• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 10:03 PM

A sickle bar mower for a GT isn't probably something you want to start with IMHO unless its for collecting and fun mainly.
The ones for a three point will allow you to lift much higher (the major fault with GT based units as far as I'm concerned) and reach much further out. They will cut down weeds, small saplings, grasses, etc...
Unfortunately, they also remove appendages from wandering animals/pets that get in front of it.
Neighbor had a tripod cat, but it's probably more humane that way than getting one with a brush hog or mower.

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 08:51 AM

I will add on a zero turn, we used a Ferris IS5000, 72" cut and now a Grasshopper 721D, 61" cut on the church property, we cut about 4-5 acres. Some is nice manicured aroudn the building, over half is field, steeps hills and around our pond. The ferris with it's indepenent suspension was great for the rough areas and cut super fast, but that machine did not do well on steep hills, had to get it pulled from pond 3 times, none from me though :D

We traded it for the grasshopper, man what a night/day difference on the hills. It has dual offset casters out back with ags drive tires and the deck floats out front, not intregrated like most zero turns. It has a rougher ride than the Ferris, but we can drive it up under stuff, it holds the steep banks very well, both up and down or sideways, we can even drive down almost into pond and back out without it sliding.

I cannot speak of the larger tractros with a bush hog, never driven one although I would imagine they may have a better ride on rough terrain.

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 09:44 AM

A sickle bar mower for a GT isn't probably something you want to start with IMHO unless its for collecting and fun mainly.
The ones for a three point will allow you to lift much higher (the major fault with GT based units as far as I'm concerned) and reach much further out. They will cut down weeds, small saplings, grasses, etc...
Unfortunately, they also remove appendages from wandering animals/pets that get in front of it.
Neighbor had a tripod cat, but it's probably more humane that way than getting one with a brush hog or mower.

At 15 my dad put me on a BF Avery with a Ford sickle mower. It was a manual lift for transport and it is a wonder I still have all my fingers. A sickle mower is good for making hay, because it clips the stems just above ground level and lays the whole stem over. Now what a sickle mower does not do well, is cut fence posts and woven wire. And that bar being 6 ft long and covered with grass is easy to hook in a fence.

If not raked off and removed, the stems can smother the grass since it breaks down so slowly.
A rotary mower will chew things up by cutting the stems several times before discharging.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 17, 2015 - 09:47 AM.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 PetesPonies OFFLINE  

PetesPonies

• Member No: 7718
  • 32 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the continued comments. So . . .where am I now?  :)

• MH81 said thank you

#20 PetesPonies OFFLINE  

PetesPonies

• 32 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:14 PM

I had someone on another board suggest a Yanmar tractor . .  for it relatively low cost, but great quality. I looked them up, seem decent, but gets me back to .  . if I am spending that much money and don't get an old Ford, I'l kick myself  :)

Edited by PetesPonies, August 19, 2015 - 08:47 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:54 PM

If you could find a nice Golden Jubilee, you'd have live power, live hydraulics, decent power and a big tractor feel.
It would probably run a 5' brush hog if not to heavy of grass, definitely run a 4 footer.
  • DH1 and propane1 have said thanks

#22 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:56 PM

If you could find a nice Golden Jubilee, you'd have live power, live hydraulics, decent power and a big tractor feel.
It would probably run a 5' brush hog if not to heavy of grass, definitely run a 4 footer.

I agree.

#23 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 04:24 AM

MH81, on 19 Aug 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

I think that's a good choice, then you have a tractor to use for other jobs as well. Noel

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 08:14 AM

I agree as well. If your looking for a classic Ford,the above post lists a number of firsts for Ford.
The one first not mentioned is first overhead valve engine.
I am sure that it would pull a five foot brush mower.
I pull a five footer with my 1500 and it does well in up to 3 ft of grass and weeds in range 3, gear 1.
Over that I run range 2, gear 3 and raise the mower a bit.
  • MH81 said thank you

#25 PetesPonies OFFLINE  

PetesPonies

• 32 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 08:42 AM

my grass would never be above 12 " max. I like the 600 series as well.

• MH81 said thank you

#26 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 09:40 AM

This what I been using. 6' finish mower, 1951 ferguson tractor. Works good. Noel.

Fergy 1.jpg Fergy 2.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 11:33 AM

This what I been using. 6' finish mower, 1951 ferguson tractor. Works good. Noel.

attachicon.gifFergy 1.jpgattachicon.gifFergy 2.jpg

does the Finish Mower use more power than the Brush Hog?

How about holding up to rocks and ETC?

• propane1 said thank you

#28 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 01:54 PM

I would say a finish mower would need more power because it's got 3 blades to spin, 3 bearings and a belt. Just like a garden tractor deck, but bigger and everything is heavier. May not stand up to rocks and rough terrain as well as a bush hog. Bush hog does not have as many moving parts , as far as I know, but I have never had a bush hog. The 6' finish mower cuts as good as my garden tractors. Noel

#29 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,570 Thanks
  • 3,953 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 02:57 PM

Reading through this so far, it sounds like you need an older Ford. A bush hog type rough cut for all your pasture areas and a finish mower for around the house. Also if you want to expand your tractors use by adding more attachments, the small farm tractor will give more options.

#30 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 20, 2015 - 07:33 PM

One of the best pretty much all inclusive site with info on the older classic Ford tractors is, www.oldfordtractors.com
Or do a search for Smiths old Ford Tractors. I covet his Select-o-Speed custom mower, but would prefer a rear mount mower instead of belly unit.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 20, 2015 - 07:38 PM.

• DH1 said thank you