Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

People who don't live up to their words.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 10:25 AM

I called a guy about the york rake Boyscout listed here yesterday afternoon . I told him i couldn't be there till morning just too far that late in the day to go. I asked if I could do it first thing in the morning and would he hold it for me. he said sure but he had to run some errands , how about after noon? Sure I'll call be fore i leave make sure you'll be back . "no problem " he said. 

You know where this is going. I called him before I was about to leave, and he says "Who are you? Oh no I sold that last night !" I said " I thought You were going to hold it?" He said the next caller could pick it up right now. I then asked why didn't you call me back? Let me know or we could have negotiated a better deal.. " my phone was working right and I couldn't get your number ."  

I hate people who don't honor their word. Why make a deal if your not going to stand by it? And don't make excuses, just be honest!

What pisses me off is this was for a friend, not for me. I've already told him and he says " no worries", but I feel bad, got his hopes for a new attachment and greed, low morals gets in the way. Dam CL

At least I called before I  drove all the way there.

Thanks for reading and letting me get that off my chest.

• olcowhand, MH81, hamman and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 10:38 AM

Wish I had a nickle every time that has happened to me,literally.When many people find out how under priced their items are they turn it into an auction.

I bought a JD 40 loader and misc for $1200 and which at the time was worth around $3000 and the guy said he would hold it for me.Said he had some guy call him 3 times and offered substantially more money than what I paid for it but he said that he already made a deal and he stuck with his word.

Once a deal is made and a seller goes back on their word,I am done with that person.Negotiations are are before the deal is made.

You should only feel bad when you do something wrong,you have no control over someone else doing something wrong.

What kind of york rake are you looking for?

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 10:43 AM

I'm sorry to hear that Tom. I was looking forward to seeing you again. I guess it is just one of those days, the van is not going well too.

I had wanted you to see D'Elias Plane Museum in Scotland. It is only open Saturdays and Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It is one of the finest American Made Plane colections in the world. The owner/curator is an extremely nice and knowledgeable man. I've got to get over there too. Good Luck, Rick

BTW As I said yesterday, the rake seemed to have been modified. It may have been more work to straighten out than it was worth.

Edited by boyscout862, August 15, 2015 - 10:46 AM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 10:48 AM

Drove a few hours once to get a c10 pickup. Got about 5 miles from the guys house and seen it on a trailer being towed away. People are rude. Ignorant and self serving
  • boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 11:36 AM

People are rude. Ignorant and self serving

And as often as not just flat out lie about the condition of what they are selling. Usually turns into a long drive for nothing.  :mad2:

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 12:14 PM

Got so many stories all sound about the same as the ones in this post.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 12:20 PM

Been there, done that. Let me tell you a story about a Springfield. I never deal through Facebook, but i made an exception on this one, as it was up in Pennsylvania, and so was Alan. I made the deal in type on Facebook and arranged for Alan to retrieve it in one week. I sent Alan the money to pay on pickup. It was negotiated $100 less than he was asking, and it was his idea! That Friday upcoming I got a text from Alan saying "This starfish is trying to sell it out from under you." So a few calls to this guy he finally calls me back. We go through the whole spiel and I guilt him back into selling me the Springfield. I told him it could be another week before Alan could get since he (the seller) had delayed the transaction. So almost all ready to roll the starfish calls and says he needs it to mow (ya right) so if he could have a week or two to get another mower tractor he would call me to pick it up. I responded "Whatever" and hung up.

Now this is where most stories end...but this one gets more interesting. At FCVAEC Plow Day (hosted by Jeff Bell) I spot the exact Springfield (it had a distinct grille modification) and it was in the Bell garden tractor line-up. So I grab Alan and point out the Springfield. We laugh and I strike a deal with Jeff to buy it. Love a happy ending lol.

So just when you think you are defeated... It could get way more interesting.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, August 15, 2015 - 12:39 PM.

• MH81, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 12:53 PM

the best part of this is that you had the sense to call ahead, you didn't waste half your day driving around the state for nothing.  things work out in the long run trust me, see you tomorrow.

Pete

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 01:27 PM

Don't blame CL for the people that use it.  CL is only a medium to get a seller and buyer together.  What happens after that is not CL, it is the people doing the dealing.

• Cvans, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 08:50 PM

"Wish I had a nickel". Yep, it's a frustration
I've had 2 people stop answering their phone after I'm already on the road and they said they would give me directions enroute
I managed to find one of them by address and really gave them a verbal. His wife was embarrassed to be married to him and he was insinuating that he should call the cops because I showed up. (Years before GPS prevalence)
I was tempted to let him just to mess up more of his evening.
I was young and much more hot headed than now.
  • wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 10:28 PM

I was young and much more hot headed than now.

If the crazy you now is mellow, then I hate to run into the crazier you then lol.
  • MH81 said thank you

#12 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 11:07 PM

Actually had a buyer give me crap because I chose to be honest and wait for another person to come look at the item, said that she never holds anything for anyone that she has for sale on craigslist, then when he didn't take it was too small (it was a dump cart), don't think she even looked at the pics.

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#13 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 05:40 AM

Don't blame CL for the people that use it.  CL is only a medium to get a seller and buyer together.  What happens after that is not CL, it is the people doing the dealing.

I don't blame CL, i was just mad. It is a great way to buy and sell .

• boyscout862 and Marty'70 have said thanks