16 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 07:22 PM

I downloaded and installed Thunderbird Mail.  Did the import bit.  Have it running along with Live Mail.  I get new messages on Live Mail but not on T-bird.  WHY ?

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Because you still have live mail as your default or primary. I think you have to go through your control panel to get to it.

• superaben and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 09:20 PM

In other words I cannot get messages on both at the same time?  How am I to know if it is working and receiving messages if I don't have Live Mail to compare it to ? ?

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 09:47 PM

I use T-bird but don't have a clue about live mail.I use an email server through the ISP to receive my mail. I can set T-bird to download my messages and leave them on the ISP or download the messages and erase them from the ISP. I can also view my emai on the ISP through their webmail service. You can also set it as to how often it downloads. If live mail is checking before T-Bird and not leaving the mail on the server then there is nothing for T/bird when it checks.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 10:00 AM

Apparently all these setting things have to be done when the program is installed.  T-bird help had nothing on how to change it with windows 7.  It is still referring to the older version like XP.

I found no place in the control panel to change any of the programs, just reorganize or uninstall.  I found nothing in the stupid live mail to change settings, etc. either.  Just internet access through the ISP, etc.  Good O'l W7 & live Mail has everything tied back to Microsoft Office and all of those things.  When ever I try to make any change of any kind I get brought to Microsoft Office Outlook and wants to set up a profile or something like that.  Not what I want to do.

I can set T-bird to download my messages and leave them on the ISP or download the messages and erase them from the ISP. I can also view my emai on the ISP through their webmail service. You can also set it as to how often it downloads. If live mail is checking before T-Bird and not leaving the mail on the server then there is nothing for T/bird when it checks.

How do you set anything on T-bird?  All done when it is installed?  My email come from the ISP - @gmail.com  .The messages show up on Live Mail and they must have that rigged so nothing can be changed on it to force one to use it their way.

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 10:10 AM

I used to have a '66 T-Bird!

• chieffan said thank you

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 10:12 AM

How do you set anything on T-bird?  All done when it is installed?  My email come from the ISP - @gmail.com  .The messages show up on Live Mail and they must have that rigged so nothing can be changed on it to force one to use it their way.

In T-bird, click on tools. At the bottom there is account settings and options. There are several parts to both. That is where you will find what you need to set it up. From the control panel, I think it is personalization? This AM I can't remember how to get control panel on this windows 8 machine. I hate it too but am learning to work it. I think I'm going to go with 10 but I suppose that's another learning curve.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 10:22 AM

Where is 'tools' hid at?  There is no 'tools' on my screen that I can find in T-bird.

Personalization had changes to the screen setting only, like background, contrast, photo, etc.

Edited by chieffan, August 17, 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 10:35 AM

I used to have a '66 T-Bird!

Be nice to have it back again too.  Just stay away from this T-bird if you don't want a lot of headaches.  What the hell ever happened to KISMIF ???  (Keep It Simple, Make It Fun )

Edited by chieffan, August 17, 2015 - 10:51 AM.

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 11:58 AM

Under inbox mine shows a line of options for file-edit-view-go-messages-tools-help

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 12:54 PM

I have two INBOX shown.  One is under my email address at the top.  Then under local folders is another in box.  The one under my email address shows the email as they come in.  The lower INBOX has nothing.

I wonder if we are using 2 different versions of T-bird.  The one I downloaded, so they say is version 38.1.0 updated July 13, 2015.  Those software people can never leave well enough alone.  They have to keep changing things just to keep us totally confused.

If I right click on the lower INBOX, the bottom listing has settings.  Went to that and had server settings, various things to do with that folder, etc.  Nothing there about default program or anything along those lines.

Right click the upper INBOX and I get a similar list of options dealing with new window, new folder, etc.  Nothing there either ref: to default settings.

Edited by chieffan, August 17, 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 01:10 PM

I use T-bird but don't have a clue about live mail.I use an email server through the ISP to receive my mail. I can set T-bird to download my messages and leave them on the ISP or download the messages and erase them from the ISP. I can also view my emai on the ISP through their webmail service. You can also set it as to how often it downloads. If live mail is checking before T-Bird and not leaving the mail on the server then there is nothing for T/bird when it checks.

I use T-bird the very same way.

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 02:41 PM

GREAT !  But how do I get those setting so mine will work at all, that is the question.

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 02:51 PM

The settings under tools on T-bird are to make sure it is looking at the right mailbox to download and send mail through. The settings for default are through the control panel somewhere but haven't had time to look. Can you disable live mail and get tbird to work? You can always go to google and check the mail on the web to see if its working.

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 03:26 PM

I think I finally got it figured out, with a lot of help.  In T-bird I still did not find anything related to "tools".  It is hid some place or non existent on this version.

When I opened up a new tab in W7, I typed in Thunderbird Mail.  A drop down with three selections with one being Make T-bird be your default email.  I clicked on it.  Ended up at a help type site with instructions for W7.

Got to START, and select DEFAULT PROGRAMS which is the third up from the bottom on the right side of the window. From there on it was simple.  How I overlooked that all the time is beyond me as I kept wanting to go to the control panel, like I always have for the last up teen years.  I think I am getting all my mail in T-bird now.  Will know more tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch for all the advise and help from you guys.  My patience is about as long as a sneeze any more.  Used it all up in the last 75 years I guess.  Hopefully this is a done deal.  But I still don't think much of W7 but at least I am through with that stupid Live Mail.

• olcowhand and DougT have said thanks