10 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 06:10 PM

I am using Win 7 (unfortunately) along with Windows Live Mail.  I have several photos in a folder called Auction Photos, which is used as a temp. storage folder.  I want to move several of them to a new folder under a sub folder, under a main folder called Bolens.  Bolens is a main folder under drive C.  What is the procedure to move these photos.  Thanks to Windows NO HELP  I cannot figure out how to do it.  Or can it be done??

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Yes it can be done in many ways...

Sounds like you know how to use Windows Explorer if you are looking at the folders..

If you want to make another sub-folder all you need to do is right-click on the parent folder you want the new folder to be in and a menu will pop up.  left click on 'New Folder'.

A new folder aptly named 'new folder' will appear,,  You can right click on it and rename it to whatever you want..  If you put it in the wrong place down't fret..  left click over the new folder and hold the button down and you can move the folder wherever you want...  

Hope this makes sense to you and helps you out!!

• chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 07:19 PM

Thanks much for the help.  I got the new folder named OK and is under the Bolens  parent folder.  Now how do I get the photos out of Auction Photos (under C) to the new Photo folder under Bolens?   When I right click on the photo is has several choices and one is send to:  But to another folder is not an option.  In Explorer is was real simple and used it all the time but this Windows 7 is a whole new can of worms.

Edited by chieffan, August 14, 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 08:14 PM

Go to the temp folder. depress the shift key and click on each of the photos you want to move.  Right click and select cut.  Next navigate over to the folder you want to put the photos in.  Right click again and select paste. you should now see the photo in the new folder.  There are a number of ways to do it but I figured this would be the easiest to explain and to execute.

• sodisr, WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Hay, thanks a bunch.  That worked real slick.  Never knew one could cut and past a photo, or anything, but text.  All I ever used it for was text.  I really hate it when a machine is smarter than I am but guess I am going to have to learn to live with that fact.  Thanks again.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Another way to highlight files to move or do something with them is called lasso.  Open the folder, put your mouse pointer in the folder hold down the left mouse button and circle the files you wish to do something with.  I would suggest at first only try doing it with all the files then when you get used to doing it then you can cut part of the files out of the herd.

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 15, 2015 - 07:41 PM

If there are 4 photo is a row in one folder, how do you lasso the first, second and forth photo and not the third ? ?

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 16, 2015 - 10:54 AM

What I would do is lasso all of them then just use the CTRL key and click on the third photo which would deselect it. 

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 04:29 PM

I have been messing around with that lasso thing off and on for 2 weeks now and have not figured out how it is done.  I open the folder with the photos, hold down the left mouse button and drag it around  the photos I want and release the button.  Nothing.  They are just like they were when I started.  I did the circling bit and even though nothing was indicated tried to do a cut and past and nothing followed.  Does this really work - - - - or is this something some computer nerds are having fun with us dummies with?

Edited by chieffan, August 30, 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 05:04 PM

Just Left-click in the folder whose contents you want move and then press CTRL and A at the same time (Select All) Right-click anywhere within the files you selceted and click Cut.  Navigate to the new folder and click on it to activate and CTRL-V or right-click Paste.  Windows has many ways to do the same thing..  

You can also drag and drop the files or there are even more ways to move things about.  

Be warned!  If you cut anything and don't paste it you will risk losing all that data being pictures or manuals or what-not.  Be safe and back the information up before deleting anything..   :smashing_pc:

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 05:29 PM

Just Left-click in the folder whose contents you want move and then press CTRL and A at the same time (Select All) Right-click anywhere within the files you selceted and click Cut.  Navigate to the new folder and click on it to activate and CTRL-V or right-click Paste.  Windows has many ways to do the same thing..  

You can also drag and drop the files or there are even more ways to move things about.  .Be warned!  If you cut anything and don't paste it you will risk losing all that data being pictures or manuals or what-not.  Be safe and back the information up before deleting anything..   :smashing_pc:

Thanks.  That makes a lot more sense than playing rodeo or cowboy with the files.  I'm think more all along that the lassoing bit is a gimmick.

Edited by chieffan, August 31, 2015 - 05:31 PM.