Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Fired up the generator from WW2 when the power went out.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 08:26 PM

I picked up an old PE-75 generator from my cousin last year and it's been sitting in the shed. A nasty thunder storm took out the power hours ago, so I wheeled the heavy old relic over to the house. Some fresh gas, two pulls, and I plugged some lights in and put the coffee on. The power came back on an hour later and I was disappointed. The old Briggs ZZ engine ran smooth and I got a kick out of hearing it run for a while. Here is another PE-75 I picked up last year. It ran fine, but smoked. I'm rebuilding the engine which looks to have low hours on it, but I think the oil pump pick up was plugged and the previous owner must have seized it up. The piston was galled up and the rings were stuck in the ring lands. I have a .010 piston for it and I'll rebuild it eventually.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141102_154404-1.jpg

Edited by classic, August 15, 2015 - 08:32 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 08:37 PM

Just a side note. If you ever pick up one of these old engines that has an oil pump, pull the oil pan/engine base off and clean out the oil pump system. Over time if not used, the oil can turn to grease in the bottom 1/2" of the pan. This is what I found after I pulled the engine apart. The above generator was in near new condition internally, except for the galling on the piston.
  • Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 09:47 PM

Great to have the old stuff running and doing its job. I doubt if any of those are around here in my area. A lot of the old stuff on this site I look at, most of it would never been sold in this area. So that's the way it is. Maybe some day I can get down in the US to see stuff I would never see here. Noel.
  • classic and chieffan have said thanks

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 09:59 PM

I get a kick out of using the old stuff, Noel. These generators were advertised many years ago as surplus. I've seen more than a few for sale within a two hour drive and some have been in real good shape. They are extremely heavy and not practical for this day and age, but fun to mess around with. The Briggs ZZ engines are one of my favorites, and they run great if everything is in order. I find it interesting that this old machinery is still floating around.
  • propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 11:17 PM

That war has been over almost 70 years to the day----VJ day . I love the old military stuff with engines and as said very heavy but very well built.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,494 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 05:37 AM

Glad the old generator came to the rescue for you! You never know when they will be very handy!