No: 5131
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 05:08 PM

Robert, we got so much rain up here in north Georgia I didn't think there would be any way to plow but I guess a few hours away makes a huge difference. Now I'm sorry I didn't go. Oh well, keep us posted on the next one. Thanks again.

#15 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 06:29 PM

No hard feelings........heck I live here and I was scared to make the 30 minute drive to the plow field...........lol   That is why I stayed with Dana last weekend........she is only 12 miles from the property and the weather is pretty much the same at her place as it is at the field.  lol