Garden Tractor Forums banner

Can't Transfer from Scanner to email

1K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  chieffan 
#1 ·
I found out this morning the simple process I used to use to transfer a copy from the scanner to an email don't work any more. Now the copy gets sent to some foreign land, and wants a new profile made up with passwords I have no clue about. Why can't it just be sent from the scanner to an email and have it over with like Outlook Express used to do? Guess I am done transfer a hard copy to an email, all because of the stupid Windows 7 and Live Mail crap. I sure wish I had XP and Outlook Express back. At least they worked.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I have a cheap scanner that doesn't do any of that. It pretty much just photo copies and prints. If I had a decent printer, I might help you.

But any trouble you may have, I don't think is in the Windows7. It's in the Live Mail. My wife is on the same program and she just follows the instructions with the scanner. Using hers, I have scanned to a file.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
If I have a document I want to email to someone I just attach it. Gmail has an option to embed it. others like Yahoo may as well.
Attaching a document is no problem. When I have a hard copy, to get it so I can attach it it has to be scanned and sent to the PC. Then the hunt begins to find where it put it. Last time I wrote it down and was under C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\MPNavigatorEX\2015_8_16.

My email is through Gmail (+++++@gmail.com) but all my mail comes in to Live Mail. That is what I ended up with when the system was set up and W7 was put on. I looked at a couple others, Thunderbird was one, and didn't like them either. Couldn't get any mail to come in or transfer any of my contacts. Afraid to do much changing and loos all my contacts and saved messages. Kind of between a rock and a hard spot and knowing very, very little about all this technical stuff kind of stuck where I am at I guess.

#7 ·
I've had a Yahoo mail account for years that I use for questionable contacts to use in non-personal correspondence..

**I had an old off brand scanner and it worked perfectly until I had to give up using my Windows 98 OS.. :boo_hoo:

I tossed the scanner out as it was no longer compatible to use with my Vista OS.. & I looked for another scanner.. As I looked at new scanner prices I found it was cheaper to buy an All In One printer package.. As I had (and just recently threw out an old 1990 HP 832C I decided I would stick with HP.. I bought an HP B209 printer / scanner and hooked it up. Oh boy! A new toy! :dancingbanana:

What a friggin mistake!! :wallbanging:

I think since I bought the thing I printed maybe two pages that were of any quality at all.. There may have been 2 grams of ink in each cartridge as they immediately ran out.. :deadhorse: It never printed a good page afterward..

Worst piece of crap printer I've ever seen or owned. BUUUT.. Since then it is only used as a scanner.. It sits on the file cabinet for any scanning jobs I have (which aren't a lot).

The next sour taste I got from it is the overbearing HP bundled Software that came with it! I was less than enamored to say the least! I installed it and next thing I know I was getting pop-up after pop-up to buy more HP CRAP which is never going to happen again! I uninstalled the whole deal and then fought with the registry repairs I needed to make from the faulty uninstall for quite a while until I just decided to wipe out the Hard drive and reload everything on the machine and JUST THE PRINTER DRIVER when it came to that POS!!!

So now, whenever I try to scan something I have to jump hoops to find where the dang thing stores the file.. And- of course it creates the scan into a weird file extension (.hps?) to boot and you gotta fight with HP software to get is swapped over to a JPEG or other format.. PRICKS!!

So this what I do now- I'll scan the document to an on-board SD card slot (As a .jpg file!) and then transfer the file from the SD card to my Documents folder.. IT's a big PITA but now I know hat works and don't really use it often enough to dig my teeth in and set it up properly..

SO--> Mr. HP 209b your days are numbered until I find a scanner on the cheap or in a flea market or yard sale..

Be warned!!! :cowboy_shooter:

#8 ·
I hear you loud and clear WNYTractorTinkerer. I gave up on HP crap several years ago. Went through the same kind of stuff with setting up a printer. Never did get it to work right and finally gave up. HP Tech kept saying it wasn't the printer it was my CPU that was causing the problem. Sound familiar ? ? Printer went by way of the wind. Ended up buying a Canon MP 560, for which I have never been sorry. Not a cheap printer and the ink cartridges are not cheap either, (Takes 5 of them). But for quality and ease of use it can't be beat in my opinion. Especially if you print a few photos now and then.

I think the problem with it sending the document to foreign places on the PC is due to the stupid disgusting Live Mail that the tech guy put on. Tried to get him to go back to Outlook but it wont run with W7. Trying out the new version of Thunderbird now. Everybody brags on it, but they brag on the smart phone to I wouldn't have on given to me.

#9 ·
I think they wanted to sell you a new 'puter!! :wallbanging: :(

After my trusty old 832C finally bit the dust I bid adios to any Inkjet printer forever and ever! I don't print enough stuff to keep things clean and working properly and don't want to deal with cleaning the print head over and over again so I searched high and low and came up roses with a Brother 5150 Color laser printer! The thing works beautifully and I'm still on the original toner cartridges.. It will cost ~200 for new drum roll and color cartridges but the thing works flawlessly and the best part??

I only paid $250 for the thing!! Those baby's are $600 - $1000 plus all over the place.. I know- I looked and researched for a few weeks.. HERE is where I got it for anyone interested.. Sweetest deal I could find..

Good Luck!!

#10 ·
I have had this cannon for close to 2 years and have never cleaned it or anything. Just replace the ink cartridge and print. I do keep it covered all the time when not in use and I think that makes a big difference. Also it is not powered unless I need to use it. I think this also helps keep it from drawing in dust.

Back to the original question, how do I get a hard copy from the scanner to an email using T-bird now.

#12 ·
I have had this cannon for close to 2 years and have never cleaned it or anything. Just replace the ink cartridge and print. I do keep it covered all the time when not in use and I think that makes a big difference. Also it is not powered unless I need to use it. I think this also helps keep it from drawing in dust.

Back to the original question, how do I get a hard copy from the scanner to an email using T-bird now.
When the image is scanned it will need to store the image somewhere? You should get a pop-up menu when you scan a document- right? Choose a file type and folder that you can find then save the scan there and attach the file to the email you are sending..

Or is the scan automatic via some software that came with the scanner? If so you need to check the settings that the scanner puts the scan into (Usually in: C:/Users/(your user name)/My Documents/My Scans) Once you figure out where the scan is put you need to know what file type the scan is made into.. You may need to convert the scan into a universal type (**.jpg or such) and just attach the file to your mail note.. Yes, this sounds like a lot of work but it will become simple once you understand how things work in that box on your desk or floor..

#13 ·
I have a selection to make before I scan it and that is 'scan to email'. After that I select the scan button and it is a done deal. When I was running XP and I did this it would the email program and put the scanned document as an attachment to that email. The rest was simple.

Why it won't do it now I cannot figure out. The scanner has a large menu selection process to change a lot of thing that I am not familiar with at all. I have never messed with any of them. I installed the scanner with the disc that came with it and run it from there. Afraid to make any changes I don't understand as I will probably mess it up so bad it will never work right again. What ever happened to KISMIF ?

#14 ·
do you know how to manipulate files and capture 'screen shots' then save them to your H/D and upload them here?? Start a scan and once the box appears press the 'prt scr' button on your keyboard. Now open the 'Paint' program (Start. All Programs. Accessories folder) and Once the program is open press the 'paste button'

Water Water resources Plant World Flower

Photograph Plant Light Nature Font

Put it in a folder where you know where it is and paste the picture in this thread via Attaching the file like I have..

Attachments

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have never figured out how to do screen shots or how to use the 'print screen' key on the keyboard.

Followed your instructions above. After the scanner was warmed up and started the scan I pressed the 'print screen' button. Opened the paint program and when it was open I selected 'Paste' and got a picture of the screen, the post you just entered above. At least I think I got that part figured out. Never knew there was such things on here.

There is a separate screen on the printer with various selections, including send to email but I cannot find that option now for some reason. When I select 'scan' I have 3 choices, to PC, Flash drive, memory stick. I select PC, One option is USB, select To PC and it asks for the document to be placed on the scanner and close the cover.

I did find a folder I never knew existed with a whole bunch of photos in it dating back to 2007? Have no clue where they came from and need to look them over and see what is in there.

As far as sending from the scanner directly to an email, it still is not happening. Be a lot of hassle to scan it to a folder, then hunt the folder up (No choice where it goes, the scanner does that), find it as they are listed by date, then try and get it attached to an email. One more feature lost to technology. We gains a little but not there yet.

#16 ·
This is what I scanned and came up with?

Font Poster Advertising Illustration Motor vehicle

If that is the only way it can be done now with W7 and Thunderbird Mail it is a long drawn out process. There has got to be a better, and much easier way to do it. Technology just went backwards about 15 years on this operation if something simpler isn't available.

There is a 'send to email' option in Paint but it don't recognize Thunderbird and I did not see any way to change that. Options are Windows Mail or Microsoft Outlook.

Attachments

#17 ·
How old is the scanner? I'll wager Live mail wasn't invented when the thing was made..

Just 'Attach' the file to your Email in Window's live..

It only takes a second since you know where the file is---> (C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\MPNavigatorEX\2015_8_16.) or whatever date your scan is. You can also Rename the file to make it more descriptive too BTW..

Attaching a file in WLMail is easy- Just click the paper clip..

Photograph Rectangle Font Screenshot Line

The trick is to navigate to the folder and select the file you want. Once you do it once it will automatically go to the desired folder next time and will save you some time.

So that is the easiest way you will be able to do it and once you wrap your noggin around it it will be easy..

Geek school is closed now!!

Attachments

#18 ·
Thanks much for all your help. I know for you computer nerds it is hard to cope with people that know little about the technical things, especially new programs.

I trashed Live Mail (it sucks big time) for Thunderbird and that is where I am staying. What difference does it make if the scanner was built prior to Live Mail? All it recognizes it Microsoft stuff. Like I said The computer technology went backwards about 15 years on this operation, and lot of other too.

Have a good day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.