17 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 01:28 PM

I know I know but like it or not it's coming.

I've never in my life purchased dedicated snow tires.

I have Cooper discovery at3 tires on my Tacoma but since I drive a lot of miles for work and my truck is my way home on my days off and I do not want to miss a weekend home because of snow. They are high rated for snow but thought maybe a nice dedicated snow tire would do better.

I have an extra set of rims for it so I can easily throw a set on them.

Anyone have any recommendations?

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 01:31 PM

Don't talk about snow yet !!!! Noel
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 01:35 PM

I've run Bridgestone Blizzark DMV-1 tires on my 2004 Ford F150 in the past. Now I have Cooper Discoverer AT3 on it after wearing out the dealer summer tires and winter tires. The key to winter tires is a softer rubber compound, which is why you are not supposed to run them in the summer, and they wear faster. But on a 90 degree summer day, wearing winter tires, with a 4.6 Liter V8, my truck would hook up and put you back in the seat excellently lol. :D

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, August 15, 2015 - 01:36 PM.

• Gtractor, toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 01:39 PM

I just keep a set of chains(actually cables now) in the back of the van in winter. Just learn the way to put them on without jacking. Its just laying out the chains and driving part way onto them and then hooking them together. Good Luck, Rick

• toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 02:26 PM

I've run Bridgestone Blizzark DMV-1 tires on my 2004 Ford F150 in the past. Now I have Cooper Discoverer AT3 on it after wearing out the dealer summer tires and winter tires. The key to winter tires is a softer rubber compound, which is why you are not supposed to run them in the summer, and they wear faster. But on a 90 degree summer day, wearing winter tires, with a 4.6 Liter V8, my truck would hook up and put you back in the seat excellently lol. :D

It is no secret, that I lurk all over the Internet. Being almost 1/2 mile down a gravel road that I have to maintain I dream of a plow truck.
Plow site is one I frequent. It is a forum dedicated to pro and amerature plow truck operators.
Those blizzark tires are highly praise on snow and ice. But they recommend changing them for a harder blend in spring and summer.
  • wvbuzzmaster, toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 02:33 PM

I had Hankook ' s on my old ranger they were great in the snow. The new Nissan has bfg they did good last year. I hear lots of complaints about cooper tires that they wear out really fast and suck in the rain
  • OldBuzzard and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 03:36 PM

It is no secret, that I lurk all over the Internet. Being almost 1/2 mile down a gravel road that I have to maintain I dream of a plow truck.
Plow site is one I frequent. It is a forum dedicated to pro and amerature plow truck operators.
Those blizzark tires are highly praise on snow and ice. But they recommend changing them for a harder blend in spring and summer.

Yup, I followed the recommendation the second summer. The first summer though, I did not, as I had other priorities than swapping tire sets. I gave up a lot of my free time after work to look after Grandpa after Grandma passed away that Spring. Overall maintenance on my truck went by the wayside that first year. Still hang out with Grandpa, and now run all season tires on my truck.
  • JD DANNELS and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 03:45 PM

I just run a set of HI mileage all seasons on my truck and never have had trouble.  if you have 4x4 and half a clue which I am sure you do than all seasons are all you will need.  the trouble with snow tires is they are softer rubber and wear out 2x as fast but cost 2x more money.  The only time I have ever used a dedicated snow tire is on my wifes vw when we lived up on a really steep hill that was not well maintained, then she got what the tire shop recommended and I don't remember what they were.  drive safe, and for the record !!!!!!!!!!!  it will not snow !!!-------------------------till January :thumbs:

• JD DANNELS, toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#9 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 03:47 PM

I'm a big fan of Nokian Hakkapeliittas.  They act like a soft rubber in the winter but are able to survive warmer temperatures than most ice radials.  But, what would folks from Finland know about winter ;) .

IMHO, a 2nd set of rims for the winters is a requirement.  That way you don't risk damaging the beads swapping tires.

Not statistically significant, but I have a 2002 Chev Malibu that ran the same set of winter tires for 10 years.  They went on and off at the time changes, so they did get some >70F time on them and probably ran them at least 80K miles (actual usage and temperatures were in metric).

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 03:49 PM

For my truck... The Blizzaks are cheaper than all seasons...
I should add that when I bought my first set of Blizzaks they were used and mounted on Ford F150 rims already. They seller had sold his truck in the summer and forgot to send the winter tires with it lol. So for $400 I had a set of four winter tires on rims that fit my truck, that only had one winter of wear on them. I got two more winters out of them, and one summer, so I would say you could get 4 winters out of them or more.

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 03:53 PM

Maybe I'll just stick with the all seasons then. I've always done that in the past.

I love these Cooper at3. They have 10k miles on them already and they have performed great in the dry and rain. My friend with a Tacoma also has them and he gets 50k a set out if them. He is on his 3rd set after factor rugged fails came off
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#12 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 03:54 PM

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado Z-71 extended cab,

It had Bridgestone Dueler A/T 's on it from the factory. I got 75,000 miles out of them so  replaced with the same thing. I got 75,000 out of the second set...would have got more but was going into winter, so I replaced them. I am on my 3rd set of these tires and have had very good wear & winter use.

Driving conditions and the individual driver make a lot of difference.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 04:41 PM

Only reason I have gone thru two sets of tires on my truck is I had massive toe out issues with it (struts). It's funny that every set of tires I have used on my truck... Are on another set of rims. I'm up to 3 sets.... Hmmmm.... Triples for extra stability at high speed turning? Lol

#14 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 11:54 PM

I had Hankook ' s on my old ranger they were great in the snow. ...

I'm in NE Ohio near Cleveland and we had plenty of snow last winter

I have a set of Hankook Dynapro ATMs on my Dakota and they were great in the snow!

They are "all terrain' tires, but work well in the rain and snow, plus I can leave them on all year long.

I highly recommend them and suggest that you do some research of your own on them.

#15 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 05:47 AM

Yeah that's what I had those dynapro atms's. They were great tires