DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 07:40 PM

One of the best pretty much all inclusive site with info on the older classic Ford tractors is, www.oldfordtractors.com
Or do a search for Smiths old Ford Tractors. I covet his Select-o-Speed custom mower, but would prefer a rear mount mower instead of belly unit.

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/

Tells you all you want to know about old Ford tractors.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#32 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 07:46 PM

Having been around finish mowers, brush hog mowers and flail mowers I like flails as a good all around mower.  While a brush hog mower can stand up to some rocks, if you chip or bend the blade then you have to replace the whole blade, while with a flail the blades are smaller, and tend to skip over the rocks better, plus your only replacing just the blades that are bad and not losing a 12" to 18" blade just because of a few bad spots.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#33 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 10:24 PM

Having been around finish mowers, brush hog mowers and flail mowers I like flails as a good all around mower.  While a brush hog mower can stand up to some rocks, if you chip or bend the blade then you have to replace the whole blade, while with a flail the blades are smaller, and tend to skip over the rocks better, plus your only replacing just the blades that are bad and not losing a 12" to 18" blade just because of a few bad spots.

The reason I have not yet bought a finish mower is because I really want a flail.
Rotary mowers can launch an unseen object, making it a hazard.
A flail is much more likely to drive it in the ground, thus being safer.
Flail will do a nice finish mow or rough cat as well.

#34 PetesPonies OFFLINE  

PetesPonies

• Member No: 7718
  • 32 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 09:11 PM

Never have heard of a flail mower. That's why I'm asking all this. So are they PTO driven out back? I bet expensive.  I will definitely look into the Ford tractor sites. In my heart, that is what I want. But I want it to work for me, not buy something that doesn't work well enough ( 9N, 2N and some 8Ns I know many have them, but braking issues and PTO issues make them not for me ) etc.But a later 50s, which would have most of the goodies would be great.

#35 PetesPonies OFFLINE  

PetesPonies

• Member No: 7718
  • 32 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 09:13 PM

This what I been using. 6' finish mower, 1951 ferguson tractor. Works good. Noel.

attachicon.gifFergy 1.jpgattachicon.gifFergy 2.jpg

Now that is what i was thinking. I might want toi take a few small trees now and then  :)  But hey, I took down many of trees with my LT160  , I really did.

• propane1 said thank you

#36 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 08:18 AM

Most state departments of transportation and municipalities have at least one flail mower for mowing medians and roadsides. Some are pto driven and others are hydraulic driven. The other nice thing about flails is they will mow grass and weeds at any height. 

#37 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 07:03 AM

Yeah, basically, if you can get it under the mower, it will cut/shred it up.

Here's a series of pics of the underside of my Haban 514 Flail-Mo that I run with my HT20D:

100_4738.JPG 100_4739.JPG 100_4740.JPG
100_4741.JPG 100_4742.JPG

It's front mounted which I think is better than mid or rear mounted as it cuts stuff before you run over it.

Not only do they do great in brush or grass, but in the fall, they will turn dry leaves into dust  :D :D :D

Here's a vid of it in action in some tall grass:

Edited by OldBuzzard, August 23, 2015 - 07:08 AM.

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,586 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 07:39 AM

We have a large version of a flail mower called a cutditioner
It's a great piece, pulls behind, easy-ish to care for...
HOWEVER, it does not like rocks or like items and I've had it launch stuff out the front. If you get sometihing like this, I suggest you wear a helmet. If its front mounted, I suggest you make everyone else wear one.
The swinging blades/teeth/tines will give like a brush hog when in contact with a rock or immovable but you have two main differences. It creates lift because of the rotation (a big benefit if the hay is down) and instead of one cutting edge to sharpen, you've got 50 or more.image.jpg

I've no doubt that a flail will do the job, but it's my opinion they are designed for clean environments with just foliage to deal with, not downed branches or other items that could be an issue.

#39 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 257 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 10:33 AM

I remember my dad having a flail mower when I was young it was on a Case Tractor about the same size as the Cub. It was mounted underneath mid mount & a pain to change/sharpen the blades. I was never big enough to drive it, but the one thing I remember about it was it did not have electric start to start that 4 cylinder motor was with a crank on the front. My dad always made sure us kids were a long way from the tractor before he started it because you never knew when it would crap that crank & throw it some where.

Charlie

#40 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 05:50 PM

I say if you are into ford tractors to look at something a bit newer like a 3910 or 5610.  They are still relatively low slung and have all the creature comforts like independent PTO and "live" hydraulics.  Plus the diesels in them will run a LONG time on not much fuel.  We just sold a 6610 this spring at the township I work at and we had a 5 ft cut Tiger side mount cable lift flail mower on it.  It would run an 8 hour day working pretty hard in some brush on 7 to 8 gallons of fuel.

I vote for a flail mower as well.  They keep the debris underneath the mower much better and like has already been said if an individual flail does break they are easy to replace and will not ruin anything else in the process.  Our flail head is now mounted on a brand new John Deere 6105D.  The mower head will easily take down saplings up to 2 inches in diameter without any damage.  Check out Tiger or Alamo's website to see one of them in action.

I actually found a picture of the tractor we just sold this spring.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6610.jpg

Edited by IHCubGuy, August 23, 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#41 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 08:18 PM

The main thing with flail mowers is the direction the the rotor spins. If it forward rotation the blades swing down in the front, reverse rotation the blades swing up in the front, which could launch objects out the front. Most that i have seen have forward rotation, so that if they come in contact with anything the object is driven down and not up and out.

Edited by Leonard VanCamp, August 27, 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#42 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 08:22 PM

The main thing with flail mowers is the direction the the rotor spins. If it forward rotation the blades swing down in the front, reverse rotation the blades swing up in the front, which could launch objects out the front. Most that i have seen have forward rotation, so that if they come in contact with anything the object is driven down and not up and out.

Which way is better?

#43 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 08:25 PM

For most uses the forward rotation is the best, I've only seen reverse rotation on machines that mainly do grass or farm implements like MH81 has.

• DH1 said thank you

#44 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 28, 2015 - 12:39 PM

Reverse rotation will cut better.  The one we have at work is a standard or forward rotation and it will chop 4 ft tall material down and mulch it at 5 mph.