• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,619 Thanks
  • 17,959 posts

Posted August 11, 2017 - 07:50 AM

At some point a dealer pitched this idea to Tecumseh and they latched onto it, its actually a modified crochet hook which serves as a puller/installer for the seat as well as a float setting tool

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN8429.JPG

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and logmillingman have said thanks

#167 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,144 Thanks
  • 44,148 posts

Posted August 11, 2017 - 10:31 AM

Kenny:  The best way to remove the seat for re-use is to blow it out with compressed air applied to the fuel inlet elbow.

Be sure to cover it with a rag to prevent launching the seat into unknown territory.

In an earlier post, you questioned the small screw under the plate over the carb.  ...This screw is used to adjust the top speed (rpm) to increase or limit the rpms at full throttle. ...It has no effect on fuel mixture.

I figured that out.

At some point a dealer pitched this idea to Tecumseh and they latched onto it, its actually a modified crochet hook which serves as a puller/installer for the seat as well as a float setting tool

I took a piece of mig wire and made a small hook on the end to take the old seat out.

• WrenchinOnIt and logmillingman have said thanks

#168 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,144 Thanks
  • 44,148 posts

Posted August 18, 2017 - 11:51 AM

Well, I fooled with it some more today. Got it to run, but no idle. Wore me out yanking on the rope. Came in to look up settings for the carb and walked back out to a flooding issue again! I've had it. Think it's time it found a new home! I haven't the patience to mess with this fickle engine! Don't care for Tecumseh engines anyways! It either goes to a new home or I'm converting it to a B&S with electric start!

• Delmar and logmillingman have said thanks

#169 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,849 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted August 18, 2017 - 06:52 PM

Well, I fooled with it some more today. Got it to run, but no idle. Wore me out yanking on the rope. Came in to look up settings for the carb and walked beack out to a flooding issue again! I've had it. Think it's time it found a new home! I haven't the patience to mess with this fickle engine! Don't care for Tecumseh engines anyways! It either goes to a new home or I'm converting it to a B&S with electric start!

My experience with Tecumseh engines was carb problems, valve problems, and broken connecting rods. I've had a little luck disassembling the carbs and soaking them in old gas. The replaceable float valve seats can loosen when dried out. This causes flakey float operation. Those floats sink frequently too. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP and logmillingman have said thanks

#170 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,144 Thanks
  • 44,148 posts

Posted August 19, 2017 - 05:12 AM

Float is good, but unable to set to specs. Won't bend that far. Has new needle and seat.

• boyscout862 and logmillingman have said thanks

#171 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 385 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted August 19, 2017 - 07:07 AM

I was having the same problem with flooding on my tech carb on my 1456 (H14) the engine was changed in the eighties to a OH160 XL, so what I did was finally take it down to the power equipment place that I deal with and had them put it in their sonic cleaner and then bebuild the carb.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks