Single stage snow blowers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

• Member No: 73571
  • 902 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 07:45 AM

I was wondering how well the single stage blowers work compared to dual stage blowers. We get a lot of snow here and it is usually wet and heavy. The last two winters I have had snow banks high enough that my dual stage walk behind blower could not throw the snow any higher ( around 6' high) . I had to get out the shovel and take a couple feet off the top of the banks a couple times each winter to be able to clear snow. I am thinking of mounting a blower on my Bolens 1054, but I don't know if a single stage blower would handle the heavy wet snow, or if my tractor has enough power to run a 38" blower in heavy wet snow. 

• FrozenInTime and marcusqp18 have said thanks

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,051 Thanks
  • 2,092 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 08:37 AM

In general, single-stage blowers do not work as well for heavy, wet snow as a 2-stage blower.

Of course, there are many variables which affect its performance, such as rpm and travel speed, as well as condition of the blower, and setting of the discharge chute.

If you have a narrow driveway, with nowhere to put the snow except to pile it right next to the drive, eventually either style blower will have difficulty getting the snow any higher. 

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,514 Thanks
  • 7,377 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Last winter was bad. I plow with a Ford 2000 with a front end loader. This past year we had so much snow that the piles were 10+ feet high. I am going to try to widen my driveway to allow a larger "snow shelf" on each side. I will hopefully go from 12" wide to 20'+ wide. I will then plow to the full width of the shelves early in the winter and figure that the more snow the narrower the driveway will get.

The blowers can be great.If you already have a blower for your Bolens, go ahead and try it. Cleaning and coating the blower can help alot.  Allow yourself extra room early in the season and you may be able to save yourself some shovelling. Good Luck, Rick

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 10:57 AM

I think you could do with a more powerful walk behind blower. I had a small blower but upgraded to a more powerful one about 10 years ago. It will toss the snow a good 15ft in the air. I've seen some tractor mounted dual stage units that would throw snow a long ways up and out. Most single stage units are not as aggressive and heavy snow tends to be more of an issue. 

• boyscout862 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#5 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 04:28 PM

I had a single stage, I sold it after 1st years use.  They work awesome in *dry* snow but you have to, depending on how deep/thick it is, move at a pretty good clip to keep it full otherwise it does not blow well.  Throw some wet snow into it, your better off using a kids sandbox plastic shovel!  I have a Snapper 2 stage walk behind, it got more use than that blower I had.

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,240 Thanks
  • 7,472 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 05:11 PM

I agree with Bruce and others. Another issue depends on the brand of the single stage. A single stage is potentially cheaper to make and therefore can be more poorly engineered. One example is the fit of the fins to the blower walls. Some guys have added aftermarket fins to the machine and improved the performance. Some machines have poorly designed plastic chutes that tend to plug up easily.

What I am saying is some 1 stage can work(Case/Ingersol?), but your probably better off with a 2 stage.

#7 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

• Member No: 73571
  • 902 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 11:05 PM

I maybe should have mentioned that there are no factory built dual stage blowers available for my tractor, just single stage. I could build or adapt a dual stage to fit, but I don't have the time or the money to get that done before this winter. My walk behind is actually a pretty capable machine, it can throw around 15' high as well at the top of the arc, but when you are in close to the banks, the snow hits the bank and falls back down. I only have a couple of spots where it gets piled up that high, so it isn't too big of a problem. I saw a few single stage blowers to fit my tractor and I was wondering if they were worthwhile, I think I will pass on that and stick to the walk behind. Thanks for all the replys guys.

• boyscout862 said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,334 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 06:08 AM

I don't know about the Bolens units, but some blowers go further than others.

You might investigate making a different chute with an "up and over" design.
Use the regular one until it starts to become an issue, then change it for the last of the year.

#9 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 368 Thanks
  • 290 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 02:18 PM

I was using a Bolens 1220 first with the yellow square back blower then with a later black round back . The newer round back worked better but my drive is only 125 feet long so now I use this .Think it is is a 1972 , works great and has unusual blower wheel .Snow Flite b.jpg

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,341 Thanks
  • 4,933 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 04:10 PM

Maintaining your auger speed is critical to throwing snow with a single stage snow thrower.