#16 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 08:10 PM

We had been running various AT tires on my wife's Xterra since new but I decided to pick up a set of studless ice tires a few years ago as she's originally from OK and not a native snow driver. I figured every little bit of safety would be a good idea for her. After a good bit of research and a screamin' deal on a discontinued size tire, I ended up with Continental Extreme Winter Contact snows. It is nothing short of AMAZING what a difference the newer generations of studless snows can make. I have nothing but praise for these tires. I will say, though that modern snows are now splintering off into more specialized catagories. Most of the "studless" tires focus heavily on packed snow and ice use but give up some deep snow performance. The studable snows tend to be better in the deep snow but not as good on the packed stuff unless studded. You have to pick for whatever conditions you encounter more often. The good thing is, the tread compounds have improved dramatically in the last decade or so, even on the low end snows. Just about ANY snow tire is going to be better than the best all season.

#17 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 09:05 PM

My RAM2500 has Cooper Discoverers on it, helpless in 4wd let alone 2wd, plan to look for a set of BF Goodrich all terrains to put on it this fall like my dad's old '84 F250 had on it, they were an excellent all around tire.

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,944 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 05:09 AM

The driving conditions of snow varies a lot in different regions. A guy moved into the area one fall. He laughed at the way we prepared for 8" of snow. Where he came from, schools would be open and everyone went to work. They had dry powdery snow that you can drive through. Here we usually have wet snow that is slick. He said he sure found out what 6" of can do to you.